autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boss MF pad issue

Had one do this in May. One of my neices was running it on her car so I just figured it was bumping against an emblem, and that could have very well be the issue that time. I'll definately watch for future issues though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have one that started to show similar signs. Used on my Rupes LHR15 MKII on speed 4 with D300. The other one that came in the package looks fine.

how many panels did you use it on? If you only used 2 for an entire car that would definitely be a contributing factor. Also, Boss creams are much more lubricated than even D300 so I would assume that plays a factor. Not sure though. There is clearly an issue with the foam but at the same time I haven't found another pad to run as smooth on flat and convex curves with a long throw polisher than the boss MF pads.

I've said this before, but if they made a pad using the white open cell foam interface on the new buff & shine uro-fiber pads AND the actually microfiber from the boss pads, it would truly be the perfect microfiber cutting pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    how many panels did you use it on? If you only used 2 for an entire car that would definitely be a contributing factor. Also, Boss creams are much more lubricated than even D300 so I would assume that plays a factor. Not sure though. There is clearly an issue with the foam but at the same time I haven't found another pad to run as smooth on flat and convex curves with a long throw polisher than the boss MF pads.

I've said this before, but if they made a pad using the white open cell foam interface on the new buff & shine uro-fiber pads AND the actually microfiber from the boss pads, it would truly be the perfect microfiber cutting pad.
    I honestly can not remember how many panels. I haven't used these pads in about a year when I worked on this 2002 Black C5 Corvette Coated with Optimum Gloss Coat.

I was testing these pads at the time comparing them to the Meguiar's microfiber pads. Trust me I have way more pads than to use just two on one car.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am glad to see im not the only one.

And if they made a pad,a machine and polished to run together as a complete system. These bad boys better run properly on speed 6 without issues at all.

Ive had that interface pad melt after 2 sections.... Are you kidding me?

Also the white pads are so stiff that they do not even make full contact. I even tried washing them too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Legacykid View Post
    Well I am glad to see im not the only one.

And if they made a pad,a machine and polished to run together as a complete system. These bad boys better run properly on speed 6 without issues at all.

Ive had that interface pad melt after 2 sections.... Are you kidding me?

Also the white pads are so stiff that they do not even make full contact. I even tried washing them too.
    Micro-fiber pads generate too much heat and the fibers matte down making the pads less effective. Much like how Rupes Blue coarse foam cutting pads have been know to start disintegrating rapidly at too high of speeds, Boss Microfiber pads also do not work well with extreme machine speed. Speed 6 should be reserved for concave/convex areas where you are trying to maintain pad rotation you can temporarily turn it up to help power through those spots but if you're using speed 6 over an entire panel, you'll have to adjust your technique if you want the Boss system to work for you.

I completely understand why everyone else is frustrated because they weren't aware of the precautions needed to use the pads effectively. But your issue is technique, and even if you have the pads replaced it's going to happen again if you don't make adjustments. Much like the Rupes system, the Boss system works as long as you're willing to be reasonable and adapt where necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Legacykid View Post

Has this happen to anyone else? I used this on the G21, and GG6. I use no pressure, just weight of machine to polish. Ive ripped up a few pads. The last one I ripped up was testing how it happens on a hood, one handed on speed 4.5 G21. I could see red foam flying out of the pad. So that eliminates heat, and pressure. <br><br>Any thoughts, or is this just what it is?
    i had a gg microfiber pad rip as far as the microfiber coming off the pad. i think it was from the washing machine though IDK.

i was using gg microfiber pads on a boat last weekend with a flex on speed 6 and i felt no heat build up at all other then the motor of the flex

Post Thanks / Like

I use the BOSS microfiber cutting pads as my go to with my g21 on speed 6 all the time. Unfortunately this has happened to a good bit of them. Like someone​ else mentioned I think it's a combo of a few things. Foam not dense enough, putting pressure on an edge while polishing is the main reason or catching an edge while polishing.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

I would contact Griot's then and I'm sure they will take care of you. These pads are really all I've used for cutting the last 30 months or so now and I have yet to have one fail or look like that. I've not run them on my GG6 but they have been used on both the G15, G21 and even my Rupes 21 MKII.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Micro-fiber pads generate too much heat and the fibers matte down making the pads less effective. Much like how Rupes Blue coarse foam cutting pads have been know to start disintegrating rapidly at too high of speeds, Boss Microfiber pads also do not work well with extreme machine speed. Speed 6 should be reserved for concave/convex areas where you are trying to maintain pad rotation you can temporarily turn it up to help power through those spots but if you're using speed 6 over an entire panel, you'll have to adjust your technique if you want the Boss system to work for you.

I completely understand why everyone else is frustrated because they weren't aware of the precautions needed to use the pads effectively. But your issue is technique, and even if you have the pads replaced it's going to happen again if you don't make adjustments. Much like the Rupes system, the Boss system works as long as you're willing to be reasonable and adapt where necessary.
    What exactly is the issue with my technique?

Post Thanks / Like

This is an issue with too much pressure, speed, and heat more so than anything
    If you care to read the first post all of this was covered is why im asking whats wrong with my technique?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast