autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Polishing not going so well, need some advice...

Hi guys,

So I've been detailing my own car, first time detailing, it's a HONDA CRV Nighthawkblack. I've run over the car with Megs UC + Orange LC pad, see to go well, bit of dusting, bit of sticky residue, but learning to manage them, but having trouble using HD POLISH.

The DA Polisher I'm using is a CONCOUR 900 polisher, no sure what RPM each number is, but having been getting advice from another detailer who has detailed a few HONDA Black vehicles.

https://www.zas.com.au/product/601/c..._polisher.html

Using the DA + Orange LC pad, I apply 3x pea drops on the outter edge of the pad, work it into the paint, then up the speed to 3x for 3 passes (as recommended), went well.

Now with the polishing, I used HD POLISH with an LC White pad, I primed the pad (using QD as I don't have much HD Polish available), applied 3x pea drops to the out. Did the same as previously, but, it leaves residue easily on the paint that is very hard to remove with a MF towel, even using some QG to help. I try going over again with the polisher, helps list if a little, but not a lot. I have to use etra pressure from the MF towel to remove the residue, but can leave light swirls.

I switch to a Black LC polishing pad, but was just as pad (if not slightly worse)

I got to the point and juse decided to use the WHITE LC Polish pad + Megs UC, and that worked fine, the panels are shiny.. probably not as shiny is I used a specific polish, but it heaps better than before washing/correcting.

Any thoughts on what I did wrong? perhaps others have used HD polish with good/bad results, though from reading, many many people seem to praise HD, so maybe it was to do with me.

Ideas ?

I watched a 3 part video of Mike detailing a black car (with Wolfgang products?, Porter Cable DA & LC Pads), though his suggestions were different. He mentioned using speeds of 5-6 for Correcting, 3-4 for polishing and maybe 3 for waxing. He also did 4-6 passes (but also a lot more product.. unless excess product was just used mainly to prime the pad??)

Dual Action Orbital Polisher Guide: how to remove swirls, scratches, & oxidation with an orbital buffer. Porter Cable 7424, foam pads, backing plate,

(part 2 cut out, found part 3 on youtube)

Suggestions ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing not going so well, need some advice...

Go to auto zone and get some ultimate polish. You have to prime the pad. 3 pea sized drops doesn't cut it on a fresh pad. Also don't work to long or do to big of a section

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Go to auto zone and get some ultimate polish. You have to prime the pad. 3 pea sized drops doesn't cut it on a fresh pad. Also don't work to long or do to big of a section
    Hey fightnews, I heard many people say Megs Ult Pol isn't all that great... thoughts?

Also, 'priming' the pad... does it have to be with the product? A read many people spray a lil' QD or water onto the pad to prime, which I like, as I feel as though priming with product, seems like a waste ??

Sections I try polishing are about 40-50cm (15 - 20"), but your right, maybe I should have used 5 pea drops ?

Question: How do I know when I've gotten the most out of the polish during a section? Should I stop once the polish has almost disappeared, or should there still be product haze on the panel?

I try moving slow too while polishing and stopping after 3x passes so I don't overwork.. then I saw Mike do almost 2x that many passes with great results... perhaps my technique need improvements ?

Post Thanks / Like

Meg's Ult Polish has worked great for me on a strawberry red Ford Edge, and my black Camaro. I say give it a shot, it's OTC and not expensive at all. It just might be what you need.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

UP is highly regarded here. You asked for advice but dont seem to want to take it?
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    You asked for advice but dont seem to want to take it?
    No, he's just offering his thoughts on what he as heard.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Phillips explains and shows thoroughly how to prime a pad. That might be a good video to review. Some like to do it with a quick detail (QD) like product and some (like myself) prefer to use the product I'm working. While it may seem somewhat wasteful, you only do it to a fresh pad the first time you use it. Once it's primed you have the entire face of the pad working for you. Each subsequent panel you move to only gets a few small drops of product.

I have been using that concept for a few years now after seeing Mike visually explain it so well. I have also learned to grab a fresh, clean pad much more often because of the product and abraded paint saturating the pad but it has been the difference for me in cutting, buffing and polishing paint to perfection.

I believe the Meg's UC and UP are Super Micro Abrasive Tech (SMAT) products and, as such, aren't worked as long as Diminishing Abrasives (DAT) products. However, with my experience with Meg's 105 (also a SMAT), I do work it longer than 3 section passes. After priming the pad with 105 (or UC) I will work it for at least 4 passes and many times longer. Sometimes I sprtiz a little distilled water on the section and continue for another 2-4 passes. I do the same thing with Meg's 205 as well.

That's how I work SMAT products. It is different from how I work my favorite DAT products like Menzerna. With DATS I work them until they have fully broken down to their finest particle composition. that generally means a LOT more passes and almost invisible on the section or "flashed".

Mike Phillips preaches the benefits of knowing and using the best abrasive technology. There are differences in the products that we use and getting the most out of each one may involve different techniques.

Post Thanks / Like

No need to fully prime the face of the pad with HD Polish. 5 drops initially is plenty.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the UP to follow up with the UC.

Honda paint is pretty soft isn't it? The white pad with the UC is probably leaving a little compounding haze which the UP will remove and shine up the finish nicely.

On vehicles with soft paint, UP is my go-to product. A white LC Flat Pad and UP does wonders to soft Toyota paint and I've used the UC/UP duo to really revive a long-neglected Subaru as well, which traditionally also has very soft paint.

Agree on all counts the product is really easy to use and has a long working time. I will say that if you're looking at applying a coating, be very sure the panels are totally clean. The oils that make UP so great to work are a little harder to completly remove require a little more attention in the coating prep phase. If the LSP is to be a wax or sealant, standard polish removal process will easily get the surface clean enough for the LSP.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys .

dcjredline: Not rejecting the advice, just saying what I heard others say, that's it's performance was considered 'less' than other polishes in the price range, especially @ $36, just want to make sure before I jump in.

Paul A.: I started out priming the pad with product, then switched to QD as I felt I was still getting the same results, as long as the pad had lubrication, and I only had a limited amount of compound + no money to get more in case I ran out.

Do I prime only new pads ? or gotta prime pads that have been washed / dried too ?

I also only have 2x of each pad, so I try to make the most of the pad but clean more often (brush and MF cloth)

WRAPT C5Z06: I saw some video by 'HD' and he only lightly primed the pad with QD then applied 5x drops ... perhaps my pea size drops were too small and having only 3 was an issue ?

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I agree with the UP to follow up with the UC.

Honda paint is pretty soft isn't it? The white pad with the UC is probably leaving a little compounding haze which the UP will remove and shine up the finish nicely.

On vehicles with soft paint, UP is my go-to product. A white LC Flat Pad and UP does wonders to soft Toyota paint and I've used the UC/UP duo to really revive a long-neglected Subaru as well, which traditionally also has very soft paint.

Agree on all counts the product is really easy to use and has a long working time. I will say that if you're looking at applying a coating, be very sure the panels are totally clean. The oils that make UP so great to work are a little harder to completly remove require a little more attention in the coating prep phase. If the LSP is to be a wax or sealant, standard polish removal process will easily get the surface clean enough for the LSP.
    Thanks Desertnate, much appreciate the info

Yep, the HONDA paints are very soft, but found the even using an Orange LC CCS pad left the panel shiny and not much (if anything) in the way of compound hazing. All my pads are LC CCS too, none of the flat type. Looking on LC website.. appears to be MANY varieties of Foam Pads... quite mind boggling tbh.

I'm going to be applying HD POXY (when the rain stops), though may apply to mums car down the track when I do hers. I don't have a pre-wax / coating type cleanser either, so may have to get something for that?

Thanks again guys, much appreciate any/all feedback

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast