autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 vs. Rupes Mille/Makita P5000C, for those that are wondering.

In forced rotation mode, looking down at the paint, the machine spins backing plate spins counter clockwise? How can the backing plate and the pad spin different directions?

RSW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Yeah I was wrong somehow...

That was a very busy week for me as I was trying to not only review the tool, shoot some videos etc. but I also had to detail the Duster

I just double checked and the backing plate/pad does rotate counter clockwise in the forced rotation mode.

I don't often make mistakes and looking at my current post count over the last 8 years here at Autogeek my mistakes have been far and few between.

Posts count = 36,924

I guess I don't see what the big deal is about which direction the backing plate spins in any mode. No matter which direction it spins --> you are still going to have to HOLD THE TOOL and manage it while buffing.

Because if it spins the same direction as a rotary, people who already use a rotary will be comfortable with in immediately. And, people who learn to use this tool would have been more familiar with the way a rotary interacts with the paint should they choose to learn how to run one.

BTW, I have an idea for a test of how much difference there is between a random orbital that spins and one that doesn't. I'll write it up later, but right now I have a bunch of work to get done.

RSW

Post Thanks / Like

That was a very busy week for me as I was trying to not only review the tool, shoot some videos etc. but I also had to detail the Duster

I just double checked and the backing plate/pad does rotate counter clockwise in the forced rotation mode.

I don't often make mistakes and looking at my current post count over the last 8 years here at Autogeek my mistakes have been far and few between.

Posts count = 36,924

I guess I don't see what the big deal is about which direction the backing plate spins in any mode. No matter which direction it spins --> you are still going to have to HOLD THE TOOL and manage it while buffing.

Hey Mike, we're human and we ALL make mistakes. As BUSY as you are, it's bound to happen. Nothing more respectable than someone who owns up to their mistakes. It happens. On a side note, you happen to be the God of the detailing industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RSW View Post

Because if it spins the same direction as a rotary, people who already use a rotary will be comfortable with in immediately.
    Sure there's some measure of truth to that but it's still not that big of a deal at least in my opinion and I teach classes on how to use the rotary buffer as well as all the other polishers popular in the detailing world.

Now days fewer people use rotary buffers so it's really not a huge factor.

And, people who learn to use this tool would have been more familiar with the way a rotary interacts with the paint should they choose to learn how to run one.
    That's true but as a guy that started out in this industry using a rotary buffer and someone that's used the majority of tools it's seriously and simply not that big of a deal.

IF someone wants to learn how to use a rotary buffer how the backing plate and pad spin on any other tool isn't' going to be the deciding factor that stops them from learning to use the rotary. And from experience, using a rotary requires some level of muscle and physical condition.

BTW, I have an idea for a test of how much difference there is between a random orbital that spins and one that doesn't.

I'll write it up later, but right now I have a bunch of work to get done.

RSW

Looking forward to your write-up.

I know what's involved in creating an article and besides turning your thoughts into written words and any pictures you take, process and include, it's also important to be as accurate as humanly possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Posts count = 36,924

Mike - always love your replies :-).

Speaking only on my behalf, I'm not overly concerned with which direction the pad spins in - whether direct or free spinning mode - as long as it spins. The issue I am having is the lack of spin/rotation in free spinning mode. The unit bogs down way too easily in any speed under 5 (free spin mode) and lack of rotation will impact polishing efficiency.

I am also at a loss to explain: When the pad is in contact with the paint, how/why it spins in one direction in lower speeds (1-2) and then at higher speeds (4-5) spins in a different direction - again free spin mode. See my video in this thread if you haven't already.

Let's see what Makita comes back with. They now have a link to this thread and the video's, and hopefully will get back to us :-)

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

I already have a Flex 3401 that spins counter clockwise and it works phenomenal. The fact that the Makita spins counterclockwise does NOT make it a bad polisher. I think it'll correct faster than the 3401 in forced mode. I wanted a forced rotation machine that spins clockwise. Simple as that.

'03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    I already have a Flex 3401 that spins counter clockwise and it works phenomenal. The fact that the Makita spins counterclockwise does NOT make it a bad polisher. I think it'll correct faster than the 3401 in forced mode. I wanted a forced rotation machine that spins clockwise. Simple as that.

Hey Mark!
    Sorry if this has already been asked (as I didn't read through the thread), but I'm curious as to why; what does it matter what direction the machine rotates, if it does?

FWIW, I've used a lot of machines over the years; rotaries, dual actions, hybrids, etc. (I have access to many), but "I" always come back to the 3401 (A true workhorse in every sense of the word)!...
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401 vs. Rupes Mille/Makita P5000C, for those that are wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by DARK HORSE View Post
    Hey Mark!
    Sorry if this has already been asked (as I didn't read through the thread), but I'm curious as to why; what does it matter what direction the machine rotates, if it does?

FWIW, I've used a lot of machines over the years; rotaries, dual actions, hybrids, etc. (I have access to many), but "I" always come back to the 3401 (A true workhorse in every sense of the word)!...
    Hi Tad, I agree, the 3401 is a BEAST of a polisher. However, I feel it takes A LOT more energy when detailing compared to a random orbital. Factored into that is it spins counter clockwise, IMO. I feel a gear driven polisher would have less steer in clockwise fashion combined with the shorter throw. I could be dead wrong, but that's the reason *I* bought the Makita. Again, it does NOT make it a bad polisher because it spins counterclockwise, I just wanted something *different*.

'03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

^^ oh, I got ya. Thanks for the reply.
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

i guess we can understand why the flex spins the way it does. i'm sure flex would of had it spin clockwise if they wanted to (or maybe not) when they designed it. if you want to the makita features on your flex (both freespin/forced modes), maybe try doing (at your own risk) what's done in the video (yvan from optimum) below. who knows, maybe it spins more effectively than the makita does...

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast