autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Carbon Fiber BICYCLE

Yes, you read it correctly, bicycle. Pedal Power.

How would you care for carbon fiber bicycle? Specifically a Specialized Tarmac in black/natural lay carbon. No paint over the CF, but it does have a clear coat it seems.

Is OPC to clean and Reload or Optimum Car Wax a good combo? Road grime, sweat, dirt/dust, did I mention a lot of human sweat? Also saltwater when I get off the bike from swimming in the ocean during triathlons.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carbon Fiber BICYCLE

Salt water is obviously a problem for moving parts. I would use ONR or another rinseless wash and then follow up with whatever wax or sealant you want. Opt spray wax or Reload should be fine. I coated my CF mountain bike just because I had a lot of coating and wanted to see if it would help keep dirt come off more easily. It does help, but can't say it's better than regularly applying something like Reload since I haven't done any comparisons.

The salt water is an issue. I don't blast my hubs or crank with water. If you have any salt water intrusion you'll want to get it out. For the frame, I'm sure a rinseless wash is fine to get rid of salt. Maybe hit it twice to be sure it's gone.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

For my bicycle detailing sessions I like to used CarPro ECH20 in a QD role, & as you stated, I follow up with some Reload but to be fair the ECH20 is probably enough. I don't see anything wrong with the process/products you have mentioned either.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Coat it!!! It'll last for a long, long time, repel everything you can throw at it and it'll be slick and shiny!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

My best bike is carbon fiber. It's 10 years old and I have only used Megs 114. Looks new still. It's been used a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Coat it. It will take very little coating. My bikes have OptiGlossCoat.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Bikes are one of my passions. I worked in a shop through high school and most of college.

I'm going to suggest against coating. I use uber at a waterless wash dilution on all 8 of my bikes (well, a couple are my wife's). Takes just a few minutes to wipe them down and they look good. Works well for steel, aluminum, and carbon. All of which are hanging in my garage. It keeps them nice and clean. I wouldn't coat because I don't know how it may react with the frame. I'm not familiar with specialized's process but that may not be clear coat. It could be epoxy that's a part of the carbon fiber process and critical to the structural integrity.

On rims, try something like Eraser on the brake tracks since it will leave nothing behind.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Giant Defy with carbon forks. I just use D114 wipe down.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Should I use OPC and if so dilute it? Or ONR as a normal no rinse dilution? I won't be coating it, I think reload is plenty protection and don't want to mess with the coating or carbon fiber

Post Thanks / Like

Carbon fiber has to be coated with something that blocks UV because UV destroys carbon fiber. Bill Holland makes great titanium and carbon bicycles and uses a layer of carbon in the areas he's cut out as a sacrifice layer to protect the carbon underneath. You should look at some of his work http://www.2015.handmadebicycleshow....8-1400x932.jpg

The bottom line is, bikes are built to be abused. They have to stand up to everything even the most ridiculous person might do because the liability is so great.

Use whatever you want. Coatings won't hurt it, wax is fine, water where it shouldn't be or cleaner where it shouldn't be will cause mechanical problems. Keep your break pads and rims scrupulously clean and free of everything, everything, everything. Safety check before every ride - tire pressure, loosened bolts, etc. GET AND USE A TORQUE WRENCH.

My bikes get the drive train taken care of a quick wipe down with spray and wipe and the brakes and rims cleaned with alcohol after every ride - about ten minutes worth. I live in CA and road bike only and not in the rain, because, CA.

More importantly, watch out for cars and other debris on the road. Know they won't see you and be safe.

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast