autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New '07 4runner -

Hi All,

This is a great board, glad I found it.

Just recently bought a new 07 4runner sport. First new car for me. Love the car and want to keep it in top condition. Been doing alot of lurking trying to learn as much as I can regarding new car care.

I've tried the serach function but am finding it difficult to find exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe replies to these questions can become a sticky in the forum.

Basically what I'm looking for is a best practices and maintenance schedule on a new car. For example Is it really necessary to polish a NEW car?

What I've done is so far has been
    1) Wash
    2) Claybar Mother's clay bar
    3) Seal Mother's step 2
    4) Wax - carnuba Wax 2 coats

Wash every week, wax every 2 weeks weather permitting.

All this has been done by hand and I'm happy with the results. Is there any benefit to using a PC or UDM? There are no swirls or spiderwebbing

Is there more that I should be doing or products that will give better results?

thanks in advance for the help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New '07 4runner -

Welcome to the site and congrats on the new purchase. Chances are you do infact have some swirls and marring, either from dealer prep, the clay bar (minor) or your wash routine. They are inevitable really. Take a look at the paint under direct sun light or halogen lighting from different angles, you may see some swirls. If not, great, keep doing what you are doing. The only thing that you need the PC for is to polish the swirls out or to use a paint cleaner, but at this point in time it doesn't seem worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like

skiwez
    I agree with budman3! What color is your 4runner? Dark colors show swirls much more..... than say.... silver or any lighter color.
    Thanks,
    Tonya AKA twinkle toes
    Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwile achievement - Henry Ford

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's silver, wanted to get the black, but they didn't have anymore. Plus I figured the silver would be easier to maintain.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site. If you do have swirls they are prolly really minor and due to the 4 runner being silver it makes swirls even harder to see (like already mentioned). The wax also aides in hiding minor swirls as well. The best way to keep your new vehicle swirl free is by using a micro fibre wash mit, car wash that has lubricating oils to reduce creating swirls from grit, a grit gaurd, and using the 2 bucket system when washing. When drying use a quality microfibre towel with silk edges like the COBRA waffle weave towel. Never run the vehicle through a automated car wash with brushes=swirl city. Eventually every car will get some swirls but until that day comes just do as you have been doing. Good luck.
    98 Z/28

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like I'm in good shape. So far I've done all you said except the 2 bucket method. Only got 1 bucket but I do have the grit guard. These micro fiber towels are the best thing since sliced bread.

Post Thanks / Like

^ I agree. I want a MF pillow cover,MF sheets, and MF cover. Maybe even some MF pants and a shirt. J/K
    98 Z/28