autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Polish fpr new car

I just purchased a 2017 Honda Accord with a light silver (Lunar Mist) paint.
    I am going to use Optimum Gloss Coat as a sealant, but need to prep the paint first.

I believe they put some kind of wax on the car from the dealer. I'm going to use IPA,
    then clay the paint, but am not sure if I need to use a cleaner, and if so what is a nice mild cleaner?
    I have a Porter Cable 7424XL buffer and different pads. The Honda paint is in my opinion thin, though I measured it
    with my meter at around 130 micrometers on most of the car. So I'm not too enthused to use anything too strong, if I need anything at all...??

Years ago I would follow any cleaning with Meguiars hand or machine glaze before the final sealer, but
    I think this may not be a good idea with Optimum Gloss Coat.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish fpr new car

Congrats on the car. We just got an accord too. Paint wasn't bad really just a couple spot corrections I could see and a little bit of wash marring from the short time it was on the lot

I wouldn't use a glaze before the gloss coat

Wash, Decon, clay. Determine if you want to polish. There is likely to be at least a little improvement. But at a minimum use the optimum paint prep them gloss coat

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Matt,

Thank you for the tips. I have to look up optimum paint prep, but I assume it is as good as prep sol, or denatured alcohol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlestek View Post
    I just purchased a 2017 Honda Accord with a light silver (Lunar Mist) paint.
    I am going to use Optimum Gloss Coat as a sealant, but need to prep the paint first.

I believe they put some kind of wax on the car from the dealer. I'm going to use IPA,
    then clay the paint, but am not sure if I need to use a cleaner, and if so what is a nice mild cleaner?
    I have a Porter Cable 7424XL buffer and different pads. The Honda paint is in my opinion thin, though I measured it
    with my meter at around 130 micrometers on most of the car. So I'm not too enthused to use anything too strong, if I need anything at all...??

Years ago I would follow any cleaning with Meguiars hand or machine glaze before the final sealer, but
    I think this may not be a good idea with Optimum Gloss Coat.

Thanks.
    Consider getting optimum hyper polish as well as their paint prep. Unless you want to get the same answer i got from Optimum when gloss coat failed as I used M205.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Consider getting optimum hyper polish as well as their paint prep. Unless you want to get the same answer i got from Optimum when gloss coat failed as I used M205.
    Wow, it is great to know this. Although it seems Optimum is forcing you to use all their products in order to use their sealant, at an "Optimum" price point.....

Going to take some shipping days from AutoGeek to get the stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

You gotta understand these companies are trying to sell you on synergy and only their own products work together if it fails it's because you used not one of their products. If you do use all theirs then it's user error you wiped it too soon, got it wet too soon, didn't maintain it properly etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My go to right now is HD Polish+. With Honda soft paint you'll be able to buff out most moderate scuffs and scratches. Use IPA after you polish and you'll be ready for Gloss Coat.

Post Thanks / Like

The nice thing about Honda paint being so soft is that it correct very easy. I worked on my wife's new honda Fit and used Menzerna 3 in 1 with orange LC thin pro pads and that removed every problem I had found in the paint. The only trick is I couldn't let the pad slow down on the paint after turning the PC off, I had to either do that on an area still to be polished or lift the machine up. Letting the pad slow on the paint marred it. Once I learned that it was a breeze to get the paint in perfect shape.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    You gotta understand these companies are trying to sell you on synergy and only their own products work together if it fails it's because you used not one of their products. If you do use all theirs then it's user error you wiped it too soon, got it wet too soon, didn't maintain it properly etc.
    I find it quite odd that they were trying to blame someone else's product. As such they should make the instructions for using gloss coat very explicit. I'm not even sure my box has instructions.

How are you going to remove the gloss coat that didn't stick? What do they recommend to remove gloss coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post
    My go to right now is HD Polish+. With Honda soft paint you'll be able to buff out most moderate scuffs and scratches. Use IPA after you polish and you'll be ready for Gloss Coat.
    Since the car is brand new, looking carefully at the paint I don't see any visible defects, save a little grease on the running board. Of course I have to remove the wax that ?Honda or the Dealer put on the car, but as far as I can tell it otherwise would be ready for gloss coat. It does sound like I need a mild polish to remove every last bit of wax, or do I?

As far as the paint being soft, I noticed that as a got a nick on my door edge after carefully opening the door against the side of the house on the driveway. That is terrible. I guess they must save the hard clear coat for Acura's.....