autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting rid of etched water spots

So, my thoughtful neighbor decided to start watering her lawn after letting most of the grass die. She did this for several hours, in the middle of the day. While she was watering, she also watered some of my lawn, my house, and the half of my driveway where I park my truck. She did this for three straight days while I was out of town. By the time I got home the truck had hard water spots all over and they had baked in mid 90 degree heat for a couple days.

They're still there after washing. Am I going to need to break out the PC? The truck was sealed with McKee's 360 a couple months ago. Will that have enough cut? I also have a couple different polishes. What is the best plan of attack?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting rid of etched water spots

Test spot with what you have. Least aggressive first.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Least aggressive polish or try this

CarPro Spotless Water Spot Remover

Post Thanks / Like

Sue your neighbor, she's inconsiderate. Hats off to you if you kept your cool, because I wouldn't. She literally damaged your paint and I would give her an earful.

But yeah, the least aggressive method first.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. Guess I'll have to find time to break out the polisher this week.

As far as the neighbor, she's old. I've spoke with her several times about it. She also had a lawn care service that ran into my $5000 aluminum fence less than a week after it was installed so we've had run ins before. In that case the fence was repaired by her with no hesitation. She's not as bad as the one at my previous home that tried to say that my landscaping, and re-routing of storm drains away from both of our homes somehow caused her basement to flood. There's always one...

Post Thanks / Like

I would certainly want to at least try the McKee's 360 again on it. The spotting sounds pretty bad but I would try it at least. Sounds like the spotting is bad and they may laugh at the McKee's AIO but if it does work it's simply once around the truck again!

Post Thanks / Like

Was thinking about that. Also thought it might be a good excuse to do a 2 step and try out the McKee's paint sealant I bought on an impulse.

Post Thanks / Like

What can I use with polisher for water streak stains on my windows

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by nine View Post

What can I use with polisher for water streak stains on my windows

Any compound or polish that's safe for clearcoated cars would be safe for glass.

Might try starting a "new" or dedicated thread for your topic versus tagging it on to a thread about water spots on paint.

Just a suggestion...

Post Thanks / Like

Resurrecting this one. Life got in the way. I haven't had time to touch the truck other than a couple quick washes before today. Even then, I didn't have time to do much. After a vacation at the lake last week, I decided to wash the truck and get rid of about 500 miles of bug splatter, dirt and mud. Mom and the Kids are out shopping, so I decided to break out the Porter Cable and do a quick test on the hood. I'm off all week so I'll tackle the rest of the truck Monday.

Based on the helpful advice of "least aggressive first", I went through my collection. I have: Megs ultimate Polish, a sample of wolfgang TSR, McKees fast polish, 360, and Blackfire total polish and seal.

I went with the blackfire for a test. Why? I don't have enough 360 to do the whole truck. I bought this to do my wife's car before I was sent a mystery box with 360 and got hooked on it. It worked well to 2 step, but I didn't find it had as much correction ability as 360, and it stains trim a little more. Sooo, I want to use it up. Here's what I'm dealing with:

5 Passes on 5 with my PC and a white LC Thin pro and the final result is this:

The truck will be looking good on Monday!