autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

2011 Mustang GT-Feynlab Self Heal

Even though this is the third car I`ve done with Feynlab Self Heal Lite, he was the first to book the product for his car. He bought it used on a cloudy day and when he saw it in the sun afterward, he was very discouraged. I could not get all of the swirls out of the paint. This is probably the biggest challenge I`ve faced in quite some time. More on that later. This was also going to be a wheels-off detail, so I wanted it to look its best.

It was a cloudy day also when it got dropped off. Here`s how it looked:

First up was to clean the wheels. The barrels and faces were first cleaned with BAM wheel acid, followed by Zep Citrus. The tires were cleaned with Zep 505 and the wells with LATA.

Next up was to be foamed. I had a mix featuring HD Pink soap:

The car was washed with Pink, including the top. Next it was brought inside and clayed old school using Riccardo blue. Here's what I was looking at for every single panel:

Now it was time to do the wheels. The barrels were given an intensive cleaning with Tarminator followed by DG Squeaky Clean followed by CarPro Eraser. The barrels were then coated with DLux. The calipers and faces were cleaned with DG Squeaky Clean and then coated with Feynlab Wheel & Caliper coating. The plastic wells were coated with DLux too. The tires were shot with Opti Bond from my spray gun. Each wheel was torqued back to spec. Here's some shots during the process:

I hate this style of Brembo; I wish they had a decent finish to them!

As far as the paint goes, I used several aggressive combos that just weren't cutting it (pun intended). Even my strongest, Chop Top wasn't doing it in 3 or 4 passes. I really didn't want to thin the paint out chasing scratches that went that deep. I used M100 with black wool + 3401 for the majority of the car, except CT where needed. TLC wasn't as aggressive as M100 for this car. It took forever to compound out most of the marks. I did end up getting at least 90% out, but honestly I was hoping for better. I did 3 steps to ensure a glorious finish. Step 2 (especially after Chop Top) was a burgandy Megs pad + Reflect + 3401 and then the last was a LC white pad + M205 + 3401. The exhaust tips were hand polished with M205 + mf and then coated with Feynlab wheel coating.

The top was vacuumed aggressively and water proofed with DG 341. The trim was coated with DLux. The windshield was coated with Fly By Forte and the side and rear glass with Fly By 30.

The paint was coated with Self Heal Lite. Here it is getting its suntan:

Here it is all done:

Thanks for looking!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2011 Mustang GT-Feynlab Self Heal

Great comeback on this one Richy !!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Looks awesome. I bet the owner was thrilled. I would be.

How long did you bake it for?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great Richy! Nice work and pics bro!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding job my friend! Looks incredible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Great comeback on this one Richy !!
    Thank you very much Pat!

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    Looks awesome. I bet the owner was thrilled. I would be.

How long did you bake it for?
    Ernie, Thanks, and yes he was.
    You`re right about what the customer thought too. Here`s what he put on my site with some very kind words:

"
    Tony
    6/19/2017 02:25:41 pm

I purchased this 6 year old car knowing it was kept outside and not given any particular attention in regards to maintaining the finish of the paint. When I took delivery of the car and got a good look at the paint under more ideal lighting conditions, I discovered the swirls and scratches were more severe than I initially remembered from my test drive.

Knowing it needed professional paint correction and wanting some sort of protective coating to prevent future damage I began researching options. I came across Rich`s website and read his blogs and saw the results he was able to achieve on previous projects. I met up with Rich, he assessed my car and was confident he could achieve a high level result. He went over all my options and I decided to go with the Fenylab self healing coating.

The results are stunning! Black paint is very unforgiving, but the depth of shine and smoothness of the paint has to be seen and felt to truly appreciate. The results are as close to perfect as you can reasonably expect a used car to be. Rich got out swirls and scratches I didn`t even think was possible.

Having a self healing coating gives me peace of mind that I can maintain the finish going forward without the extreme care and caution you would normally need when washing and drying a black car.

Thank you Rich, the result is far above my expectations!"

My site has a section called "Activity blog" and it`s where I post my most recent work and I ask the customers to leave a comment. They all do. It`s (a) gratifying and (b) is a great message to send to potential customers.

And, Ernie, how long to bake it for? Hmmm, till the smell of warm cinnamon is wafting through the air??? No, that's not it...thinking of something else, LOL. 10 mins per section @ 60 degrees C or 140 F.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Looks great Richy! Nice work and pics bro!
    Thanks very much Scott!

Quote Originally Posted by Sicoupe View Post
    Outstanding job my friend! Looks incredible.
    Thanks Kyle, I appreciate you taking the time to comment my friend!

Post Thanks / Like

Very impressive Richy!! You sir are a true professional. I appreciate you taking the time to post your details as I enjoy reading them. I know it takes time to post ontop of the extensive hours you spend on the vehicles.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Looks a hell of a lot better!!!! Rich for detail prez!!

Considering you used the most aggressive combo, this paint looked to be the limit of the 3401. I wonder how the Mille or Makita would have worked? Did you try the 21?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Great work my friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Very impressive Richy!! You sir are a true professional. I appreciate you taking the time to post your details as I enjoy reading them. I know it takes time to post ontop of the extensive hours you spend on the vehicles.
    Thanks very much Jim! I have always done my write ups the same way and I think (posts like yours confirm it) that people find it helpful. I know I like to see what product/procedure was done when something turns out fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Looks a hell of a lot better!!!! Rich for detail prez!!

Considering you used the most aggressive combo, this paint looked to be the limit of the 3401. I wonder how the Mille or Makita would have worked? Did you try the 21?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you Mark! No, not this time. Any time actually that I have used the 21, it has proven to be LESS effective in correcting bad faults than the 3401. I don't even bother trying it anymore. Truth be told, I was pushing down hard to get this to correct.

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Great work my friend.
    Thanks very much Don! Always appreciate you taking the time to comment!!