autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing newly painted panel

Quote Originally Posted by amalik View Post
    While I understand what you're saying, Wikipedia says orange peel is the result of improper painting. I would think there wouldn't be orange peel when a shop did the job perfectly, as OP said they did.
    There's only a small percentage of shops that have the expertise to spray no orange peel, it takes a very good painter. 80% of the time you are wet sanding to match other panels, and if your not you're either really good or you matched the orange peel when you painted. It's also unrealistic to assume that all body shops are perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Plus the fact I want my repair paint to match not only color perfectly but the surrounding texture as well. While OP is not desirable, I do want it to match so as to hide the fact any repair was done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    Plus the fact I want my repair paint to match not only color perfectly but the surrounding texture as well. While OP is not desirable, I do want it to match so as to hide the fact any repair was done.
    Smart approach. I would stick with that. Its a professional way to look at body repair and body matching. 90% of the time you can tell a textured panel from a non textured panel. It would almost be like comparing a shiny shoe and and a dull shoe. One will always stand out more than the other, drawing negative attention to the shoes. In this case, negative attention to the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    You can normally start any sanding and buffing process a few days after the paint has been sprayed.

The sooner you start sanding and buffing "generally speaking" the easier it will be to remove your sanding marks because the paint will still be more polishable. I wouldn't say it's soft but I would say it will not have reached full cure and hardness. What I have seen when paint is sanded and buffed too soon is the surface appearance changes for the worse and you'll see what looks like dull splotchy areas, sometimes you'll see sanding marks that you "thought" you removed re-appear.

The longer you wait, the more the paint will dry and do any shifting it's going to do and then when you sand and buff, the results you see are the results you get.

What are you working on?

What type of paint was sprayed?

Does a newly painted panel fresh out of the shop have to be wet sanded?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12