autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeking help on glass polishing around Philadelphia region

Hi all, this is my first post here, which unfortunately (or fortunately) is from a really bad new car purchase experience I have recently had.

Several glasses (including a section of the windshield and several other pieces) have faint scratches that are only visible under direct and full sunlight. My fingertip does not catch any of them. I was not able to identify them when I took delivery. My best guess is the new car prep people there used a really dirty rag when wiping the glasses, but the dealership denies everything.

I thus googled whether there is any way to get rid of these faint scratches without replacing several pieces of glasses on a new car, and found this nice forum. Having no prior experience of detailing, I am really worried that my own attempt might just get things worse, and so I am posting here to see whether there is anyone with experience around Philadelphia region who would be willing to help. If you are interested, please either leave a reply or PM me. Many thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seeking help on glass polishing around Philadelphia region

This is a tough call.Glass polishing is no easy task.I would pursue the dealer but doubt the prep gentleman did damage with dirty rags.How long ago did you get the dealer involved.Was it a month 2 months.Sorry to say glass polishing is hard labor and you can easily make things worse.Maybe just try a small section.

Post Thanks / Like

Make a warranty claim on it and if they don't take care of it go to car manaufacturer and lodge a complaint against the dealership.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I have owned the car for about a month. I talked to the dealer one week after the purchase. I am reluctant about the warranty claim because it will mean replacing the windshield and two quarter panel pieces with heating wires... it might just be too much for a one month old car...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention. I am certainly willing to pay for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm near Philly (far Montco burbs) and have pretty good experience / success polishing glass.... I don't really work on other people's cars - but sorta feel bad cuz I know your gonna get the run around from the dealer & prolly detailer's that say they can fix this but only make it worse. I have the correct products as well...Lemme know if you get desperate...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Listen to Swanic. do a search for glass polishing and you'll find a couple of his very thorough tutorials I machine polished for the first time last weekend using his exact tools and technique, And it worked perfectly. I had three or four pretty bad scratches that were 6 inches long, I could just barely catch my fingernail in them and they're completely gone now (thanks Swanic!).

Do yourself a favor and take Swanic up on his offer. He's being humble… He's pretty much the glass polishing rockstar around here.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Swanic, I feel so thrilled to get your reply! It was exactly your post on this forum that ignited my hope of getting these scratches polished out. I cannot thank you enough for your kind offer!!

At this stage, I am certainly getting pretty desperate about undoing the damage. May I PM you? I live along the line of Montco and Delco, and so it should not be too far from you.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank Rejiggered for your post. Yes, Swanic's tutorial is exactly what attracted me to this forum at the first place. Glad to know that you were able to get your glass fixed!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Swanic, thanks again for the most kind offer. I have sent you a message.

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I'm near Philly (far Montco burbs) and have pretty good experience / success polishing glass.... I don't really work on other people's cars - but sorta feel bad cuz I know your gonna get the run around from the dealer & prolly detailer's that say they can fix this but only make it worse. I have the correct products as well...Lemme know if you get desperate...