autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GG 3in and 6in Struggled with M105/205

Thanks for all the input guys! A lot of those Youtube Detailing channels are channels I already watch (mostly Ammo NYC, Obsessed Garage, and Esoteric).

I was using speeds 3-5 for the M105, which I think was generating an excessive amount of heat and caused the product to dry out even faster. I also forgot completely to prime the MF pads prior to applying the three dots of product. The corrections are done with the exception of one spot I missed which I will be going back to remove later today.

Post Thanks / Like

The M105/205 combo is a great product, however, it is prone to drying/dusting quickly in some conditions. If you are having problems with that I usually will do a spritz on the pad with a DS and that seems to take care of the dryness. I am using Blackfire or Aquawax. IMO you will have to do that during the detail, regardless. That's me and may be different for other people.

I am using Menzerna FG400 and SF4500 and have nothing but great success with that combo.

I have heard that 3D is good stuff too. Wolfgang and many other combos work well too. Either way, I hope the spritzing the pad may help. Another possibility is that you may be putting on too much product. Just a couple of pea size drops should do. Either way, I hope I racked your brain enough!....LOL
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, a lot of insightful feedback and help which I really appreciate!

There were some spots I realized I missed, so yesterday I went back over them with the GG 3in DA with a LC 3in MF cutting pad and CG V36. What I did realize is that the GG 3in DA definitely can correct paint, but it may take slightly longer. I already know the GG 3in DA does not require a lot of downward pressure to correct, however I once saw a YouTube video where the guy correcting was applying insane amounts of pressure and it was completely unnecessary.

I ended up going with a pre-cut PPF kit (Xpel Ultimate) that is specifically made for my bike, so I will re-inspect the paint and use M205 w/ a Rupes Yellow foam pad to address anything that remains prior to installing the kit myself.

As far as the rock chips go, I think I will take it slowly and use the Dr. Colorchip and address one chip at a time over a few weeks. I found it difficult to work with but I think this was due to the extremely high humidity I was trying to apply the touch-up paint in.

Thanks for all the help, I will make sure to properly prime the pads with a detailing spray and not use so much product next time.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Update:

Successfully completed a two stage correction on the fuel tank using M105/205 and paying attention to what we've discussed in the thread so far. I wasn't fully satisfied with how the CG V6 worked out, so I decided to skip the PPF install and ride the bike for a few weeks instead. I found a company that pre-cuts PPF kits for superbikes so I ordered one for mine and decided to spend the day cutting/finishing to prepare for the install. Will be completing the install on Monday.

I might correct the other fairings during winter, still haven't decided.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuel tank looks amazing now, the GG 3in definitely can correct and does a great job if you know what you're doing. I would make a pass and then inspect and in doing so I would find areas where DA didn't remove the defects completely so I would make a second pass focused on those areas.

I just installed the PPF kit today, the sides of the tank went on with no issues, but the center piece was a different story. I kept getting massive air pockets due to my working too slowly and the contour of the tank. I ended up ordering a new center piece and will have a local shop install it for me to get it perfect.

I am noticing now though that the rest of the bike is not up to par with the fuel tank, the fairings look dull in comparison so a correction of the bodywork minus the tank is due in the next few months. Now I should be able to get near perfect results on every piece of bodywork.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K5GSXR750 View Post
    Fuel tank looks amazing now, the GG 3in definitely can correct and does a great job if you know what you're doing. I would make a pass and then inspect and in doing so I would find areas where DA didn't remove the defects completely so I would make a second pass focused on those areas.

I just installed the PPF kit today, the sides of the tank went on with no issues, but the center piece was a different story. I kept getting massive air pockets due to my working too slowly and the contour of the tank. I ended up ordering a new center piece and will have a local shop install it for me to get it perfect.

I am noticing now though that the rest of the bike is not up to par with the fuel tank, the fairings look dull in comparison so a correction of the bodywork minus the tank is due in the next few months. Now I should be able to get near perfect results on every piece of bodywork.
    Sounds like great progress. It sounds like you're going to end up doing the whole bike. I'm sure it will be well worth it if you do.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12