autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got a little anxiety going on here lol need advice for possible first paying job.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Ugh I hate when people with Tahoes or Suburbans ask for a detail... I always wind up feeling like I'm on the short end of the stick because most people can't handle the truth when it comes to what I should actually charge to detail a vehicle that large.

Yesterday while I was doing a mobile detail, I had some guy come ask me how much I would charge for a detail.. I asked what kind of vehicle it was.. He said it was his wifes mini van.. I immediately thought to myself "oh heck no, not again" lol.

I'm done breaking my back on super dirty family wagons for fair prices... I told him "mini van? Those things usually cost alot more to do because of the size and their usual condition" He got the hint. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So VERY true!!! Large SUV's, large pickups and "family wagons" (aka MiniVans) are not only the largest vehicles, but are more times than not in the worst conditions (e.g. Gummy Bears melted into the carpet from 2 years ago) and more swirls than should be legal.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got a little anxiety going on here lol need advice for possible first paying job.

They can get that at the local hand car wash for $29 and be back home within an hour....

Then that's not a customer worth having. They can take it to the car wash...
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Got a little anxiety going on here lol need advice for possible first paying job.

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post
    so what would you suggest on that? Do more .. charge less .. or both? But then again .. I doubt the local car wash it going to be sure to get every part of the panel and dash and all the crevices too.
    IMO for that price and the services he listed, it sounds like a car wash, not a "full detail"
    For example, If it's a "full detail":
    -How are you going to wax without claying?
    -Clay exterior windows
    -If the headlights are hazy, do a quik light restoration [via polisher w/compound]
    -Wheel Wells
    -Don't just vacuum seats & carpet. Clean them.
    -Don't just do a quik wipedown of interior panels.. Instead get into every nook & cranny with APC and a detail brush.
    -Clean & dress weatherstripping
    -restore or at least dress exterior trim
    -Fog interior to freshen air and eliminate odors.
    -Some people even clean under the hood

~ Then you can begin to call it a "full detail" and charge even more than $175, but at least the customer doesn't feel fleeced afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

I attract th3 mini-vans that aren't only destroyed by kids but also have 30lbs of dog hair embedded into every fiber of the carpet. I just now refuse vehicles with excessive dog hair, this is still a hobby for me that I sometimes extend out my services on facebook buy/sell/trade sites.

Post Thanks / Like

Well update ... on the SUV .. ended up being a suburban and not a Tahoe. A completely wrapped Suburban at that. I first said that I would include the foam cannon .. two bucket wash ... air dry...clean the rims, inner rim, wheel wells, dress tires, wheel wells, clean door jams, clean gas lid area, clean glass inside and out, and put a wax or sealant on it (depending what is best for the wrap) for 200 and then trim restore for 50 more. I figured 200 mainly due to having to wax that big ass thing more than likely by hand ... i dont think I like doing it by machine as of now.

They then said that the company they work for does it for 65. No idea what all they actually do or how well they do it.

I thought about it for awhile and said I would do all that I listed for 125 since there was not going to be any paint correction at all .. and I kinda know the people (girlfriends, friends sister and husband)

They still said that was too high and I was like Im not doing that suburban.

I am not sure if my fist offer was too high .. I think the second one might have been a bit low .. but again no paint correction and no interior work done.

any thoughts??

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should be happy you're not doing it. $65 is way too low...

Post Thanks / Like

Got a little anxiety going on here lol need advice for possible first paying job.

Also, you pretty much never want to "wax" without claying unless for some rare reason the paint's already smooth... Removing wax from paint that needs claying is cringe worthy and will make you feel like you half arsed it.

I recommend this clay towel. It works like a champ and really speeds things up. Get yourself some Mckee's N-914 to use as claylube @1:128 and use plenty of it when using this towel and it will work flawlessly.

http://www.autogeek.net/autoscrub-handy-towel.html

Post Thanks / Like

Also, you pretty much never want to "wax" without claying unless for some rare reason the paint's already smooth... Removing wax from paint that needs claying is cringe worthy and will make you feel like you half arsed it.

I recommend this clay towel. It works like a champ and really speeds things up. Get yourself some Mckee's N-914 to use as claylube @1:128 and use plenty of it when using this towel and it will work flawlessly.

Nanoskin Autoscrub Handy Towel

I will look into that .. I have a clay bar .. I also have that autoscrub thing .. not sure how well I like it. But that particular car was wrapped. Dont think clay would be a good idea on that?

also ..do you know what is a good protection for a wrapped car .. like wax or a sealant?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post
    I will look into that .. I have a clay bar .. I also have that autoscrub thing .. not sure how well I like it. But that particular car was wrapped. Dont think clay would be a good idea on that?

also ..do you know what is a good protection for a wrapped car .. like wax or a sealant?
    I know nothing about wrapped cars... I was going to ask exactly what you meant by wrapped.. I mean I guess I know what it is, but if it was me I wouldn't touch it. Especially for those prices.

Which exact product is "autoscrub"?

Post Thanks / Like

I know nothing about wrapped cars... I was going to ask exactly what you meant by wrapped.. I mean I guess I know what it is, but if it was me I wouldn't touch it. Especially for those prices.

Which exact product is "autoscrub"?

guess it has some clear plastic/vinyl protective film all over it.

the autoscrub is by nanoskin ... its a 6 inch synthetic clay disc that goes on an orbital.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast