autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice needed - Equipment for Auto Detailing

Good Afternoon,

First off forgive me if I posted to the wrong Forum as I'm new here. I'm looking for some advice with regard to purchasing equipment to start off auto detailing on the weekends as a sideline. I'm working with a limited budget, as I need to cater for shipping as well as import duties etc.... I'm looking at spending around $200 USD so I want to make sure I buy smart. Currently I'm just looking for the basics to get me started, and I can always purchase additional items as I go along. So far, I've got the following in my amazon cart:

1. Porter Cable 7424XP (Does not come with counterweight or wrench)
    2. Chemical Guys 6.5in Buffing Pad Kit (7 Pads and a bottle of Pad Cleaner)
    3. Astro 6 inch Backing Plate
    4. Mother's Carpet and Upholstery Brush
    5. Mother's Detail Brush Set (2 Pack)

These items come up to $205.

I've already got a wet/dry vac which I plan on upgrading at a later date, but that should work for now. I'll buy the Microfibre towels, Carwash soap, compound, polish and wax/sealant locally.

Anything I left out that would be necessary in the start up stages? Does the combination of stuff I'm buying from Amazon make sense? Or should I change anything?

Also, what compound/polish/wax would you recommend to start out with?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice needed - Equipment for Auto Detailing

This is my first reply to a post so bear with me as well. There are lots of other posts that probably answer this question a lot better than myself but here goes:

1. It's subjective to some degree but find a product that works well for you and what you are trying to do. You can spend the rest of your time on the planet reading and analyzing and buying and trying things so find something and go with it for a few.
    2. I find that 5" or 5.5" pads work better for me. A little more control. Again, try pads and find some you like. I've used Chemical Guys Hex Logic, Meguiars, and Lake Country, CCS and ThinPro. Lake Country seems to be my favorite so far.
    3. 2 Buckets. Man, the 2 bucket system I wish I knew about when I was a teen. What work that would've saved me. So use to buckets and a grit guard.

Otherwise, sounds pretty good. Maybe some sort of APC or DG would help. Maybe a tire/wheel brush to go along with that.

Hope that helps and again, there's A LOT of smart folks here that know A LOT about this crazy world of auto detailing. Look around and read what some of them have to say.

Post Thanks / Like

2 bucket wash,clay,wax, wheels and tires cleaned and dressed. Door jams(waxed as well),vacuume, and windows cleaned. Oh and the fuel tank compartment cleaned. You can order them as kits as well.
    You gonna need a bunch of micro fiber towels.

include light polishing as a add on and when you are comfortable doing it.
    Engine wash/dressing and headlight restoration would be a great add on as well.

Post Thanks / Like

ditch the pads, you need to go with 5" bp and 5.5" pads or yu'll bog down the pc
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

If I was doing it I would get...a GG6. More powerful than the pc, and a lifetime warranty. Call Autogeek and see if they will set you up with 5" backing plate instead of the 6", and a bunch of 5.5" boss pads.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goonie75 View Post
    This is my first reply to a post so bear with me as well. There are lots of other posts that probably answer this question a lot better than myself but here goes:

1. It's subjective to some degree but find a product that works well for you and what you are trying to do. You can spend the rest of your time on the planet reading and analyzing and buying and trying things so find something and go with it for a few.
    2. I find that 5" or 5.5" pads work better for me. A little more control. Again, try pads and find some you like. I've used Chemical Guys Hex Logic, Meguiars, and Lake Country, CCS and ThinPro. Lake Country seems to be my favorite so far.
    3. 2 Buckets. Man, the 2 bucket system I wish I knew about when I was a teen. What work that would've saved me. So use to buckets and a grit guard.

Otherwise, sounds pretty good. Maybe some sort of APC or DG would help. Maybe a tire/wheel brush to go along with that.

Hope that helps and again, there's A LOT of smart folks here that know A LOT about this crazy world of auto detailing. Look around and read what some of them have to say.

Thanks for the input, question though, would I need to change the counterweight on the PC to use the 5" bc and 5.5" pads? Because I'd prefer to use this setup, but I went with the 6" seeing as that's what it comes with already.

I've been seeing that 2 bucket wash being mentioned, I'll look into it, to me the way I was is pretty fast enough, rinse with a hose, soap entire vehicle and rinse off soap, doesn't really take me that much time.

I also have Degreaser on my list of stuff to buy locally. Question though, would it be safe or advisable to use the Degreaser to clean the interior? Maybe if I dilute it with water? This is at least until I can get some APC, wouldn't bother to buy any right now unless I need it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coopers ST View Post
    If I was doing it I would get...a GG6. More powerful than the pc, and a lifetime warranty. Call Autogeek and see if they will set you up with 5" backing plate instead of the 6", and a bunch of 5.5" boss pads.
    Thanks, I was checking out the GG6 as well, and the only advantage seemed to be the power and I don't really like the design of it, so I decided to go with the PC mainly which I haven't really seen any bad reviews on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike93 View Post
    Thanks for the input, question though, would I need to change the counterweight on the PC to use the 5" bc and 5.5" pads? Because I'd prefer to use this setup, but I went with the 6" seeing as that's what it comes with already.

I've been seeing that 2 bucket wash being mentioned, I'll look into it, to me the way I was is pretty fast enough, rinse with a hose, soap entire vehicle and rinse off soap, doesn't really take me that much time.

I also have Degreaser on my list of stuff to buy locally. Question though, would it be safe or advisable to use the Degreaser to clean the interior? Maybe if I dilute it with water? This is at least until I can get some APC, wouldn't bother to buy any right now unless I need it.

No. No need to change weights. Just plate. Others may know more about this specific items. As for the 2 bucket method it's good for reducing scratches you may reintroduce by washing. Breaking car up into pieces can help with this too. I wouldn't use a dg for interior really. IMHO. I stick to apo diluted or interior specific product likes ones found here on AGO.

Again there are others that are very wise here and there are lots to read if you get the chance.

Peace

Post Thanks / Like

How did you end up with a PC without a wrench? If they are new they come with the wrench.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike93 View Post
    Good Afternoon,

First off forgive me if I posted to the wrong Forum as I'm new here. I'm looking for some advice with regard to purchasing equipment to start off auto detailing on the weekends as a sideline. I'm working with a limited budget, as I need to cater for shipping as well as import duties etc.... I'm looking at spending around $200 USD so I want to make sure I buy smart. Currently I'm just looking for the basics to get me started, and I can always purchase additional items as I go along. So far, I've got the following in my amazon cart:

1. Porter Cable 7424XP (Does not come with counterweight or wrench)
    2. Chemical Guys 6.5in Buffing Pad Kit (7 Pads and a bottle of Pad Cleaner)
    3. Astro 6 inch Backing Plate
    4. Mother's Carpet and Upholstery Brush
    5. Mother's Detail Brush Set (2 Pack)

These items come up to $205.

I've already got a wet/dry vac which I plan on upgrading at a later date, but that should work for now. I'll buy the Microfibre towels, Carwash soap, compound, polish and wax/sealant locally.

Anything I left out that would be necessary in the start up stages? Does the combination of stuff I'm buying from Amazon make sense? Or should I change anything?

Also, what compound/polish/wax would you recommend to start out with?
    Chemical guys can accommodate your budget. As far as polishes stick with a all in one or d151 and fg 400.200 is really hard to put a plan together good luck on your new adventure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast