autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boss MF pad issue

I don't see the plate doing it as it moves with the plate so o don't see the backing getting torn by it unless it's slipping somehow.

I was using these almost daily for idk months with zero issues and I have used, cleaned, and washed mine well over 60 plus times each and none of mine are ruined. I have one that the red turned purple but that's my fault because a chemical spilled on it but it still works fine

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same exact thing happen with my Boss MF pads. I change pads after every section pass, rotating though about 6 pads for the car, and blow them out with air after each section. It only happened to 2 of my pads though. I got in contact with Griots and they replaced the pads for me. Their customer service is excellent, still could not figure out why it happened on only 2 pads but I haven't had a problem since.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Boss MF pad issue

I have one that has the same cutting to it.

I think it is the pad backing that is doing the cutting and thought that maybe I'm running them at too high of speed, or me not keeping the pad flat like I'm edging it.

I do wish the foam was a little stiffer, but besides this one, these are awesome pads.

I'm using them with a Duetto.

Like yours, the cutting is straight down, not from hitting something from the side.

Other pads show were used for the same detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking out loud here... certainly pressure has something to do with this. Pressure is going to induce "pad twist" (strain) when applied due to the friction ("drag") between the underlying surface (clear coat) and the microfiber/product. More PRESSURE = more "drag" and "pad twist" = more pad pad stress. Alternately, more PRODUCT = less "drag" and "pad twist" = less pad stress. **Also important to note** ... with a long throw, the "pad twist" is increased a good degree with insufficient lubrication.

When the pad is under stress, it's going to tear more easily when anything comes in contact with it (in this case, either the hook edge OR the loop edge OR the backing plate itself?). So... use more product to relieve some of the friction (and some of the "twisting" of the pad)? Or maybe you've "maxed out" the usefulness of that product/pad combo and need to jump to a stiffer pad for the task at hand? Or a stronger abrasive?

Seems to me that pressure and lubrication are two variables to consider here-- too much of one and not enough of the other. With either less pressure or more product (or both), I think you'd see the problem go away. And if you can't achieve what you'd like, after adjusting one or both of those variables, then I'd move to a stiffer pad or stronger abrasive.

Does this happen on a brand new pad? Or only after they've been used a few times? If used, what are you using to clean your pads? Could something be causing breakdown of the foam to the point where they're much softer and not even supporting the weight of the polisher?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    I don't see the plate doing it as it moves with the plate so o don't see the backing getting torn by it unless it's slipping somehow.

I was using these almost daily for idk months with zero issues and I have used, cleaned, and washed mine well over 60 plus times each and none of mine are ruined. I have one that the red turned purple but that's my fault because a chemical spilled on it but it still works fine

Interesting, but good to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@CherryOnTop View Post
    I had the same exact thing happen with my Boss MF pads. I change pads after every section pass, rotating though about 6 pads for the car, and blow them out with air after each section. It only happened to 2 of my pads though. I got in contact with Griots and they replaced the pads for me. Their customer service is excellent, still could not figure out why it happened on only 2 pads but I haven't had a problem since.
    Definitly going to give them a call!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I have one that has the same cutting to it.

I think it is the pad backing that is doing the cutting and thought that maybe I'm running them at too high of speed, or me not keeping the pad flat like I'm edging it.

I do wish the foam was a little stiffer, but besides this one, these are awesome pads.

I'm using them with a Duetto.

Like yours, the cutting is straight down, not from hitting something from the side.

Other pads show were used for the same detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Strange indeed, good to see I am not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Thinking out loud here... certainly pressure has something to do with this. Pressure is going to induce "pad twist" (strain) when applied due to the friction ("drag") between the underlying surface (clear coat) and the microfiber/product. More PRESSURE = more "drag" and "pad twist" = more pad pad stress. Alternately, more PRODUCT = less "drag" and "pad twist" = less pad stress. **Also important to note** ... with a long throw, the "pad twist" is increased a good degree with insufficient lubrication.

When the pad is under stress, it's going to tear more easily when anything comes in contact with it (in this case, either the hook edge OR the loop edge OR the backing plate itself?). So... use more product to relieve some of the friction (and some of the "twisting" of the pad)? Or maybe you've "maxed out" the usefulness of that product/pad combo and need to jump to a stiffer pad for the task at hand? Or a stronger abrasive?

Seems to me that pressure and lubrication are two variables to consider here-- too much of one and not enough of the other. With either less pressure or more product (or both), I think you'd see the problem go away. And if you can't achieve what you'd like, after adjusting one or both of those variables, then I'd move to a stiffer pad or stronger abrasive.

Does this happen on a brand new pad? Or only after they've been used a few times? If used, what are you using to clean your pads? Could something be causing breakdown of the foam to the point where they're much softer and not even supporting the weight of the polisher?
    Definitely has to be something specific causing the issue. If I had more pads I would attempt to test under different conditions to figure out what it is. Boss creams to me are on the more "oily" side. So even thought I "prime" I do not prime with as much as other products. With MF pads in general I feel like they need more product, especially after blowing them out then foam needs. While polishing I do not feel as if the product is drying up or there is too little on the pad, But it is a possibility.

And the first pad pictured was used on a hood. Primed with Boss FCC, Speed 4.5, and did 4 passes. I held it with one hand to keep as much pressure off of the machine as I could. Still thinking that pressure was what is causing the issue. And I literally saw red foam flying out of it. Machine was flat, machine was fresh, pad was new, blown out, and primed. I too find it odd

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same thing happen with both Boss MF pads first time I used them, using them on a GG6. Pads were primed well and only used on flat surfaces. It's not from catching an edge. Guess I'll be contacting Griots, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post
    I had the same thing happen with both Boss MF pads first time I used them, using them on a GG6. Pads were primed well and only used on flat surfaces. It's not from catching an edge. Guess I'll be contacting Griots, too.
    Are you using 5-6 cutting pads per car? Blowing them out after every section pass? exceeding speed 4.5 on your gg6? Using something other than the boss creams with the pads? Using excessive downward pressure?

I use 5.5 inch boss MF pads with my Boss 15 and I marked 1 of the pads and used it on speed 6 and still used the rest of the pads on speed 5. After only two uses the same thing happened the pad I used excessive speed and pressure with. On the GG6, if you are running the machine above 4.5 and using heavier pressure, these pads aren't ideal. On the GG6, I find speed 4 to be the sweet spot with any MF pad. They already run hot compared to foam so moving forward you'll just have to maybe change up your technique if you want to continue using them. They are my favorite MF pad by a long shot, that said I just can't abuse them like I can with Meg's MF pads, or Buff and shine pads. I completely get how guys are accidentally blowing out the foam interface on these, but if you are willing to change up technique a little, and switch them out after every panel, I am getting 10-15 uses out of mine.

Also, I do not prime any pad other the megs MF pads with D300

These pads perform great with FCC or CC. Also, you HAVE to thoroughly blow them out with compressed air to get as much spent compound and polish out prior to going back for more Fast correcting cream. The paint residue really clogs up these pads, ruins the pads performance, and causes excess heat buildup.

This is an issue with too much pressure, speed, and heat more so than anything

Post Thanks / Like

I have one that started to show similar signs. Used on my Rupes LHR15 MKII on speed 4 with D300. The other one that came in the package looks fine.

Post Thanks / Like

mwoywod - Thanks for the great info. I have some of these still in the package that I'm sure will come out when I get to do my car. I'll be sure to keep this all in mind!

Post Thanks / Like

Well well, I just went and checked mine and guess what, one is cut and one (second from the bottom) has slight signs of it. Looks like we are on to something

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast