autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Steps to Apply Vinyl Decals

My, it's been a long while since I've posted here! Still keeping good habits...

I've got an order out for a few varieties of some small-ish decals advertising a small start-up I'm working on. I've considered placing a decal or two on my DD and have been wondering about any precautions or procedures one might take to ensure that minimal paint or clear coat damage will occur when removing said decals. I drive a newer car with newer paint if that matters (it's a 2013 Kia Forte 5.) I'm just wondering if there's anything that I can or can't do to prevent permanent paint damage if I leave a 4"x16" decal my car for a year or more. Really don't want to see some clear coat come off with it!! There are other vehicles and surfaces these will be applied to but the first will be on mine and I don't want to risk someone else's paint as well as my own.

For clarification; the decals will be just letters cut out, like you might see on the side of a semi depicting company info and so on.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is unclear, haha.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=71880&dateline=142020  6364

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steps to Apply Vinyl Decals

Generally if they are decals made for exteriors the shouldnt HURT the paint when being removed. Usually you can get old decals off a car with some heat and I have never hurt the paint or clear coat. Removal procedure would hurt the paint more than the decal itself.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

I'm actually relettering my van.My original letters have been on there since 2011.My van is white and has been in south fla weather since then.There are some variables like the weather hard paint or soft.I took a steamer and removed them quickly. Very faint ghosting. So I don't think anyone can give you a definitely straight solid answer to many variables.Even a year there could be some ghosting.

Post Thanks / Like

Magnets are worse if you leave them on 24/7 .Magnets are ideal if you don't leave them on there everyday.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Belphegor View Post

I'm just wondering if there's anything that I can or can't do to prevent permanent paint damage if I leave a 4"x16" decal my car for a year or more.

What I've seen from lettering, graphic's and signs on paint for extended time is the term,

Ghosting

Ghosting is the impression, both physical and color change that is left in the paint behind where the graphics were placed.

I've removed graphics from clearcoated cars and then tried to remove the physical lines in the paint that mimic the graphics but I can't remember ever being able to remove them 100%

The color change in the paint (basecoat), is an anomaly because you would think the paint under the graphic would be darker as the paint surrounding the graphic would fade to a lighter shade due to exposure to the sun but what I've seen is the paint under the graphic usually lighter than the paint surrounding the area covered by the graphic.

So take what I've written above with a grain of salt but also go into this project knowing that if you put lettering or graphics on your car for n extended period of time, there's a risk that the paint will undergo some form of change.

Mike Phillips

Also just to comment....

When I read the title of this thread I thought it was a request for help in asking for help with the application process of applying new graphics or lettering to a car. Then after reading the post I discovered it was something related...

That said, for those that will click on this link into the future looking for some tips for removing old graphics and applying new graphics, below are two full write-ups with LOTS of pictures showing how to do this with my buddy Jay who was an expert at this type of thing....

1999 Trans Am Extreme Makeover - Testing M101 Foam Cut Compound

Jay is in the read baseball cap running the squeegee....

That's better...

Full write-up in the thread,

1999 Trans Am Extreme Makeover - Testing M101 Foam Cut Compound

Plus this was the first full use and then write-up of Meguiar's M101 when it was introduced.... and the only one I can find on the Interweb...

Mike Phillips

Continued....

And here's Jay again working his magic on a Pro-Line Center Console boat...

24' Pro-Line Boat - Extreme Marine Makeover - Oxidation Removal!

While most of us were working on removing oxidation and/or using a cleaner/wax on the cap, Jay and Steve were using HEAT GUNS to remove the old graphics and the Boot Stripe.

Jay is really good at getting just the right balance of heat and pulling on the old boot stripe without tearing the old, weathered vinyl...

Steve's working on removing the boot stripe on the other side...

Success! The vinyl boot stripe is off the boat and on Jay! Thank you Jay!

You ca also see Paul following Jay and using 3M Adhesive Remover to remove the adhesive residue. Thanks Paul!

Steve said he spent over $500.00 for the graphics and Jay was like a surgeon when it came to installing them...

Of course we installed graphics on the other side as well...

Full write-up that also includes how to remove heavy oxidation from gel-coat...

24' Pro-Line Boat - Extreme Marine Makeover - Oxidation Removal!