autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Glass sealant technique/product

I'm learning as much as possible from everyone here. Now on to glass.....two questions:

1. Is there a benefit to a designated glass towels being they are so much more expensive that using a standard low GSM microfiber towel? Does the cheap one scratch glass?

2. Once glass is clean, can you use a paint sealant to protect it? Rather than spending extra money for a designated "glass polish or protectant" why not use a paint sealant?

I'm surprise with Mike does not have any how-to's on conquering glass. Or perhaps I just haven't found it yet.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glass sealant technique/product

Quote Originally Posted by 2002mrhill View Post
    I'm learning as much as possible from everyone here. Now on to glass.....two questions:

1. Is there a benefit to a designated glass towels being they are so much more expensive that using a standard low GSM microfiber towel? Does the cheap one scratch glass?

2. Once glass is clean, can you use a paint sealant to protect it? Rather than spending extra money for a designated "glass polish or protectant" why not use a paint sealant?

I'm surprise with Mike does not have any how-to's on conquering glass. Or perhaps I just haven't found it yet.

well I can tell you that the glass towels to clean glass make a huge difference. I dont think its really about scratching the glass as it is about streaks and lint.

There are some sealants out there that can be used on glass... but you might be better off using something that is dedicated for glass... like aquapel.

Mike Phillips

Re: Glass sealant technique/product

Yes. Most glass towels have a flat weave, not a fluffy open or closed loop weave. This reduces the potential for linting on your glass. The grid pattern of waffle weave acts like a squeegee to remove ick off glass.

I like to stay safe when I type things out on public forums that can and are up here in the Blogosphere for decades.

Read the directions and recommendations from the MANUFACTURER of the paint sealant you are using and see if they direct you to use it on glass or recommend you to use it on glass. IF they do then go for it. If they don't it could be fore safety reasons, maybe even lawsuit liability reasons.

Glass, specifically the chunk the driver looks through is vitally important. You want it to be clear and you want wipers to travel over it correctly in inclement weather.

I've seen waxes and sealant cloud glass when the glass gets wet or gets moisture on it.

I've experienced waxes and sealants making wipers chatter or hop on windshields.

Me? I'm not going to recommend sealing glass with something a manufacturer doesn't already recommend for glass. Americans are too lawsuit happy and my experience in this industry leads me to think there's a reason why established companies like Mothers and Meguiar's, even 3M don't recommend for the public to apply their waxes and paint sealants onto windshields.

You can type of few key words into Google and add my name Mike Phillips and usually find multiple articles and videos on any car or boat or sanding or anything topic....

Glass polishing - How to remove scratches in glass

Mike's Glass Cleaning Tips

Review: - Removing the happy face in Vinyl Fog by Mike Phillips

How to remove Smokers Film off inside of windshield - Review: BLACKFIRE Glass Cleaner

https://www.facebook.com/Mike.Philli...type=1&theater

Review: Griots Fine Glass Polish - How to remove water spots and road film off car glass

Glass Master Pro Glass Cleaner - The correct technique

Newspapers and Glass Cleaner

Glass Polishing - Deep Cleaning