autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the harbor freight dual action polisher and I am ready to take the dip on swirl correction.

I have been seeing the DMCKIT6 by Meguiars. I know the polisher is not the best but it is what I could get. This is my first polisher. Is the Meguiars any good or do you recommend something else? It is not factory paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I have the harbor freight dual action polisher and I am ready to take the dip on swirl correction.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I have the harbor freight dual action polisher and I am ready to take the dip on swirl correction.

I plan to change out the lube once I get the parts back from my friends machine shop that balanced everything. I will let you know the results. I plan on switching the case as well. I plan on getting a GG in the future but right now I cannot go with it due to the fact that I am paying two houses at the moment since I moved from New Orleans to Houston.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks a lot! How should I get the meguiars kit or go with that 5.5 and pad combo? Then what products?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as waxes go, I currently have Great white and Meguiars professional glaze sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

what are you working on? i wouldn't purchase that as my first set of pads because they are microfiber (cutting) which are typically used for more severe defects (start with least aggressive approach and work up as needed), and also that's a 6" kit and with a traditional PC-style DA you want to use smaller 5.5" pads along with a 5" DA backing plate to help maximize pad rotation and utilize the tool to it's fullest capabilities..

Post Thanks / Like

I have the harbor freight dual action polisher and I am ready to take the dip on swirl correction.

Correct, don't get 6" pads. Get a 5" backing plate + 5-5.5" pads. The Meguiars Thin Foam Pads [cutting, polishing,finishing] will get you through most tasks. 2 of each or better yet a 12pk. but only get 2 black pads if you buy a 12pk. because that's all you'll need.

As far as compounds you could survive by using Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish.

I have that same polisher and to be honest I wouldn't even waste my time changing out the grease or changing anything about it unless you have time to kill or just get super OCD about things... It's a good polisher straight out the box. The changing of the backing plate to a proper 5" backing plate [Meguiars or Lake Country] will make worlds more difference than all the mods combined could ever do.

If you have this the next upgrade is to a Griots 15mm. not the GG6 as you'll basically be getting the same type of machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by androdz View Post
    It is not factory paint.
    If that's the case, then it's best advised you steer clear of using the Meguiars DMCKIT as it's generally known to haze up on non factory paint.
    Start with foam pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Go for it. I Get good results with mine. Be sure to mark the backing plate to detect pad rotation.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

They also have the 5"" kit. Which pads, backing and products should I get then?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast