autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Which cleaner/wax to maintain my daily drivers?

Which cleaner/wax to maintain my daily drivers?

Anytime I get questions via e-mail, a PM or a FB message I prefer to invest my typing time where

A: It's easier for me to share links, pictures and videos.

B: More people can read and thus benefit from the information. (no just one set of eyeballs)

So I get an e-mail asking,

Mike,

Forgive me in advance. I respect you are very busy but hopefully you can find a minute to reply. I followed you for a while now, you are the guru of car care. I read so many auto forums and its the same thing...so many people who seem they have no clue what they are talking about. You have earned your credibility!

My goal is much different than your typical car enthusiast. 99% of everyone out there is all about the "appearance" of the paint. Although that would be a nice perk, if possible, it is far from what I am trying to accomplish. My goal is to find the best product(s) that offer the highest protection to my paint. I want the best option to protect against UV, fading, surface scratches, road salt, ect... to the FULLEST amount of protection.

I read your article on

The Difference Between a Cleaner/Wax and a Finishing Wax

But I am stuck on trying to figure out which products will offer the best bulletproof protection. I love the idea of going with an AOI for quick/easy but have no idea if it will offer the same protection as using a polish/paint sealant combo. Again, I could care less about appearance, I just want to apply something every 3 or so months that will make my car as bulletproof as possible.

I drive a 2015 Toyota Camry and 2014 Honda Civic. Both are daily drivers and I'm trying to protect my investment...not show it off so to speak!

Also, considering I am not going for appearance all all about protection, does it matter if I hand apply vs use DA polisher? Is there any protection gained/lost between these 2 application methods?

Mark

Great questions Mark and thank you for reaching out to me.

I just now found your e-mail in my in-box as I was looking for an e-mail related to our upcoming roadshow class in Wisconsin's this weekend, below is my short answer as I don't have a lot of typing time.

YES get a simple dual action polisher to wax your two daily drivers. I've been doing this for a long time and I can no longer count how many times someone will say AFTER buying a polisher,

I should have bought a polisher years ago

You will thinks and feel the same thing. Working by hand is so slow and in-effective and simply not a good use of your valuable time.

Read these,

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Is there a benefit to machine applying a wax or sealant versus applying by hand?

For a medium cutting cleaner/wax that is safe and doesn't micro-mar get this,

Making money doing production detailing by Mike Phillips

For a light cutting cleaner/wax that is safe and doesn't micro-mar get this,

Sonax paint cleaner IS the bomb!

Note the name says Paint Cleaner but is in fact a one-step cleaner/wax or cleaner/sealant for the anal retentive people that don't like it when you use the word wax to describe the synthetic ingredients used for protection in a product.

Patented UV Protection - Optimum Car Wax - by Dr. Ghodoussi at Autogeek.com

And of course, your best tool is this forum so instead of sending me e-mails, why not just join the forum and interact with me here where I prefer to type out in-depth answers.

Click here to join the AutogeekOnline Detailing Discussion Forum

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which cleaner/wax to maintain my daily drivers?

Mike,

THANK YOU for the reply and info! Before reading your reply, I was leaning towards Duragloss after reading how durable they are "believed" to be. I was considering using DG105 but there seems to be so much confusion surrounding this product. I've read so many contradictions on DG105. Some say there are no abrasives in the product. Some say there are light abrasives in the product. Some say it has diminishing abrasives and others say no. Some say it just has cleaners but no "abrasives". I've reached out to Jerry with DG and he simply side-steps the question without giving an answer.

1. Do you know if DG105 uses abrasives, and if so how much and of what kind?
    2. Would you not recommend DG105 given my specific needs?

To recap, my objective is durability and simplicity. I purchased the Griot's Garage 6 inch Orbital Polisher. I wanted to using Griot's Garage BOSS pads (black or yellow) to apply an AOI. I wanted to use an AOI to save on speed, product, and pads. Easy and fast. However, my vehicles need little to no paint correction so I am concerned using an AOI such as Sonax or DG105 will cause damage to paint not needing paint correction. Considering if you are not looking to damage paint in excellent condition, would you stand clear of using an AOI and just apply a paint sealant?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 2002mrhill View Post

Mike,

THANK YOU for the reply and info! Before reading your reply, I was leaning towards Duragloss after reading how durable they are "believed" to be. I was considering using DG105 but there seems to be so much confusion surrounding this product. I've read so many contradictions on DG105. Some say there are no abrasives in the product. Some say there are light abrasives in the product. Some say it has diminishing abrasives and others say no. Some say it just has cleaners but no "abrasives". I've reached out to Jerry with DG and he simply side-steps the question without giving an answer.

1. Do you know if DG105 uses abrasives, and if so how much and of what kind?
    2. Would you not recommend DG105 given my specific needs?
    I actually don't know the answer to your questions. I think Duragloss makes a lot of great products but I haven't used any lately.

I need to, just so dang busy.

To recap, my objective is durability and simplicity.

I purchased the Griot's Garage 6 inch Orbital Polisher. I wanted to using Griot's Garage BOSS pads (black or yellow) to apply an AOI.

I wanted to use an AOI to save on speed, product, and pads.

Easy and fast.

However, my vehicles need little to no paint correction so I am concerned using an AOI such as Sonax or DG105 will cause damage to paint not needing paint correction.

Considering if you are not looking to damage paint in excellent condition, would you stand clear of using an AOI and just apply a paint sealant?

Great questions above too...

If your cars are daily drivers then "yes" I would use a one-step cleaner/wax and use it often, 2-3 times a year or anytime you want your car to have,

"That just waxed look"

I just wax one of our rigs on Sunday using 3D HD Speed and the paint glows. Even a couple of co-workers commented on the shine.

There's a thread on here about the SONAX cleaner/wax called paint cleaner. In my experience it is less aggressive than 3D HD Speed. I think both 3D and SONAX have some pretty darn good chemists so both are good options.

Also, the both wipe off easy and I'd give the edge for wipe-off to SONAX. Fast and easy wipe-off is a plus when looking for speed.

As for doing damage to your car's paint that would be the least of my concerns. These types of products used with common sense are very very very safel

I don't type the same word three times often so when I do that means I'm putting stress and value on that word.

Hope that helps...

Post Thanks / Like

OP-- the new(ish) McKee's 360 is a great AIO that would serve you well. It'll knock out some swirls and give you a few months of protection. It's also super easy to use. Regarding DG 105, I'm under the impression that no, it does not have an abrasive component (although the older 101 does). If 105 does contain some abrasive, it's extremely limited, as I've never seen it do much for removing swirls. But it is an EXCELLENT chemical cleaner-- One of the best IMO. As Mike said, HD Speed is nice too. Similar to the 360, with a little more cut, but I'd give 360 the edge regarding longevity.

You'll get better longevity from a straight up sealant. DG 111 is one of my favorites. As is McKees Hi Def Paint Sealant. But an AIO seems a better fit for you. You could pick up both the 360 and Hi Def and alternate. Use whichever is necessary at the time.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Harpolith - Nice to hear some good feedback on the Duragloss 105 & 111. Being familiar with both, would you recommend the 105 over the 111 because it has the added benefit of cleaning ability? If I go with the 111 then I assume I would have to use a separate cleaner beforehand.

My gameplan was to wax every 3-4 months on a 3 year old car with very good paint, kept inside garage. Originally I planned on this process: Clay, Meg's Ultimate Polish, DG111. Then I started thinking the Meg's Ultimate Polish may harm the paint because it is normally kept in excellent condition. So I planned on switching to: Clay, DG105. Which would you go with? Do you think using DG105 on paint in excellent condition will have damage from the cleaner? Or would you avoid DG105 to be safe?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

You've proved credible. I am purchasing both the 3d hd and sonax you spoke high of. I'm sure they will perform great. I already have the dg105 on order so I'm trying that regardless. And thank you for the extra emphasis on safe! I'm using g 6 inch orbital with the 5 inch backing plate and boss pads. What color gg pads would you go with for the hd and sonax being haven't used either before. I'm debating between black and yellow. I know I'm going with red on the duragloss 105 because it is a chemical cleaner so no cut needed.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been going with Duragloss 101, or 501 of the
    paint is really beat up.

Post Thanks / Like

HD SPEED.....................it set the bar for AIO's.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Harpolith - Nice to hear some good feedback on the Duragloss 105 & 111. Being familiar with both, would you recommend the 105 over the 111 because it has the added benefit of cleaning ability? If I go with the 111 then I assume I would have to use a separate cleaner beforehand.

My gameplan was to wax every 3-4 months on a 3 year old car with very good paint, kept inside garage. Originally I planned on this process: Clay, Meg's Ultimate Polish, DG111. Then I started thinking the Meg's Ultimate Polish may harm the paint because it is normally kept in excellent condition. So I planned on switching to: Clay, DG105. Which would you go with? Do you think using DG105 on paint in excellent condition will have damage from the cleaner? Or would you avoid DG105 to be safe?
    Ultimate Polish probably wouldn't hurt your paint, but if you wanted to stay in the DG line, and wanted to clean the paint, try the 601 Bonding Agent before applying the 111..

That is what I use for extreme durability and gloss. I'm blown away every time I use it.

Whenever I use my Duragloss sealants, the paint has been polished to the highest levels I'm capable of with Menzerna SF4000 (3500) beforehand.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How does the Meg's ultimate polish compare to the sonax, hd, menzerna...which is least cut/aggressive?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast