autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ok I am about to buy a Rupes and I really need to know for sure ..

Dude..get a Flex 3401.

I just bought a Rupes Mark I I 15, and while I like it, as others have said, it requires a nice learning curve to understand it. I did my wife's Infiniti q50 yesterday. I tried my rupes to correct some water spots on the paint. It started stalling out when I got to the contour on the hood.

I pulled out my Flex, and powered right thru those water spots in about 20 minutes. Then I went back to my rupes for final polishing and wax application.

I can live without my rupes 15.

I'd be lost without my Flex 3401.

I'm happy that I have both. If you MUST have a Rupes, get the 21.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post
    I will look at that video .. if I havent seen it before. Yes I agree with the more research .. but really at this point I dont really know how much more research I can do. I think I have about exhausted youtube and google on the subject. Seriously every single day its youtube videos .. goodle searches .. and here for detailing info on different things for about the past 2 months. I have also been on a pretty big buying spree in the time frame as well. But as for the research part .. thats also why I am here and am looking for people who are familiar with both machines that could tell me if the mark II 15 really does stall easier than the MarkII 21 even with the same power.
    to be honest I'd get the 15 but that's just me. Looking things up on Google in my opinion is not research

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Levithan9 View Post
    Dude..get a Flex 3401.

I just bought a Rupes Mark I I 15, and while I like it, as others have said, it requires a nice learning curve to understand it. I did my wife's Infiniti q50 yesterday. I tried my rupes to correct some water spots on the paint. It started stalling out when I got to the contour on the hood.

I pulled out my Flex, and powered right thru those water spots in about 20 minutes. Then I went back to my rupes for final polishing and wax application.

I can live without my rupes 15.

I'd be lost without my Flex 3401.

I'm happy that I have both. If you MUST have a Rupes, get the 21.

Especially if you're accustomed to the forced rotation of the 3401, it can take a minute before you're going to have the orbital dancing on the paint, doing it's magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply .. thats so weird that the 15 stalls easier than the 21 even with the same 30% increase in power. I havent heard of the sanding mod. With that did it match the power of the 21 with the stalling? or is it still short?

do you ever use the 7 inch pads on the Rupes 21 and or the 5 inch pads on the 21?
    Sanding mod means you sand down the rubber shroud sonypu dont need a washer anymore. Apparently my washer was not 100% flat and it gave me problems. 21 is still stronger, i think it is mostly because of momentun and leverage. Both ate grat machines and correction monstets especisially in the right hands but if you allready have pc, then get the 21. I use both 5" and 6" bp on my 21, but mostly 6" and use 15 with 5# bp. 21 with 5" however works great and is the most agressive long throw combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    what other polishers do you have?
    Right now I only have the porter cable .. I got it about 3 months ago. Now I am wanting to do this for money on bigger jobs I am looking for something much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I'm confused a bit. The 15 and 21 correct faster, but you've not tried them out yet?

Or this is what you've read?

Not calling you out, just trying to clarify.

I just see concerns over power and stalling. I know that the 3401 has power in spades, and will never stall.

The long stroke tools have a bit of a learning curve that sometimes frustrates people new to using them. Even I had issues my first go round with my Duetto! I almost sold that thing at least a half dozen times..... But I finally got the hang of it after some dedicated time using it. That never happened with the 3401. With the 3401 I put the pad on, and started working immediately.

Anyway, just a consideration based of observing your concerns.
    its what I have been reading and youtube videos. Alot of raeding and youtube videos.

Thats another thing .. people say learning curve .. what is so hard about these machines?

Post Thanks / Like

its what I have been reading and youtube videos. Alot of raeding and youtube videos.

Thats another thing .. people say learning curve .. what is so hard about these machines?
    Ah, I get it. Totally understand

Either way, it's a lot of money to put down in a polisher. You are doing right by finding out as much as possible about the tools like you're currently doing.

Well, the learning curve for me was learning the system, and keeping the pad rotating on irregular panel shapes. Even as a light pressure guy, it took time to really get the hang of it. The first time I cleaned my Rupes I cleaned the lubricating grease off the shroud and plate, which killed rotation, and ended up shredding my rubber shroud, which I replaced, and now keep lubed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Ah, I get it. Totally understand

Either way, it's a lot of money to put down in a polisher. You are doing right by finding out as much as possible about the tools like you're currently doing.

Well, the learning curve for me was learning the system, and keeping the pad rotating on irregular panel shapes. Even as a light pressure guy, it took time to really get the hang of it. The first time I cleaned my Rupes I cleaned the lubricating grease off the shroud and plate, which killed rotation, and ended up shredding my rubber shroud, which I replaced, and now keep lubed.
    Washer mode, sanding shroud, lubricating shroud ?????

Which gives the MKII the best performance ???

THANKS !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrken1 View Post
    Washer mode, sanding shroud, lubricating shroud ?????

Which gives the MKII the best performance ???

THANKS !!!!
    I guess it's what you want to get out of the tool. I personally tend to use them as they were intended by Rupes, with the shroud in contact with the plate.

It's very common for people to use the washer mod. I have a washer, but typically don't use it.

I only own the Duetto, and Mini (which doesn't have anti-spin), so I can't speak on the MKII models.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I am in the same ballpark as Rmark I have an old g100 which as of today I have in the shop it needs a new cord. plus, seeing that I had in for over 10 years I decided to have the bushes replaced because I plan on keeping it for 3 inch work. I have an old Milwaukee rotary as well.

I thought about the 15 mark 2 but, the new flex pc makes me wonder if that would be as good or better than the rupes. And I have to be honest hearing about the sanding mod the washer mod just makes me wonder if the manufacturer has this thing dialed in.

The hear good things about the 3401 but, if you have a rotary do you really need one?

I just might end up with the duetto since it at least looks like a PC if you know what I mean. Oh and last but, not least I never tried any them out.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast