autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: You guys throw your drying towels in with other MF's to wash?

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    All my MF car towels get washed together w/ MF detergent. I mean, how many loads of wash am I going to do for MF towels? Life's too short to sort car towels.

Anytime I'm washing a car, the last thing to touch it is something with DI water - so I mostly let it drip dry and wipe it down. So, drying towels become a non issue.
    I didn't understand this.

So because you use deionized water, it drips mostly to the floor and by the time you use a drying towel to dry the car, it isn't that wet and doesn't make your towel that wet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amalik View Post
    I didn't understand this.

So because you use deionized water, it drips mostly to the floor and by the time you use a drying towel to dry the car, it isn't that wet and doesn't make your towel that wet?
    Pretty much exactly. If I'm doing a rinseless - I use DI water & pretty much let the car drip dry in the garage. If I'm doing a regular wash, same - but final rinse with DI water. DI water has no minerals - so you don't have to really worry about water spots - which is the main reason to dry a car and not let it air dry.

The car doesn't dry perfect - but any spots wipe right off. Then once it's pretty dry I'll just wipe it down with a QD. It's significantly less time, effort, paint touching (can cause swirls), and dirty/wet towels this way. I've been doing it this way for years. Usually, while it's dripping dry - I'll blow water out of cracks, etc... with a MB or similar.

Works a lot better if you have a garage to just let the car sit in. Sometimes I'll just let it drip dry overnight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amalik View Post
    what about interior cleaning; is that thrown in with your paint category?
    I do throw most interior towels in with the paint ones because I'm not cleaning anything more than dust from the majority of the interiors. I often throw the wheel towels in with the paint ones as well because they're not really dirty when cleaning wheels weekly or bi-weekly on my own cars. For the tire or wheel well towels, I usually just wash those by hand after soaking them for a few hours in a bucket with apc or a degreaser. If I didn't do them by hand, I would be waiting quite a long time to accumulate enough to justify running them through the washing machine. It takes only a few minutes tops to clean them in the sink by hand. The pre-soak loosens up the majority of stuff. A quick blast of the kitchen sink sprayer removes almost everything else that can be removed. I don't really try to get those towels 100% clean. They're stained all up, but work like a champ.

Post Thanks / Like

I wash in dirt levels. Basically still clean towels, Normal dirty towels, real dirty towels, and why do I still use these they are basically shop towels. Also they get washed dirtiest to cleanest so the washing machine has least chance of holding something from dirty towel loads and getting it on her clothes and her making me buy her a new one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    If you are getting lint then you have a problem. High-quality spun MF yarn does not shed lint, ever. That is an inherent quality of well-made MF. It is why it is used in the optics field. There is something severely wrong with your product if it is shedding anything at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is possible to get lint on your microfibers if you don't clean out the lint trap on the dryer before drying.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Noob here but how long does it take MF towels to dry? I've been trying to just air dry (no heat) in my dryer and it takes a life time. My low heat setting on the dryer is still pretty warm to touch. I have been going 60 mins on the air dry (no heat) then hanging them on the rack to finish.

Is this normal?

Post Thanks / Like

You guys throw your drying towels in with other MF's to wash?

Quote Originally Posted by honda99ex View Post
    Noob here but how long does it take MF towels to dry?
    Low heat 30-35min.
    That fluff setting is just a waste of energy.
    Air drying them results in stiffer towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting approaches to MF washing. Will have to reconsider what I do. My wheel towels and lower quality ones get washed together. But, I always pre-rinse or pre-wash the wheel towels. Just too much particulate matter I don't want contaminating my other towels, even interior the ones. Usually in a bucket with APC or towel cleaner.

I generally wash all my paint towels together. If I've removed any polish or compound, those go into a bucket with diluted pad cleaner so the polish can start dissolving immediately. Had issues where I can smell polish on all my towels before and don't want towels with polish going into my washer.

Tide Free & Clear is good. For me HD Towel Kleen works better, especially for polish and other difficult stuff.

I've almost stopped using drying towels. I have some 1100 gsm 16x16 that are far better than anything else I've used. Larger drying towels are too hard to manage for me. I have a Griot's PFM on the way, so will see how that does.

Lint: never see it after the first wash. Seems like it's an indicator of an issue with some towels or the dryer.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by honda99ex View Post
    Noob here but how long does it take MF towels to dry? I've been trying to just air dry (no heat) in my dryer and it takes a life time. My low heat setting on the dryer is still pretty warm to touch. I have been going 60 mins on the air dry (no heat) then hanging them on the rack to finish.

Is this normal?
    I dry mine on regular heat for 30 minutes usually. I've done the no heat, low heat, etc. thing and I honestly do not notice a difference in my towels. I've said this plenty of times here before: Some of my towels are up to or over ten years old and still have plenty of life left in them.

Post Thanks / Like

Have any of you found that your washing machine has any residue left in it from the detailing product coming off the mf towels....last thing I need is to damage of any of the DW's clothes! Does the detergent get it all out and leave the washing machine clean?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast