autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 vs. Rupes Mille/Makita P5000C, for those that are wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    id like to say the Mille, but i'm sure it'll be very negligible between Rupes and Makita
    I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Thoughts RSW? RPM is higher on the Makita.

Thanks for the info on the Rupes.

In my experience, Rupes always executes their designs very well and they've been around a long time and the Mille isn't the first forced rotation machine they've made so I'd expect it to be well built. Also, it has two options when it comes to backing plates - both five and six inch. The six inch backing plate will mean more movement between the pad and the paint for any given RPM. They also had the good sense to make the machine spin the right direction. At SEMA, I had a long and very good, both technically and personally, conversation with their designer who is a very professional and personable guy about why they should make a forced rotation with orbit machine and what characteristics I thought it should have. So....

The PO5000C and Rupes are essentially equal in weight, power and ergonomics, so it comes down to movement. The diameter of the orbits are, again, essentially equal. They both have enough and that's all they should have because, even though the machines can be counter balanced to deal with the vibration created by the orbit when the machines are running freely, the movement of the machine against the paint sends a vibration back through the machine from the surface. I bigger orbit, a bigger vibration. No way around it. They've both got it right.

So, even though the Rupes has the option for the bigger backing plate, I think the speed difference will give the edge to the Makita in terms of how much work you can get out of it in any given time. 780 rpms for the Makita and 535 for the Rupes means the Makita will create more movement between the pad and the paint. Because the Makita spins faster, it might vibrate more when it's in use. If it does, I'll put a weight on it where a handle might screw in.

That's why I've got a Makita on order.

Take Care,
    RSW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RSW View Post
    Thanks for the info on the Rupes.

In my experience, Rupes always executes their designs very well and they've been around a long time and the Mille isn't the first forced rotation machine they've made so I'd expect it to be well built. Also, it has two options when it comes to backing plates - both five and six inch. The six inch backing plate will mean more movement between the pad and the paint for any given RPM. They also had the good sense to make the machine spin the right direction. At SEMA, I had a long and very good, both technically and personally, conversation with their designer who is a very professional and personable guy about why they should make a forced rotation with orbit machine and what characteristics I thought it should have. So....

The PO5000C and Rupes are essentially equal in weight, power and ergonomics, so it comes down to movement. The diameter of the orbits are, again, essentially equal. They both have enough and that's all they should have because, even though the machines can be counter balanced to deal with the vibration created by the orbit when the machines are running freely, the movement of the machine against the paint sends a vibration back through the machine from the surface. I bigger orbit, a bigger vibration. No way around it. They've both got it right.

So, even though the Rupes has the option for the bigger backing plate, I think the speed difference will give the edge to the Makita in terms of how much work you can get out of it in any given time. 780 rpms for the Makita and 535 for the Rupes means the Makita will create more movement between the pad and the paint. Because the Makita spins faster, it might vibrate more when it's in use. If it does, I'll put a weight on it where a handle might screw in.

That's why I've got a Makita on order.

Take Care,
    RSW
    Fantastic reply, thank you. I'm going to order the Makita as well.

'03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Half a pound heavier for the new tools.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    So instead of shelling out $700+ for two tools, a gear driven da and a free spinning da you get both in one tool for $369.00. I'd have to say that's a major plus in the Makita's favor and a revolution in the da world.
    Yeah, it might be a revolution in the DA world, but it's not a revolution in Makita's world, because they already make this:

Makita BO6050J Polisher

That's the second version of that polisher, the original version they have been making for I think as long as I've been on detailing forums, so that's over a dozen years. Mike Phillips reviewed it here: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ing-marks.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Yeah, it might be a revolution in the DA world, but it's not a revolution in Makita's world, because they already make this:

Makita BO6050J Polisher

That's the second version of that polisher, the original version they have been making for I think as long as I've been on detailing forums, so that's over a dozen years. Mike Phillips reviewed it here: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ing-marks.html
    FWIW. the new makita has a higher OPM and RPM.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW. the new makita has a higher OPM and RPM.
    I'm just saying that the concept (and sale) of the forced/free polisher has been around for a long time. Makita never got very much traction with it before, it was a very expensive machine, but that was back in the PC days, before we had expensive Flex, Rupes, and BOSS machines.

I mean here's a thread about it from 2007, which is about as far back as you can go on this forum: 7424 Or ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I'm just saying that the concept (and sale) of the forced/free polisher has been around for a long time. Makita never got very much traction with it before, it was a very expensive machine, but that was back in the PC days, before we had expensive Flex, Rupes, and BOSS machines.

I mean here's a thread about it from 2007, which is about as far back as you can go on this forum: 7424 Or ?
    You're right, the BO6040 was very expensive when it came out. I bought one the minute I saw it online and paid right around $600 for it. I used it one day and ordered another one - my wife asked, why I needed two... because if this thing breaks I'm not leaving the house till it's fixed or replaced. That was 2002. I've tried almost every machine before and since then, all makes all actions - you don't know until you do a side by side test.

I did the math and found that even with the smaller backing plate, the Makita still has roughly twenty percent more movement at the outside edge because of speed advantage - I didn't account for the opms because my math's not up to it, maybe yours is.

The smaller pad on either machine will obviously put more pressure per square inch on the panel as well but there's a limit to how hard you can push down before you start warping the sheet metal. I do a fair number of aluminum cars so I sometimes have to be very light, even holding the machine up but that's not the norm, or rather, average.

This is one of those cases where a lighter machine isn't better either. The machine has to have a enough weight to dampen the vibration that comes from the friction of the orbit against the panel. Like I mentioned before, I had to add weights to the BO6050 but the extra weight really smooths it out. Also, it helps on the horizontal surfaces and by weighting the pad slightly more on side spinning downward on the side panels you can make the machine lift itself, so it's not an issue. It might not need two lbs added but it is really smooth now, lol.

BTW, Makita makes a hard 5 inch backing plate for the BO6050 and that's what I'm using.

All the best,
    RSW

Post Thanks / Like

On edit, with the 6050, the OPM's are the same, but the RPM is higher with the PO5000C
    '03 Corvette Z06

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts RSW? RPM is higher on the Makita.

I have to say that is a great looking polisher.

If I was within a few feet of that thing It would be next to impossible not to try to polish with it!

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast