autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Taping off sections to be polished

I tape badges, plastics (trim) and black trim. I also tape any seams I can't get to easily for after work clean up.

Badges are sometimes too vulnerable for my forced rotation machines, rotary and Flex 3401. I don't want them to tear a foam pad or, worse yet, get ripped off or broken with a foamed wool pad.

I don't want to run the risk of burning or "waving off" paint on a plastic trim piece.

I also don't like transferring black onto my polishing pad from exposed black painted trim pieces.

If a panel seam can be exposed and wiped down after cutting or polishing e.g. opening the door/trunk lid/hood/gas cap etc. I usually don't tape it off. If it can't be exposed and wiped clean I tape it.

As far as taping off your 2X2 sections all around the car and you do that to help guide you for either progress or making sure you are working small sections here's a tip...Use 1 line of tape and visualize the other unmarked boundary. then simply move that 1 line to the next section and polish what it was covering, overlapping slightly to the just polished previous section and getting what was under the tape. After a while you will probably get used to the size of each area you like to work and can work without the tape on the open panels. Just be careful of what Mike P talks about when he describes buffer creep i.e. going outside of your intended section.

I use Hoyt66's idea most of the time too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    He's using this as a guide, so he knows where he started and where he ended. He would then move the small piece of tape 1/4" or less, on the polished area and start a new 2'X2' section.

I use no more than 2 pieces of tape as I can use a door handle or a change in angle on the body as a guide.
    Yeah, what he said. LOL.......all great tips guys, the car is a little big, so I'm usually going say 6 sections per hood, top, and trunk...........I like to use some kind of little visual aid, otherwise I end up going bigger than what I want. Been doing like Rsurfer has stated.

Thanks again guys

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Richs66 View Post
    .......I like to use some kind of little visual aid, otherwise I end up going bigger than what I want.
    Glad to know its not just me. Drives me mad...start section small, 6 passes later and its noticeably larger. I'm conscious of it yet still do it; baffling.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12