autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What have you done after paint coating's life span?

Hello,

I can't seem to find much info on what people do AFTER their paint coatings advertised life span. So what has everyone done on here after their coating? Did you polish the existing coating off and reapply a new coating? Also this question leads to many others..
    - what happens after xx amount of years of coatings whether maintained or not or what happens after their claimed life expectancy. I've read they lose their water beading properties. I live in SoCal, it rains 1 drop a year. I rather have anti static dust repelling, anti stain, and anti scratch properties. Do they go hand and hand? I.e.. if water beads, then the coating's still working?
    - Since each layer of coating is so thin, does it just wear off or rubbed off over time by washing or what not?
    - Are coatings permanent or semi permanent? I've read there's both. But lots of people say ceramic coatings are permanent.

I'd like to try different coatings, but at the same time, I don't want to polish my car every 2 years. I don't mind a coating that's claimed permanent, but looses some properties. My main goal is that sacrificial layer that'll protect the paint. So even if after 2-3 years the coating is worthless but it's still there to protect my paint, I'm happy. Yes, I can wrap the whole car with ppf, but would like to know more about coatings.

thanks,

j

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What have you done after paint coating's life span?

Simple answer for me. Polish off and apply a quality Nuba!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Polish and re-coat. If maintained properly it can exceed the advertised lifespan.

Coatings will still get contaminated so a decon wash helps to maintain the performance of the coating.

Since it does not rain that much in So Cal your coating will last longer than those in harsher environments.

4. Likes kevincwelch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. Hmmm, i was initially awed by ceramic coating, but now I feel like I just a need a good sealant and top it off w/ a wax or something. Wolfgang Uber Sealant looks real good with anti static properties and longevity. I can top it off with a paste wax or something. Or even a spray wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfPaintStains View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Hmmm, i was initially awed by ceramic coating, but now I feel like I just a need a good sealant and top it off w/ a wax or something. Wolfgang Uber Sealant looks real good with anti static properties and longevity. I can top it off with a paste wax or something. Or even a spray wax.
    You can always try Gyeon CanCoat. A semi permanent coating. You can use CarPro Ech20 on it as a detail spray as a drying aid and overall detail spray. You can also top it with Gyeon Cure.

CanCoat won't last as long as a typical coating but it is pretty impressive. Currently have it on my mom's car and the water behavior is very impressive. Should make it a year easily here in So Cal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You can always try Gyeon CanCoat. A semi permanent coating. You can use CarPro Ech20 on it as a detail spray as a drying aid and overall detail spray. You can also top it with Gyeon Cure.

CanCoat won't last as long as a typical coating but it is pretty impressive. Currently have it on my mom's car and the water behavior is very impressive. Should make it a year easily here in So Cal.
    Thanks! what does it mean exactly for it to be semi permanent? So does it have the properties of a permanent coating, but breaks down or wears off like a traditional wax/sealant where i don't have to polish to remove?

Post Thanks / Like

IDK if I end up coating my car I'd be surprised if it lasted 6 months before I wanted to buff it off and try something else

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfPaintStains View Post
    Thanks! what does it mean exactly for it to be semi permanent? So does it have the properties of a permanent coating, but breaks down or wears off like a traditional wax/sealant where i don't have to polish to remove?
    You will eventually need to polish to keep the paint clean.

Semi Permanent meaning it will eventually wear away. Technically the only permanent coatings are the pro level coatings.

I noticed in your other thread that you purchased a white car. Take a look at this thread as to why it is a good thing to polish every now and then. The paint will get dingy.

The Lesson White Paint Teaches Us

Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

You and you alone have to decide whether to go the coating route. You already have Gyeon Mohs based on your other thread and I would just go ahead and use it. Don't get hung up on the stated longevity claims from Gyeon.

Some videos on Gyeon Mohs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    IDK if I end up coating my car I'd be surprised if it lasted 6 months before I wanted to buff it off and try something else
    Our Corvette started Spring of 2017 with coating A, polished off and tried coating B in late June, polished that off in mid July and applied coating C.

WRX started Spring 2017 with coating A, it was failing on vertical panels after winter so I polished it off and applied coating C. A month or 2 later I traded it in on new Accord Coupe to which I quickly applied coating D.

After seeing the black Accord (coating D) next to the black Corvette (Coating C), I polished off the recently applied Coating D on the new Accord and applied Coating C.

I think I'm happy now...maybe.

Post Thanks / Like

You stated "My main goal is that sacrificial layer that'll protect the paint. So even if after 2-3 years the coating is worthless but it's still there to protect my paint, I'm happy."... this means you should absolutely use a nano coating.

I have been testing nano coatings for years, and I was initially a big skeptic as I tend to operate under the "I have to see it to believe it" principle... after years of personal testing, I can attest to the fact that I have seen side-by-side that coated paint will resist dirt and contamination better than traditional waxes or sealants.

Water beading is not an indication of protection, only of high surface tension, so if water beading diminishes, it does not mean the coating is gone. If water beading diminishes, you may wish to apply a silica based spray sealant (ie coating topper) to increase surface tension, and therefore restore beading.

"Permanent" is a hard word to discuss on this forum... but in a nutshell, a nano coating is on your paint for an exceptionally long time unless an abrasive substance (ie sandpaper, compound or polish) is used to degrade or remove the coating layer.

As far as maintenance goes, it is extremely simple. Wash the car properly and often (I recommend at least every other week in most cases). Decontaminate as needed using fallout removers, and if necessary, fine grade detailing clay.

If your maintenance habits, technique, and products are on point, there should be no reason your vehicle will incur anything other than light surface marring over the course of 2-3 years, with that in mind I personally do a light polish every 2-3 years and then reapply a new nano coating. The polishing process is quick and easy unlike a paint correction, which is why it is crucial to take the time and perform proper maintenance to minimize time spent polishing, and also to minimize the invasiveness of your polishing.

-Zach

Retired Professional Detailer

12. Likes WillSports3 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast