autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight resto supplies

Havent tried yet but have done many more cars than Camrys that is just the most common I do. Never done a BMW yet.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Havent tried yet but have done many more cars than Camrys that is just the most common I do. Never done a BMW yet.
    In a perfect world there would be somekind of resource on the internet which listed the hardness or ease of restoration for all makes & models. Even if it was memeber supported it would work. It would just require alot of people to chime in and add useful information and tips based on their experience. But that's a far out thought, I know. Nobody cares that much about headlights. Not even us. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detailsbydaniel View Post
    I am having trouble locating the sanding disc for a non professional quantity. The boxes come with a bunch of disc and cost 30-50 bucks per grit. I can get a new set of complete lights for 150 lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Detailsbydaniel View Post
    I don't plan on any volume just mine and some co workers for the time. I don't mind investing in quality supplies but it adds up just for some headlights to be done faster vs my traditional hand sand lol. I placed a decent order tonight so we shall see what happens soon enough I guess
    I see you already ordered, but Kevin Brown used to sell discs individually, so you can figure out what works best before buying a whole box here at Autogeek.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys!

I thought I'd share what I've done with some headlights. These images are before, 1500, 2000, 3000, compound (Sonax Cutmax), polish (Sonax 04-06) and sealant (Wolfgang plastik sealer).

Headlight resto supplies-img_0807-jpg
    Headlight resto supplies-img_0809-jpg
    Headlight resto supplies-img_0810-jpg
    Headlight resto supplies-img_0811-jpg
    Headlight resto supplies-img_0812-jpg
    Headlight resto supplies-img_0814-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I have a little (But, not a lot) of experience with headlights. Some thoughts:

1) The expensive discs are the finer ones. I would (and did) buy the courser ones in bulk. Get the 1500, 2000, and 3000 in paper and hand sand. Or, check with your local auto body paint store about buying smaller quantities. Or... use a wool pad with compound and skip the finer grits.

2) Mckee's polish is great for the headlight's it works on.

3) Just a thought here: try using Flitz. I've used it a little on headlights. But, not enough to make a meaningful statement beyond: It's really good stuff and works great on plastic (Go to the product page and watch the video Mike made with their rep.) I would (and plan too) play around with it on different headlights to see if I can fit it in to my technique.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12