autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Silicone Tire Dressings Bad!! For Tires And Paint!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    there are good silicones and bad silicones, unfortunately there doesnt seem to be a label warning which ones they are. I tend to stay away from any cheap as usually an indicator of low grade silicones.
    Would be willing to name a product(s) that have, in your opiniun, the better of the two silicones? This is a pretty new area for me and your thoughts would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using RL tire dressing for a while and never had a problem... however I now mix 25/75 DP tire gel, and then RL tire dressing

Post Thanks / Like

Most companies will just state on their product MSDS ;as there is no requirement to be more specific, "Silicone".

You should also realize that if someone was too name products on a public forum that an individual thought contained "not so good silicone" he would be opening himself, and /or his company, of whom he is a representative to a law suite.

Use a product from a mfg that you trust and using the guidelines given (Greasy = DMS, Milky white = PDS)

When it comes to product marketing and technical specifications, it is also important to realize that all companies must keep secure their proprietary information and agreements. Without this, no business would have the incentive to develop new products, expand their market, stay competitive, and ultimately - exist.
    Last edited by TOGWT; 12-08-2007 at 07:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dust2Glory View Post
    I've been using RL tire dressing for a while and never had a problem... however I now mix 25/75 DP tire gel, and then RL tire dressing
    Using a silicone (clear, DMS) isn't going to make your tires explode when they come in contacr with it ... prolonged use of it along with UV radiation especially on vehicles that don't get driven a lot are the ones thar are going to have the most issues.

Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    Most companies will just state on their product MSDS ;as there is no requirement to be more specific, "Silicone".

You should also realize that if someone was too name products on a public forum that an individual thought contained "not so good silicone" he would be opening himself, and /or his company, of whom he is a representative to a law suite.

Use a product from a mfg that you trust and using the guidelines given (Greasy = DMS, Milky white = PDS)

When it comes to product marketing and technical specifications, it is also important to realize that all companies must keep secure their proprietary information and agreements. Without this, no business would have the incentive to develop new products, expand their market, stay competitive, and ultimately - exist.
    Great points indeed. I personally try to stay away from clear tire dressings but I'm not sure if that's the only way to tell. I use Meguair's Hot Shine which is clear meaning it must be DMS silicone. On the MSDS is states it contains a
    "Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon" which all of their other dressings have in it except for their "silicone free" dressing which contains glycerine instead. This product doesn't have that milky appearance like say Poorboy's NL or the new Armor Alls;

Post Thanks / Like

I use the CarBrite Purple dressing with awesome results, as the OP had said. I also use a product extremely similar to Meguiars Hyper Dressing.
    In the business world, the rear-view mirror is always clearer than the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

Just pulled this off of the Meguiar's forum, and thought it was very interesting in regards to tires. Goes along with what you guys were saying about the chemicle (it's called antiozonant).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange

1. Which Meguiar's products should I use on my tires?

Most people don't give a lot of thought to their tires except for how they look. Truth be known, your tires are designed to perform under extreme conditions of heat via kinetic energy transfer, high speeds for long periods of time and incredible forces of torque and flexing. That's a lot to ask from a chunk of rubber, inflated with air like a cream filled donut.

The science behind the modern rubber formulas used by major tire manufactures today is both complex and interesting. The rubber itself contains and ingredient called Antiozonant. Antiozonant is an ingredient that helps to prevent the exterior rubber surface from cracking, checking, oxidizing, and deteriorating. The rubber is designed in such a way as to constantly work its way to the outside of the tire and as such, continually replenish the exterior surface with fresh antiozonant.

After the antiozonant works its way to the outside of the tire and is exposed to the ozone in the air, it turns brown. The technical term for this effect is blooming.

This is why you see a brown film on the surface your tires. You can wash your tires with soap or an all-purpose cleaner and remove this film, but in a few weeks, it's back. That's because the antiozonant continually works its way to the outside of the tires every time you drive your car.
    Their tire dressings apparently replenish the antiozonant in the tire from what they say, and I believe it; I have yet to find any false information from them on car care. Some may not like Meguiar's, but you can't deny they do offer a wealth of knowledge

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I'm aware this is called Carbon black, I've never heard of antiozonant.

To provide protection from ultra violet radiation (UVR) a sacrificial absorber (carbon black) is used to convert UV radiation into harmless light wave energy and dissipate it. Carbon Black forms a high percentage of the rubber compound. This gives reinforcement and abrasion resistance. Silica used together with carbon black in high performance tires, as a low heat build up reinforcement.

Post Thanks / Like

I also expect that the info we find out will help weed out the bad companies from the good, I don't expect we want bad companies to exist, much less stay competitive on a price only basis.

Companies will hide formulas for competition purposes but should not be allowed to hide info on products that are detrimental to the product is was designed to work on.

enjoy life while you can

Post Thanks / Like

I also expect that the info we find out will help weed out the bad companies from the good, I don't expect we want bad companies to exist, much less stay competitive on a price only basis.

Companies will hide formulas for competition purposes but should not be allowed to hide info on products that are detrimental to the product is was designed to work on.

enjoy life while you can

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Silicone Tire Dressings Bad!! For Tires And Paint!!!!

sorry for the double post. good ole' MS Windows at it's best...
    enjoy life while you can

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast