autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy What constitutes a "well-ventilated area" for FK1000P?

I just finished trying FK1000P, and I have mixed impressions of the product. But I'm mostly curious to know what detailers here think a "well-ventilated area" includes. If you read the label of FK1000P, it's got some pretty nasty stuff in it, and has to be treated with care for health and safety. The strong chemical smell was evident from the moment I opened the can. Because of some nearby trees that seem to shed every time I want to detail a car, I usually pull my vehicles into my multiple bay garage for all steps after washing and drying. Use outside is pretty much impossible.

Even though I left the garage doors fully open after pulling in my vehicle, you just couldn't escape that intense smell, and so I began to question if this product can be used in a garage at all. Is a garage with doors open considered "well-ventilated"? I've polished and sealed cars with other products without harsh smells (and without the extreme warnings on the product's label), so I'm not sure I'm interested in continuing use of this product given these circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What constitutes a "well-ventilated area" for FK1000P?

Maybe use a few fans to evacuate more air?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just used FK1000K three times in my garage in the last week. If I'm not here in a week, you'll know a garage isn't ventilated enough.

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to the smell and ventilation issues, I just wasn't impressed with it. I had MUCH better results from McKee's 37 360. In fairness, I didn't polish before applying FK1000P, and that would have probably yielded better results, but that would have also added another step that I don't need with 360, and the 360's durability and shine has held up very well on the vehicles I've used it on.

I'm not saying FK1000P is a bad product, but given modern AIO sealants like 360, I personally am not seeing enough extra benefit from FK1000P to make it worth the extra steps and ventilation issues.

Maybe others have a different perspective??

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah....a good example of YMMV, Swedish. I have two new cars I used the FK1000K on (both in my garage, btw). On one of them I used 3D HD Polish+ then topped with FK1000P. On the other car I used McKee's 37 360 in lieu of the HD Polish+ before topping it with the FK1000P. I actually preferred the finish of the 2nd car with 360 over the first car that had the HD Polish+. The FK1000P applied equally well to both cars. (And both are new Fords with the exact same paint color).

I must admit that I'm not even close to a professional detailer, and am more concerned with the protection that's on my vehicles than having a show car shine (although I'm quite pleased with the gloss, which is a tinier bit better on the car with the 360).

Obviously, experiences vary...I can only speak to my (limited) experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishRider View Post
    If you read the label of FK1000P,
    it's got some pretty nasty stuff
    in it, and has to be treated with
    care for health and safety.
    •IMO: It's not that "nasty".
    -This is why:

Don't know if you're familiar with
    California, USA's very stringent
    environmental rules and regulations, but,
    FK1000P is California VOC compliant.
    (what's known in some circles as:
    "No small accomplishment!")

The strong chemical smell was evident
    from the moment I opened the can.
    Many, many, many detailing products
    contain petroleum distillates.

Is a garage with doors open considered
    "well-ventilated"?
    I don't ever have my garage doors
    open when I detail. (I don't want a
    bunch of contaminates coming into
    my garage messing up my work.)

I'm not sure I'm interested in
    continuing use of this product
    given these circumstances.
    Some people do have issues with
    certain detailing products/chemicals;
    while others can tolerate the exact
    same detailing products/chemicals
    and be trouble-free.

I blame it on:
    The nature of the (human) beast.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Prior to last Fall when I coated my car, I used FK1000p as my winter protection here in New England for the last 8 years. Great protection and shine that lasted till at least into May.

I pretty much always detail my car in my garage with the door closed and never had a problem with a strong odor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas1 View Post
    Prior to last Fall when I coated my car, I used FK1000p as my winter protection here in New England for the last 8 years. Great protection and shine that lasted till at least into May.

I pretty much always detail my car in my garage with the door closed and never had a problem with a strong odor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everyone has their own tolerance levels, like Bob mentioned above.

Being a mechanic pretty much my whole life, I have been around gas, diesel, exhaust fumes, solvents, you name it. None of it has ever bothered me.

Is this a good thing? I'm betting it isn't health-wise. But it's just part of the job.

But some people can tolerate it, and some can't.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •IMO: It's not that "nasty".
    -This is why:

Don't know if you're familiar with
    California, USA's very stringent
    environmental rules and regulations, but,
    FK1000P is California VOC compliant.
    (what's known in some circles as:
    "No small accomplishment!")
    I'm certainly not looking to get into an argument, but I attached two pics of the warnings on the label of FK1000P. It says:
    Harmful if inhaled. Causes damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure.
    What constitutes a "well-ventilated area" for FK1000P?-img_0306-jpgWhat constitutes a "well-ventilated area" for FK1000P?-img_0307-jpg

It goes on to say not to breathe the fumes, and to use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area.

I did look at my McKee's 360 bottle, and while it does have the usual cautions, it doesn't have the same level of warning that is on the FK1000P. And it's also California VOC compliant.

I won't give up on it just yet- I actually like the idea of using it to top my M37 360 for very long durability and protection... but I may also try to use fans or something to get some air flow in my garage when working with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OzzieMike View Post
    On the other car I used McKee's 37 360 in lieu of the HD Polish+ before topping it with the FK1000P. I actually preferred the finish of the 2nd car with 360 over the first car that had the HD Polish+. The FK1000P applied equally well to both cars. (And both are new Fords with the exact same paint color).
    How long did you wait to allow the 360 to cure before topping with the FK1000P? Using FK1000P as a top to 360 sounds very appealing. I didn't really like the results I got with it (without polishing), but as a top to 360, I would think that would give incredible durability and gloss since the 360 takes car of surface cleaning and polishing.

Anything else you do when using 360 and FK1000P together?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast