autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Picking up a "new" used car - How to start removing all the previous "detailing"?

Hey all,

Picking up my new car from the dealership this coming week, and knowing the dealership they give it a "Full detail" - So i am sure to have lots of werid products all over my interior and exterior.

What will be the best products to use to get me back to nothing on the interior? When I drove the vehicle it definitely had some form of silicone spray or similar everywhere. I would prefer to remove what ever it is with the least agression possible and apply my favorite 303.

The outside should be simple enough, dish washing liquid , compound, polish and wax. Though I have never done a black car with my DA before so I suspect I am going to be in for a treat.

This car will be my daily and its a 2009 Forester XT Premium with a 5 speed

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Picking up a "new" used car - How to start removing all the previous "detailing"?

First off, congrats on the new (to you) ride!

As for the greasy-kid-stuff on the interior, you might want to try a mild APC (All-Purpose-Cleaner) & a couple of microfiber cloths to get the gunk off & clean the plastic & vinyl.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Picking up a "new" used car - How to start removing all the previous "detailing"?

Funny thing - I have never actually used a APC :\

There are a few simple green products that are readily available from my local hardware store, but I feel they might be too harsh.

Not sure what ones are available local me down under (Australia)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Booki View Post
    Funny thing - I have never actually used a APC :\

There are a few simple green products that are readily available from my local hardware store, but I feel they might be too harsh.

Not sure what ones are available local me down under (Australia)

Many of these APCs (such as Simple Green) are water based and can be diluted. At least that's what the instructions say on them here in the 'States. Try it 2:1 (2 parts water to 1 part SG) or even 3:1 and see how that works.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

1) Tell them not to detail or wash it in any way otherwise you won't take the vehicle.

2) Don't use dishwashing liquid, it's made for dirty dishes, not cars.

3) Start with a microfiber towel dampened with water on the interior. You would be surprised what water and microfiber can accomplish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Picking up a "new" used car - How to start removing all the previous "detailing"?

I just bought a new vehicle and they said the manufacturer requires they wash it before delivery. I wasn't going to argue, as I'm only a pompous know-it-all on this forum, in person I'm pretty agreeable... I figured I would likely be doing correction anyway, and if they jacked it up that bad from a simple wash - I simply would refuse the vehicle.

But anyway, one thing I was firm on was NO TIRE SHINE or the like on ANYTHING. That dealer tire slime takes major work to remove. And, I know no manufacturer requires they put tire slime on before they deliver a vehicle.

To get that stuff off the interior I would use an APC that is listed safe for leather and a leather brush. I like the APC from Sonüs & the brush from Swissvax. AGO sells a similar brush for leather. If it's safe for leather - that means it's usually safe for vinyl & plastic as well.

Mike Phillips

Hey all,

Picking up my new car from the dealership this coming week, and knowing the dealership they give it a "Full detail" - So i am sure to have lots of werid products all over my interior and exterior.

Too late for this article...

DON'T WASH CAR! by Mike Phillips

But in the future, read the article, look at the pictures and follow the advice or you'll get this...

2014 BMW 535i - Removing Dealership Holograms, Swirls and Scratches

What will be the best products to use to get me back to nothing on the interior? When I drove the vehicle it definitely had some form of silicone spray or similar everywhere. I would prefer to remove what ever it is with the least agression possible and apply my favorite 303.
    Use the complimentary 303 vinyl cleaner. For removing previously applied stubborn dressings use the 303 vinyl cleaner two maybe three times.

The outside should be simple enough, dish washing liquid , compound, polish and wax. Though I have never done a black car with my DA before so I suspect I am going to be in for a treat.

You might not need to go right to a compound, perhaps test a medium cut polish first. Whatever you do, use quality compounds and polishes, especially on black paint.

This video shows IN-DEPTH how to test the least aggressive approach for correcting paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, I will have to post up some before and after shots as this thing is pretty swirled up!

Thank you Mike, I appreciate you sharing your wealth of knowledge

Post Thanks / Like

Hey all,

just tell them you want it as is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Too late for this article...

DON'T WASH CAR! by Mike Phillips

But in the future, read the article, look at the pictures and follow the advice or you'll get this...

2014 BMW 535i - Removing Dealership Holograms, Swirls and Scratches

Use the complimentary 303 vinyl cleaner. For removing previously applied stubborn dressings use the 303 vinyl cleaner two maybe three times.

You might not need to go right to a compound, perhaps test a medium cut polish first. Whatever you do, use quality compounds and polishes, especially on black paint.

This video shows IN-DEPTH how to test the least aggressive approach for correcting paint.

Yes I read this article a while back right before my car went in for service, I called the guy the next day and told them "for god sake man, whatever you do, DO NOT wash my car or even touch the paint with anything"

the guy said they don't wash cars anymore, I figure that's because to many people complained

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast