autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Guy getting started and looking for guidance on products

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    Polishers are excluded from the current sale. There are sales without exclusions periodically.
    That's odd, I just saw your message after I checked out and used the code. It gave me 15% off before I even read the fine print. I probably don't need the polisher right away but my arms and shoulders can't take the abuse of hand waxing both cars. My logic was that if I get a machine to help with the process I will be more motivated to wax them more often

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    A Nanoskin mitt will save time because you can clay while you wash the car (remove the dirt first and rinse, then go back over the cleaned areas with the mitt and your soapy water).
    Which Nanoskin mitt would you recommend - Fine grade instead of medium grade? I have been back and forth on just getting a clay bar kit or mitt but I am all for something that is less labor intensive! I am assuming you don't use the mitt on every wash as that means you would probably have to polish and wax each time then too?

Post Thanks / Like

Your care is new still. Use a fine grade mit. Only clay before waxing or polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TShepp View Post
    Which Nanoskin mitt would you recommend - Fine grade instead of medium grade? I have been back and forth on just getting a clay bar kit or mitt but I am all for something that is less labor intensive! I am assuming you don't use the mitt on every wash as that means you would probably have to polish and wax each time then too?
    I have the fine (blue) mitt. It works great, and you shouldn't need anything more aggressive on well kept vehicles. Correct, you only use the mitt when the paint is contaminated. The average vehicle in my experience will need to receive a mechanical decontamination, maybe a light polish, and new application of sealant or durable wax twice yearly. I have used the mitt on vehicles before without noticeable marring and therfore did not polish at all. The need to polish after claying depends on the paint hardness, color, etc, and perhaps how perfect you want the surface to look.

I own clay and I used clay in the past, but I rarely use it now. There are still circumstances where I may need it, but they are few and far between.

Post Thanks / Like

You answered one of the questions before I asked it!! I wasn't sure if I HAD to polish between clay and wax or if I can wash, clay, wax?

As far as just a wash and wax do you do that every couple months?

I feel silly that I've pretty much just run my cars through the auto carwash but really want to get it right now and keep these 2 new vehicles kept in shiny new condition.Since the charger is only 2 weeks old I probably will just wash and wax for now but the Pacifica went through a Midwest winter so it's getting clay for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I went ahead and ordered a Fine Nanoskin Mitt tonight because I think it will save me quite a bit of time and work. Should I use QD with the mitt or just normal shampoo and water from a bucket like a wash mitt?

Also, While reading Mike's "How Getting Started with Your New Car" tutorial he highly recommends Iron X. Is this really needed or do most use this on newer personal vehicles? I know it's a "good to do insurance measure" but damn I'm already spending over $200 with new equipment and products today and don't want to build a detailers stock of stuff when it's just for routine cleaning and maintenance...

Post Thanks / Like

I would get the IronX or similar. I would also recommend the wheel woolies pack of 3. Just got them and they make cleaning wheels much easier in my opinion. You may also want to consider something like CarPro HydrO2 or similar once you've done everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Found this helpful? Please like this post.
    Watch my various detailing videos.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

lol yea it does get expensive.. the nanoskin mitt will save you so much time and energy.
    What about not buying the polishing machine and liquids. Not right now anyway. Just do a complete wash and decontaminate. There's a lot of affordable wax. Don't go high end. Just lay some for protection. Spend the money on 2 bucket wash system with grit guards. Pair of wash mittens and high quality shampoo. One with wax and another shampoo with no wax when you do your complete decon wash prior to polishing/waxing.
    Get lots of microfiber towels. Wheel cleaning - tuff shine tire brush is nice and cheap. Speedmaster or wheel Woolies for the wheels. Tire dressing go with water based. One product I really like is the optimum ONR. So much use for it. Clay lube,window cleaner,detail spray etc..

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I recommend Wheel Woolies for wheel brushes. I have both the Woolies and the large and small EZ Detail (a.k.a. Speedmaster/Daytona) brushes and the thing I don't like with the EZ Detail ones is that they sling product on you as you're using them and those specs of wet brake dust on clothes won't come out in the wash, plus it can get on your face and in your hair. I see some guys sort of stand to the side while using them but then you can't really see what you're doing. I think the Wheel Woolies are even more effective at cleaning because they have more of a solid coverage area instead of rows of brush hairs, but the EZ Detail brushes do clean very well too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ceerokz View Post
    lol yea it does get expensive.. the nanoskin mitt will save you so much time and energy.
    What about not buying the polishing machine and liquids. Not right now anyway. Just do a complete wash and decontaminate. There's a lot of affordable wax. Don't go high end. Just lay some for protection. Spend the money on 2 bucket wash system with grit guards. Pair of wash mittens and high quality shampoo. One with wax and another shampoo with no wax when you do your complete decon wash prior to polishing/waxing.
    Get lots of microfiber towels. Wheel cleaning - tuff shine tire brush is nice and cheap. Speedmaster or wheel Woolies for the wheels. Tire dressing go with water based. One product I really like is the optimum ONR. So much use for it. Clay lube,window cleaner,detail spray etc..
    I already had the Meguiar's Ultimate liquids for free so the purchases I made yesterday were for the PC polisher kit, Mother's wheel brush, Nanoskin Mitt, and X Iron. Outside of the wheel wooliees and a bottle of wheel cleaning spray I think I am set up well, for now...I just really want to get a nice polish and coat of wax on my brand new cars ASAP.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast