autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CG Critics vis-a-vis Meguiars

Have you tried the Hyper Coat or VRP? I prefer them better.

Those two are good waxes but 3X by CG is really great wax for the bargain price! I had a neighbor that worked in the warehouse for CG and he told me to stay away from that expensive wax Project something. Yes it is $800 or higher if I remember but all you are doing is paying for the expensive container that is it and the wax itself is equivalent to the Concourse 50/50 just with a little more carnuba wax in it.

Their interior scents are not worthy to purchase even thou I love Stripper scent but man it only last for a few minutes.
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I disagree. IMO there's good enough reason for Meguiars to have what may seem like overlapping products, but it's not really quite so simple: For example, everything in the Mirror Glaze line can't really be compared or overlap any other similar product whether it be compound or whatever because the Mirror Glaze line is made to be body shop safe for professional use.

Meanwhile their Detailers Line serves its own dedicated purpose geared to accommodate the maintanince detailer and D302 is the only polish in that line, a polish almost no 1 ever even mentions, so it sure doesn't deserve to be thought of as overkill if no one seems to know it exists...

Deep Crystal maroon line is kept around for oldtimers and cheapos.

Gold Class for the middle aged.

Ultimate line for the millennials.

Mirror Bright for the people with old souls.

And as far as headlight treatments, they have a light duty, med duty, and heavy duty with sandpaper. I bet the people who use it with success are happy it's a available.

Does Chemical Guys even have professional body shop safe products, let alone a dedicated line to cater to the professional? I think not.
    agreed. megs doesn't really overlap in their products (they are conservative IMO) and each serve a purpose for a certain demographic. cg's on the other hand is the complete opposite...

3. Likes Len_A liked this post
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I still like and use certain CG products. Until I find something better I will continue to use what I like from them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idriveblackcars View Post
    I still like and use certain CG products. Until I find something better I will continue to use what I like from them.
    Me too. Their non gloss shampoo(matte wash) is fantastic. My favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some of my favorite girls, I mean CG products. This is how CG sells products, their marketing person is a genius. They get people's attention and then people overlook the poor quality compared to what else is available. I fell for it many years ago but the education gained on the AG site woke me up to reality.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lane5515 View Post
    Here are some of my favorite girls, I mean CG products. This is how CG sells products, their marketing person is a genius. They get people's attention and then people overlook the poor quality compared to what else is available. I fell for it many years ago but the education gained on the AG site woke me up to reality.

I've seen better, they hand an employee that was featured in their website and worked as a cashier at their shop.......wasn't all that to be honest, they had another employee in which she was way better than the model lmao
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Here are my thoughts. I have no allegiance to CG. I use lots of products. I like Meguiars, Gyeon and Optimum products best.

CG Pad cleaner is the best I have tried.

G6 Hyper Coat dressing is great.

C9 Carbon FLex trim coating is the best.

Lemon Lime Odor Neutralizer is good.

Honeydew Snow Foam is the best foamer.

Bare Bones is long lasting undercarriage spray.

Orange Degreaser is great for the price.

I like all their soaps.

I only use their polishes on headlights and windshields.

Their coating product Carbon Flex for paint is outrageously expensive.

Nonsense Invisible Super Cleaner is great if you have a customer who is sensitive to cleaner smells. It has none.

I like their bottles, colors, smells, etc. I don't really mind the sexual double entendre or the girls.

Their service to me (I have a wholesale account with them) has been great.

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree. IMO there's good enough reason for Meguiars to have what may seem like overlapping products, but it's not really quite so simple: For example, everything in the Mirror Glaze line can't really be compared or overlap any other similar product whether it be compound or whatever because the Mirror Glaze line is made to be body shop safe for professional use.

Meanwhile their Detailers Line serves its own dedicated purpose geared to accommodate the maintanince detailer and D302 is the only polish in that line, a polish almost no 1 ever even mentions, so it sure doesn't deserve to be thought of as overkill if no one seems to know it exists...

And as far as headlight treatments, they have a light duty, med duty, and heavy duty with sandpaper. I bet the people who use it with success are happy it's a available.

Does Chemical Guys even have professional body shop safe products, let alone a dedicated line to cater to the professional? I think not.

to add to what Eldorado2k is saying and to the list that was posted I don't see it as overlap but more as consumer lvl or preference. everything on your list is 3 products same thing but one is paste, one is liquid and one is spray. so if you like to product but want to apply it in a different form factor you can.

another thing to note is that while things are the same or similar like 105/205 and ultimate polish/compound they are geared price/cut/size wise to a difference audience. weekend warrior/ pro detailer/ body shop-production environment. so it all fits those slots imo to include tool use for each of those as well. now we mix and match which is fine but megs designs each for the person holding the polisher or foam applicator. that is not at all how CG has developed their line of items at all.

Post Thanks / Like

So, what you are describing is what marketing people refer to as a product mix strategy. CG's is a single wide and deep channel while Meguiar's is multiple narrow channels with varying depth. Toyota has Lexus, Nissan has Infiniti, Honda has Acura and Mazda had Amati/Millenia (never happened here, other than a few years of the Mellenia model) where they all created two channels. Meguiar's created a multi-channel product differentiation strategy. In the end these products are all mostly the same in intent and differ slightly in quality and effect.

My original point was the criticism for the overlapping products and I never really considered the quality or effect for this thread. Almost everyone agrees that CG has some very good products, as does Meguiar's, at least almost everyone who has tried at least a few CG products. I use some CG products and I use some Meguiar's products. I'm not sensitive to customer service so much because I only buy from Amazon and if I don't have a choice I use Autogeek. The only reason Autogeek comes in second is the ground shipping from FL to CA is usually a full week or more whereas on Amazon I can usually get everything within 1 or 2 days and in some cases same day using Amazon Prime. The prices at both places are mostly competitive.

The reason why I even took the time to write this thread was because I sensed unfair criticism of CG because their marketing created a perception of inferiority, but not based on product quality or satisfaction. Let's leave price out of this discussion because we are all mostly cost-sensitive and our decisions are often NOT made based on cost comparison. I don't know what the gross profit margin is for these chemicals but I'm guessing it is 80% or more, depending on the packaging and marketing costs and not because of the cost of the ingredients. I just paid a lot of money for Fuzion, not based on how good or effective it was, but because it seems to have a reputation for being easy-on/easy-off mostly positive outcome and I could not find any negative bias in comments other than it is expensive. I'm satisfied with the result and I would never tell friends (who are not into cars) how much I paid for a wax that I use to top a sealer. They will look at me like I'm nuts.

Lastly, I look at detailing (amateur, not professional) as a sickness, but a good sickness, at least from the reference frame of non-detailers. In short, I must be one sick person to spend as much as I do on car care. But, it is a hobby and there are no limits on how much one spends on a hobby. There is a lot of hype, slick marketing and perception manipulation going on. After all, these are just the same set of chemicals being mixed in different ways to make products that mostly do good things for the paint finish on our cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Blacklight and Pete's 53 a few years ago, great results, limited durability. I've moved on.

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast