autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolgang sealant on perfect paint. Should I use polish enhancer and top with wax?

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    Uhhh, maybe very little driving and 24x7 time in the temperature-controlled garage?
    I would say if you are happy with the condition of the paint with respect to non noticeable marring the following steps are appropriate:

a.) Fine grade clay bar. Fine grade with ample liquid on the surface, I personally don't worry about paint marring.
    b.) Wolfgang Polish Enhancer

Then Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolgang sealant on perfect paint. Should I use polish enhancer and top with wax?

Wolfgang sealant is a great product. I have topped it with Pinnacle Souveran paste wax and P21S and could not tell a difference with either added. From now on I will just stay with the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant, and experiment with 2 coats.

As for polish enhancers, it is too hard to say. You will have to inspect the paint after claying to determine if you need/want to use the polish enhancer. As far as clay goes, I would do the baggie test first; you may not even need to clay, and that could save you a few steps. Just my opinions though.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by engineerwolf View Post
    Wolfgang sealant is a great product. I have topped it with Pinnacle Souveran paste wax and P21S and could not tell a difference with either added. From now on I will just stay with the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant, and experiment with 2 coats.

As for polish enhancers, it is too hard to say. You will have to inspect the paint after claying to determine if you need/want to use the polish enhancer. As far as clay goes, I would do the baggie test first; you may not even need to clay, and that could save you a few steps. Just my opinions though.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    ditto, I like WGDGS leaves nice slick finish and looks great, I have applied 2 coats with curing 12hrs between coats. I've also topped it with Pinnacle souveran an couldn't tell much of a difference. Very easy to apply and remove.

Post Thanks / Like

I know, this is the amazing part. I wish I could take credit for it or even explain it, but I bought the car CPO and it was already like that. It was owned in a less populated area of southern california, so if it was garaged it would be possible that it had very little outdoor/weather exposure. It's also possible that the prior owner gave it a proper polish just before trading it in or that the BMW dealership has a really good detailer on staff who prepped it, but given the remarkable overall condition of the car he may have just maintained it that well. I'm super anal about this stuff and my condition on buying a used/cpo car was that it truly was 'like new' condition. I've had several months to really go over it inside and out and I can't find one flaw on any part of the entire car.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I want to know how you got "perfect" paint on a 3 years old car?

Post Thanks / Like

It seems fairly unanimous then that I should just do two coats of wolfgang and call it a day. I will give that a try and see how I like it. Will worry about wax later if I am not pleased, but so far I've not heard anyone unhappy with that stuff so I'm optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by HCF View Post
    ditto, I like WGDGS leaves nice slick finish and looks great, I have applied 2 coats with curing 12hrs between coats. I've also topped it with Pinnacle souveran an couldn't tell much of a difference. Very easy to apply and remove.

Post Thanks / Like

I put on the wolfgang this weekend. I may add photos later, but I don't think they will show anything definitive as my before, in between, and afters all look the same. Good paint never looks bad in photos as long as it's clean.

I washed the car, clayed, washed again to remove any residue. After, the paint looked great but my fingers would not glide along the surface.

Enter wolfgang polish enhancer:
    Put on as directed back and forth, let haze, buffed off. Pretty straightforward. I did not really see a difference after this. Surface was a slight bit slicker, but visually it was the same as before.

Sealant time:

Went on really easy. Used a foam applicator. Once it got soaked with product I pretty much couldn't screw it up. Was very easy to put on a light consistent coating and I did put it on everything! Glass, headlights, vinyl decals on door sill, grill, emblems, etc. I didn't worry one bit about getting a bit too much on various parts that you normally worry about with waxes. I went to lunch and about an hour and a half later it was nicely hazed and buffed off pretty easily. It needed a bit more rubbing than a wax normally would as it seemed to kind of wear down the haze rather than kind of break it off the way waxes are. It easily came off of everything I had applied it to and next day there is no sign of residue or dust anywhere.

Final determination:

1) Appearance: I think it does look different from a carnuaba wax. It doesn't seem to have that added depth that you get with a carnuaba, but instead it's a bit clearer and just makes the good qualities of the paint stand out more. The metallic flake really pops. I took pictures and you can't really see it in them, it all just looks super shiny as it did before. In person though, you just see all the little detail in the flake that I didn't notice before. Overall, I am very happy with the look of it and don't feel a need to top it.

2) Polish Enhancer: I don't think this provided any correction to the paint and/or actual polishing, just more of a cleaner. My paint was super clean to start with, so I think maybe I didn't need this so much. Manufacturer recommends using it though and if it makes the sealant adhere better than is worth the trouble. It wasn't hard to apply/buff and didn't cause any harm. If you have really clean paint I'd guess you could probably save yourself a few bucks on this, but my overall results turned out really good so why mess with a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Since it's going to be a daily driver, parked in the sun all day, I would look into a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings weird me out. The process seems a bit too involved and easy to mess up, yet hard to remove/correct. I do oddly enjoy doing this, just not every month as needed with a wax or to the extent that I want to purchase curing lights as with a coating. This sealant seems to hit the sweet spot of obsessive, but not insanely obsessive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Since it's going to be a daily driver, parked in the sun all day, I would look into a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM235ily View Post
    Sealant time:

Final determination:

1) Appearance: I think it does look different from a carnuaba wax. It doesn't seem to have that added depth that you get with a carnuaba, but instead it's a bit clearer and just makes the good qualities of the paint stand out more. The metallic flake really pops. I took pictures and you can't really see it in them, it all just looks super shiny as it did before. In person though, you just see all the little detail in the flake that I didn't notice before. Overall, I am very happy with the look of it and don't feel a need to top it.
    Coatings weird me out.
    The process seems a bit too involved
    and easy to mess up, yet hard to
    remove/correct.

I do oddly enjoy doing this, just not
    every month as needed with a wax
    or to the extent that I want to purchase
    curing lights as with a coating.

This sealant seems to hit the sweet spot
    of obsessive, but not insanely obsessive.
    IMO: The "shininess" that WDGPS confers
    will be quite effective in reflecting UV-rays
    right back to where they came from.

{That's what I also include in my
    definintion of paint protection.}

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

2) Polish Enhancer: I don't think this provided any correction to the paint and/or actual polishing, just more of a cleaner.

That's correct.

Paint cleaners, and that's what that product is - is a paint cleaner, only offer light topical cleaning.

What I tell people if they are going to go through all the time, energy and sweat to hand or machine apply a paint cleaner might as well apply a fine cut polish and get all the benefits of the paint cleaner PLUS some light correction.

I don't ever use paint cleaners. Nothing against them but I know to use a "real" polish for the reasons I outlined above. A better option next time you do something like this would be to get the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze which is miss-labeled because it's NOT a glaze. It's a fine cut polish.

The term glaze is pretty much useless in our industry. I have articles on what a true glaze is and which products are truly glazes and for the most part, most people reading this today and into the future for the next 100 years will never need a glaze.

Hope the above helps a little...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast