autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever feel defeated after a detail job?

Today I defeated by a Mini Cooper and a Dodge Ram. My customer is selling both cars and wanted them to look as clean as possible. I tried Mckees APC, 3D Orange degreaser, and Tuff Stuff, nothing helped it come clean. I moved on to Folex and went to town with a brush followed by Mckees APC once more and that was the best combo. 3 hours later, i felt like i made only a small dent fighting these stains. I could not take a lot of after pictures since i lost sun light right before i was done.

What could i have done to make this job a little easier? I do have a carpet brush for my PC and 3D carpet shampoo, but i did not take it since the customer said "it is not that bad". Lol

Anyone else feel defeated after a job?

Anyone ever feel defeated after a detail job?-20170720_164646-jpgAnyone ever feel defeated after a detail job?-20170720_173355-jpgAnyone ever feel defeated after a detail job?-20170720_203016-jpgAnyone ever feel defeated after a detail job?-20170720_182620-jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone ever feel defeated after a detail job?

Sorry, I just noticed I posted this in the wrong spot, please feel free to move it or delete it.

Post Thanks / Like

You have to love people that abuse their vehicles then seek out a detailer when it comes time to sell it and want it dressed up. Those pictures are exaclty why I have only bought one used car in my entire life.

Even with a hot water extractor their is only so much you could do with that train wreck.

Their is a term called wicking in carpet cleaning. You only really ever get the surface dirt out of badly abused and stained carpet like that and eventually the risidual dirt wicks to the top.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, I have one purchased one used car and that is my classic bandit that I am restoring. I was shocked how dirty a car could be and that they told me it was not that bad! I would hate to see what bad looks like to them!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope you at least charge the extra....

Post Thanks / Like

PM sent

Post Thanks / Like

How do people live like that? You're not a miracle worker man!

Post Thanks / Like

Before you started you should have set the customers expectations in reality so you would not have felt defeated. If a person lets it get that bad they should replace the carpet to make it look "NEW". Your work looked more than satisfactory.

Post Thanks / Like

So far, never had to clean anything like that. I am pretty expensive though, so most of my clients have very nice cars and they usually maintain them.

If it were me, I would have explained to the owner that the carpets might be stained and would not clean up completelly. Also, I would have put a variable cost for extra work needed. I normally tell them that if I have to go over the normal time it takes to do the detail (depends on vehicle size) I charge 40$ per hour for the extra time with a maximum of 2 extra hours.

Second, get yourself a brush you can put on a drill. I use the one for Cyclo polishers and simply put it on my battery powered drill. It makes working carpets much easier. As for the carpet itself, if Meguiar's APC is not cutting it, try using a laundry stain product like Shout. It usually does wonder on hard to clean fabrics and carpets.

I don't own a heated water extractor, but that can be very helpful if you have one to remove the dirt from the carpet. I use a very small extrator (Bisell Green Machine) and I put hot water in the tank. But it's not very effective on carpets compared to a real extractor.

I don't think I would quit a job, I would do the best I can and let the owner know that is the best that can be done for the carpets. But that is up to you. If you think someone else can do a better job, and you don't mind wasting your time trying to clean that mess, you can always stop and let the owner take the vehicle elsewhere.

I think the important is to explain what can and cannot be done BEFORE the work starts. If you set expectations too high, you can have a disapointed customer. But if you explain that when the condition is that bad it might not come back to a look like new condition, the owner knows before hand and can't really fault you if you can't get it 100%.

Post Thanks / Like

Calendyr got it right. I do the same in terms of the $40 charge only I've never thought about putting a 2hr max. Good idea all around though. That car is pretty bad and while I have seen some come out pretty darn nice, that one would be a challenge for anyone unless they want to spend hours upon hours or better yet, pull the seats and carpet completely out of the vehicle.

Honestly, depending on the condition of the car and selling price, as the new owner, I'd simply buy a replacement and install it myself.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast