autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

water spots on windows

How can I remove hard water spots on side glass? I have used the best window cleaners, window microfiber towels, and newspaper. I just can't get these spots off the windows, I have heard trying 0000 steel wool, and lemon juice, but have not tried that yet... Car is a 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, with 55,000 miles. Any buffing chemicals to try, I have buffers and polishers. Thanks a lot!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: water spots on windows

You can try Car Pro waterspot remover. If the spots are really etched into the glass and that doesn't work, Car Pro Ceriglass should do the trick.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Duragloss Nu-Glass should take care of it. Or the McKees Glass Restorer product.

Post Thanks / Like

Try the steel wool.

Post Thanks / Like

Vinegar is less expensive than lemon juice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    You can try Car Pro waterspot remover. If the spots are really etched into the glass and that doesn't work, Car Pro Ceriglass should do the trick.
    ^^ this. it's expensive but using it with a very hard LC Grey or Yellow pad dedicated for such uses makes short work of them. Just be sure to use a spray bottle of water to keep the slurry mixture working. Other tipes are to use a damp rag to remove most or all of the product before flushing it with water. I do this as I don't want remaining ceriglass getting caught in trim or other areas where it might break loose over time and get settle on the paint surface that would in-turn perhaps find its way under a sponge or towel.

Again, very important to not reuse any towels or rags with it for anything else. I don't even launder them, I toss them out as I don't want any partialss in my washer where I launder my other items.

Good luck!
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I'd try a compound and a cutting pad first if a chemical cleaner is not working. That may do it.

If not, then I'd try Ceriglass

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by HiredDriver View Post

How can I remove hard water spots on side glass? I have used the best window cleaners, window microfiber towels, and newspaper. I just can't get these spots off the windows, I have heard trying 0000 steel wool, and lemon juice, but have not tried that yet...
    Steel scratches glass. I've seen experts recommend using steel wool all my life now for working on glass and all I've ever seen is scratched glass. It's easy to be an expert and make a recommendation while posting under a made-up nickname. But when something goes wrong.... then what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by HiredDriver View Post

Car is a 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, with 55,000 miles.

Any buffing chemicals to try, I have buffers and polishers.

Thanks a lot!!

As a person that detailed cars in Oregon I've buffed out a lot of water spots on glass. Here's the deal, a wool pad on a rotary buffer and any clearcoat-safe compound will usually do the trick.

When the FILM that build up on the glass takes place for years, hoping to somewhere chemically dissolve the film off the glass is a great idea but it usually won't work completely. The Optimum MDR is one glass remover I've used where after application of a film of the product onto the glass and allowing the product to dwell - you can actually see a chemical reaction taking place as the film and the perimeter rings of water spots turn white. You still have to SCRUB hard with something like terry cloth to agitate the film off.

Me?

I show all the time on the cars I buff out taking WHATEVER compound I'm already using on the paint and after compounding all the paint I simply then buff out the glass. And the chrome.

What do you have for buffers and polishers?

Post Thanks / Like

id go with carpro waterspot remover first and even try using it as a clay lube.

if you want to go the compound route id use megs 4 as its chunkier, I think Mike told me about it, which is why I bought it but it does work

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had a problem using 0000 "brass" wool ultra fine. You could try a small test area first before doing the entire glass. YMMV
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast