autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Guy getting started and looking for guidance on products

There are several variables when it comes to claying. On some paints, you can get away with claying and not having to polish after(harder paints which are less haze/scratch sensitive). On other paints(softer finishes), clay will marr the finish which requires polishing after, unless you don't mind the swirl/hologram look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Guy getting started and looking for guidance on products

Brand new cars.... best time to add coating. I wish I did. Iron X is nasty - stink! Spray the entire car and wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with folks on the GG6 with the 25ft cord. I have the Rigid shop vac with detachable blower. Powerful vac and the blower is good as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I went ahead and got the PC 7424XP bundle with book. I think it should work for my application and budget. Since I will not be doing any severe correction work and just some maintenance polishing and waxing a few times a year I didn't feel the GG unit was necessary for me. A few more questions I had:

Nanoskin Mitt - I know I must break it in on gas very well to avoid marring on my first use. Once broken in, do I use QD for the mitt or just soapy water? I took at look at the paint yesterday and I already have some rail dust/iron spots and the paint isn't the smoothest so I think I will start with a wash, X Iron, Nanoskin Mitt, and then decide if I need to polish or go right to wax. To be honest, I hope I am not going to have to polish since the car is so new and I am lazy

Post Thanks / Like

After washing my car for the first time yesterday (by hand) I discovered TONS of little orange iron spots all over the body so definitely glad I bought Iron X. Now I just have to wait for all the goodies to arrive and make sure I know what I am doing! I also seem to have some pretty hard water here as I ended up with a fair amount of water spots so I am looking to get some ONR to add to the bucket and foam gun while I search for a whole house water softener.

Post Thanks / Like

There ya go TShepp! You're off and running. Once you start doing some of the AG tips and products you see firsthand how you can up the game of new car care. I agree with keeping it simple for now and you'll have time to refine some of the finer things. You'll see a huge difference in how you used to do it.

Oh, and no more tunnel washes!

Post Thanks / Like

With the right pads/compound the PC will do a lot more than you think. I've used mine about a dozen times applying AIO, sealant and doing a couple full corrections. You'll be very happy with it!

One thing to make mention of, is buy as many pads as your budget will allow. Clean pads work much better.

You'll be blown away the first time you use Iron-X. You'd think it's a new car, it should be clean, but the amount of rail dust and fallout it got from the factory, shipping, and sitting in various lots over its first few months is pretty staggering.

On the plus side, most of the goods you're buying will last a very long time. It's the initial purchase that stings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    With the right pads/compound the PC will do a lot more than you think. I've used mine about a dozen times applying AIO, sealant and doing a couple full corrections. You'll be very happy with it!

One thing to make mention of, is buy as many pads as your budget will allow. Clean pads work much better.

You'll be blown away the first time you use Iron-X. You'd think it's a new car, it should be clean, but the amount of rail dust and fallout it got from the factory, shipping, and sitting in various lots over its first few months is pretty staggering.

On the plus side, most of the goods you're buying will last a very long time. It's the initial purchase that stings.
    The value kit I bought comes with 1 each orange, white, blue pad plus 2 red soft wax pads. For polishing and waxing my Charger should I get another white polishing pad? I've got more Meg's products than I know what to do with (in pics) and wanna make sure I get the right equipment for my first stab at this.

New Guy getting started and looking for guidance on products-15271610_10154126318883061_418900778_o-jpg
    New Guy getting started and looking for guidance on products-15271622_10154126319003061_1849090344_o-jpg
    New Guy getting started and looking for guidance on products-15293345_10154126318963061_423514492_o-jpg
    New Guy getting started and looking for guidance on products-15292842_10154126319028061_1676272353_o-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have advice/info on using the Nanoskin mitt? Not sure if I need to use QD as a lubricant or soapy water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TShepp View Post
    Does anyone have advice/info on using the Nanoskin mitt? Not sure if I need to use QD as a lubricant or soapy water.
    Anyone help? I am thinking about tackling the project this weekend if I have half a day to set aside with wash, nanoskin, polish, wax....I really want to get the imperfections and iron spots out of the paint ASAP.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast