autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Wheels Inbound and a Coating Dilemma

This weekend I ordered a new set of wheels for my GTI, but it wasn't until the order was placed that I realized I might not be prepared to properly protect them. The wheels are OZ Superturismo LM's in the "graphite matte" finish, which is actually more of a satin finish by all accounts and the images I've seen.

I won't have much time before arrival and getting them mounted so ordering a dedicated wheel coating now won't arrive in time, but I do have a couple options available to me and wanted gather some opinions. Here are my options/thoughts using products I have on hand in my garage today:

- CQuartz coating (regular one, not UK): Never applied it before, but I've got a sample sized bottle I received a year ago. It's not big enough to do a vehicle, so this might be the perfect use. Don't know how it will hold up.

- McKee's 37 Paint Coating: Plenty on hand to do the job. I'm not sure how it will hold up to wheel duty, but don't see how it would hurt.

- Collinite 845: Great durable sealant and would probably hold up until I mount the winter wheels later and can apply a proper wheel coating

- Run them naked: Simply keep them clean and apply a proper wheel coating once I pull them off to mount the winter wheels.

If I don't use it on the new wheels, I'll most likely use the CQuartz on my current OEM wheels when I pull them off and demote them to winter duty.

Thanks in advance!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Re: New Wheels Inbound and a Coating Dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    This weekend I ordered a new set of wheels for my GTI, but it wasn't until the order was placed that I realized I might not be prepared to properly protect them. The wheels are OZ Superturismo LM's in the "graphite matte" finish, which is actually more of a satin finish by all accounts and the images I've seen.

I won't have much time before arrival and getting them mounted so ordering a dedicated wheel coating now won't arrive in time, but I do have a couple options available to me and wanted gather some opinions. Here are my options/thoughts using products I have on hand in my garage today:

- CQuartz coating (regular one, not UK): Never applied it before, but I've got a sample sized bottle I received a year ago. It's not big enough to do a vehicle, so this might be the perfect use. Don't know how it will hold up.

- McKee's 37 Paint Coating: Plenty on hand to do the job. I'm not sure how it will hold up to wheel duty, but don't see how it would hurt.

- Collinite 845: Great durable sealant and would probably hold up until I mount the winter wheels later and can apply a proper wheel coating

- Run them naked: Simply keep them clean and apply a proper wheel coating once I pull them off to mount the winter wheels.

If I don't use it on the new wheels, I'll most likely use the CQuartz on my current OEM wheels when I pull them off and demote them to winter duty.

Thanks in advance!

I'd go with the CQuartz since you have it.

My go-to wheel coating is Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armor.

Post Thanks / Like

I been using Gtech C5 for over 4 years. every time nothing but great results.

Post Thanks / Like

I used collinite 845 on my wheels before mounting them in the spring and didn't see very good longevity, especially with the barrells. The wheel face held up for a little while though.
    This was on a GTI as well, stock Austin wheels.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I'd go with the CQuartz since you have it.

My go-to wheel coating is Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armor.

Thanks, Mike! Do you think the 10ml bottle will be enough to fully cover (barrels and faces) 4x 18 inch wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    I been using Gtech C5 for over 4 years. every time nothing but great results.
    Wheel Armor is on the top of my list of potential candidates.

Mike, shadowman, or anyone else: How much can you cover with a 15ml bottle of Wheel Armor? One set of wheels? Two?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMK7GTI View Post
    I used collinite 845 on my wheels before mounting them in the spring and didn't see very good longevity, especially with the barrells. The wheel face held up for a little while though.
    This was on a GTI as well, stock Austin wheels.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app
    That was my observation too when I applied it to my current Laguna's. It worked well on the faces (never tried barrels), but didn't hold up very long.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Thanks, Mike! Do you think the 10ml bottle will be enough to fully cover (barrels and faces) 4x 18 inch wheels?

Apologies for not measuring the amount of product used in the past.

My guess is "yes" since you're supposed to apply a thin coat just like when coating car paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the above in recommending C5 wheel armour. The 15ml bottle sold here on Autogeek will be enough to get those wheels done. I bought the larger 30ml bottle to do the 17x9's on one of my cars and I have more than half of the bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

I typically spray on my wheel coatings with an airbrush and use 5-7ml to do a set of 4 front and back. Though that may not help you with a wipe on volume use
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

CQuartz would be my choice. That small bottle should be plenty for the wheels.

We have been installed the C5 on customer's wheels who get the CQuartz package we offer. It's tossed in as a freebie since the vehicle sits overnight. The C5 is a great product. As for how far it goes we typically get about 3 vehicles per bottle. Or 12 wheels. Granted, most of our customers have cars not SUVs, those would obviously consume more product.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for the information, especially regarding whether I have enough product on hand.

My biggest fear when considering coatings packaged in tiny, single use, bottles is running out before I have the job finished. Not only are they expensive, but they aren't readily available. You can't exactly run to a local store and get more in an emergency! The wheels are 18x7.5 so nothing unusual; the only difference being a slightly higher number of spokes.

I find it interesting that C5 seems to be the clear favorite with no dissenting opinions. That almost never happens around here! I'll keep it on the short list for the next time I need to coat some wheels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast