autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Gyeon Mohs questions

I recently just applied Gyeon Mohs to my car about a week ago. I have a few quick questions. What is the shelf life on the coating once it has been opened? I still have to do my bumpers and side skirts since I have a few parts to install that involve some double sided tape and wanted to ensure they stick well.

As far a maintenance goes on the coating I purchased Bathe for washes and also have Cure which was in the kit. Do I just do a maintenance wipe down with cure about once a month and in between that just wash and dry?

I'm still up in the air about purchasing a vortex generator for my roof on the Evo X at the moment which installs with double sided tape. What pad/polish combo would be best for removing the coating to install this? Also once polished what would be the best way to tell the coating has been removed in order for safe install?

Thanks again

Mike Phillips

Re: Post Gyeon Mohs questions

Quote Originally Posted by boostedmoose003 View Post

I recently just applied Gyeon Mohs to my car about a week ago. I have a few quick questions.

What is the shelf life on the coating once it has been opened?

I still have to do my bumpers and side skirts since I have a few parts to install that involve some double sided tape and wanted to ensure they stick well.

Hi boostedmoose003,

I'm not sure of the shelf life of any GYEON product off hand so I'll send the link to this thread to Jeff at GYEON and I'm sure he'll reply.

As far a maintenance goes on the coating I purchased Bathe for washes and also have Cure which was in the kit. Do I just do a maintenance wipe down with cure about once a month and in between that just wash and dry?
    That should work. I do something similar to our Mercedes-Benz using Pinnacle Black Label products and the paint on our car is always glassy looking and beads water really well. Water beading is not important to me but fast washing, (easy dirt release) and fast drying is something I appreciate and this is one of the primary benefits to having a coating on your car's paint.

I'm still up in the air about purchasing a vortex generator for my roof on the Evo X at the moment which installs with double sided tape.

What pad/polish combo would be best for removing the coating to install this?
    My guess is a medium cut polish with a foam polishing pad on any orbital polish will remove ANY coating.

Also once polished what would be the best way to tell the coating has been removed in order for safe install?

Thanks again

Chemically strip the panel and then compare water beading of the polished section to the un-polished section.

Besides that - I don't think any of the coating gurus and experts in the blogosphere have written an accurate article that describes exactly how to tell if a coating is removed or not removed. There's conjecture and people that say you must wet sand or dry sand the coating off but nothing authorities that I've seen.

Sure would like to see some authority figure put it down in writing, as in a step by step process and how to test. I doubt anyone will ever do it though because there's really no way for the layman to know.

Without shrinking yourself down to the sub-atomic particle size and then walking around on the panel and looking with your eyes, I'm just not sure how a person could ever know.

So instead, take the area you want to apply the double sided sticky tape and run a medium cut polish with a foam polishing or foam cutting pad for about 8 passes. The wipe off the residue. Then chemically strip the area using mineral spirits.

Maybe even hit the area with some IPA.

Then apply the double-sided sticky tape. Allow about an hour to go by and then test the double sided sticky tape adhesion by trying to lift a section STRAIGHT UP and OFF the surface. Don't test by trying to peel it off as of course it will probably peel right off. That's now what will happen in the real world though. If your Vortex Generator is going to come off, it's going to LIFT OFF not PEEL OFF.

Make sense?

You can also go to the Facebook world and ask all these same questions and then come back here and share the replies you get, this would be interesting.

Mike Phillips

For those that might not know....

This is a Vortex Generator it's roof wing for cars...

A vortex generator (VG) is an aerodynamic device, consisting of a small vane usually attached to a lifting surface (or airfoil, such as an aircraft wing) or a rotor blade of a wind turbine.

VGs may also be attached to some part of an aerodynamic vehicle such as an aircraft fuselage or a car.

Just to add....

After you add the VG to your car, be sure to maintain the finish so it doesn't suffer clearcoat failure.

This component is on the roof so it's fully exposed to the sun and I cannot count how many times some young guy shared a picture of his carbon fiber wing with either severe oxidation or clearcoat failure and asked,

How do I fix this?

The answer is, instead of fixing it, do preventative maintenance.

Mike Phillips

See this article for something fast and easy... or fast and furious and easy....

Patented UV Protection - Optimum Car Wax - by Dr. Ghodoussi at Autogeek.com

Post Thanks / Like

Actually when it comes to the non-pro coatings, pretty much finishing polish and a polishing pad will remove it. The best way to tell if a coating is completely removed is how the paint feels. Bare paint feels squeaky, thats the best way to describe it.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning!

Once opened, Mohs has a shelf life of about 6 months. Store it in a cool area and in the shade (in a cabinet is perfect). I also tape the cap closed tightly to limit the amount of air the Coating is exposed to.

Bathe and Cure are perfect for wash maintenance. You can apply Cure as often as you'd like, but 1-2 months is perfect and will keep the coating performing at its best.

In terms of removal, Mike made some great points below. I would follow that procedure and feel confident that the tape will adhere.