autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Swirls on RV gelcoat--Britemax hard to remove

I have a problem with the Britemax Perfect Prep Fine Polish. I am using it with a white hybrid foam pad, when I put it on and machine it making several passes I have a hard time wiping it off. I use a microfiber cloth but it is so hard to wipe it seems like it is sticky and never comes off. I clean the pad often but this happened right from the start. What am I doing wrong? Should I be using something different, pads, compound, polish? I attached a picture to show the swirls I'm trying to get rid of.
    Swirls on RV gelcoat--Britemax hard to remove-rv-swirl-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Swirls on RV gelcoat--Britemax hard to remove

Sorry, never used Britemax, but you can't go wrong with Menzerna 400.

Mike Phillips

I have not used the Britemax compounds or polishes so I don't have any experience with them.

It's hard to see the swirls but from your other thread... here's a question...

Did you do the first step using a rotary buffer?

If so then technically you're not trying remove swirls but instead you're trying to remove holograms. As long as you keep using a rotary buffer you're going to have hologram issues. The only way to avoid them is to use a super soft foam pad and an ultra fine finishing polish and cross your fingers.

If you want to make this super easy get any dual action polisher, the Griot's Garage 6" would be a low cost quality DA polisher. And then get some of this,

SONAX EX 04-06 1000 ml.

It's $50.00 for 1000ml which is around a quart and you're going to need this much to re-do the RV.

One thing I try to tell guys is never skimp when it comes to abrasive technology.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Sorry, never used Britemax, but you can't go wrong with Menzerna 400.

That's another good option and with FG400 you could cut with a rotary buffer and then finish out hologram free using the same product but switching to any dual action orbital polisher.

I've buffed out more RVs than I want to remember and seriously... it's worth it to do it right the first time.

CutMax from SONAX is like FG400. It cuts like a compound and finishes like a polish. Can be used with rotary or dual action and wipe off is easy. Both use great abrasive technology.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I first used a rotary but now I have the flex 3401. So I'm going to get the Sonax but what pads do you recommend?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Roryq View Post

Yes I first used a rotary but now I have the flex 3401.

So I'm going to get the Sonax but what pads do you recommend?

Good idea getting the FLEX 3401 for a monster job like this...

Get the SONAX I recommended and then get some 6.5" Orange Hybrid Foam Pads. For something this large I'd get 6 pads. You'll get much faster cutting and polishing by being able to switch over to a fresh dry pad versus punishing the pads and trying to limp around the RV with one or two wet soggy pads. Been there done that decades ago...

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish 6.5 Inch Pads 6 Pack

Gel-coats don't like soft mushy foam pads for any product that is abrasive. Soft foam pad work good for machine applying a non-cleaning finishing wax but that's about it.

I cover this in my boat detailing book.

Can't wait to see her all done...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Swirls on RV gelcoat--Britemax hard to remove

Hi Mike,
    Many thanks to you and AutoGeek. My results are great, my RV looks brand new after using Menzerna 400. This is the best product I have used. Had the new decals install and I am one happy camper. Take a look:
    Swirls on RV gelcoat--Britemax hard to remove-fullsizerender-jpgSwirls on RV gelcoat--Britemax hard to remove-fullsizerender3-jpgSwirls on RV gelcoat--Britemax hard to remove-fullsizerender5-jpg

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Roryq View Post

Hi Mike,

Many thanks to you and AutoGeek.

My results are great, my RV looks brand new after using Menzerna 400. This is the best product I have used.

Had the new decals install and I am one happy camper.

Good to hear Rory!

Here's your pictures, I uploaded them to your gallery so they could be inserted and you're right, she looks brand new!