autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: Which product provided the best beading throughout the testing period?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Product A

11 31.43%
  • Product B

10 28.57%
  • Product C

6 17.14%
  • They were all roughly equivalent

8 22.86%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Silica Spray Showdown: McKee's v. Gyeon v. CarPro

Question, with these kinds of products is it necessary to first strip off any wax or sealant that is currently on the car? I could definitely see myself using one of these as a maintenance product between sealant applications (meg's ULW or Wolfgang for instance) but if it can only be used as a standalone or on top of a coating (which I don't have) then I think it would really only be useful on my wheels. Even then, its almost as easy to do a quick spray and wipe with D156.

Post Thanks / Like

You can apply it over a waxed or sealed surface, but personally I think it would be a waste of product.

All these products either state directly or imply that the surface should be freshly clayed, polished and prepped. Having a wax or sealant on top of the car would basically interfere with the bonding of the silica sprays.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Do not use these products unless you are spraying onto clean paint (or clean wheels). 75% of the complaints of streaking are because the paint is contaminated with something that does not allow the coating to bond. The other 25% is spraying on the whole car with the silica spray before rinsing with a strong stream of water. Spray on a panel then rinse off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    You can apply it over a waxed or sealed surface, but personally I think it would be a waste of product.

All these products either state directly or imply that the surface should be freshly clayed, polished and prepped. Having a wax or sealant on top of the car would basically interfere with the bonding of the silica sprays.
    I dont' think it's a waste at all. All LSPs both traditional and the nano coatings have a life expectancy. If something like the Silica Sprays can supply a layer of protection on their own then one could infer that using it on top of an LSP would only increase the longevity of said LSP. Then when you factor in the ease of use of these sprays, why wouldn't you use it on top of an LSP every few months?

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, but the chemistry is different when you layer silica based coatings on top of silica based coatings when compared to the layering of a silica coating on top of a hydrocarbon.

Heck, that's just theoretical. We have no practical way of knowing if that has even any significant benefit either way.

(Sent via my mobile device...)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, but the chemistry is different when you layer silica based coatings on top of silica based coatings when compared to the layering of a silica coating on top of a hydrocarbon.

Heck, that's just theoretical. We have no practical way of knowing if that has even any significant benefit either way.

And theoretically speaking these spray SiO2 coatings are not the same as the traditional SiO2 coatings or they would have the same longevity. Therefore knowing the spray SiO2 coatings have a much shorter life span we know they are different and knowing if they are beneficial to any LSP will only come with trials. As with everything in detailing each person's mileage will vary due to the vary different nature of all our abilities, interpretation of prepped surface, and method of application. Detailing is as much art as science and trials like the one you've conducted here are great for seeing what products can do.

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone could chime in about how these products perform over a LSP that would be great. I'd be totally fine if it didn't last as long because even if I don't get the full 3 months protection it seems like it would be even easier to use than something like D156 which doesn't last 3 months anyways. If it turns out that you can't put it over a sealant then I don't see much benefit unless you only plan to use it on wheels or you are a high volume detailer. There as better standalone LSPs than any of these 3 products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 986DTM View Post
    If it turns out that you can't put it over a sealant then I don't see much benefit unless you only plan to use it on wheels or you are a high volume detailer. There as better standalone LSPs than any of these 3 products.
    You can use them on top of an existing LSP. The question you ask is probably unanswerable. You'd have to do a side-by-side comparison of a panel coated with a wax (let's say) and a panel with the same wax and topped with the coating. Obviously the panel that lasted longer was enhanced by the application of the silica coating (assuming the silica spray doesn't deteriorate the wax). Visually speaking, if the silica coating wears out, the underlying wax (or LSP) will still bead and sheet, albeit subjectively differently perhaps. But this won't occur in any fashion that makes it obvious to you when the silica spray has "failed."

Bottom line: the manufacturers state or imply that these silica sprays work better if you apply it to a freshly polished and prepped surface. If you apply them to a surface that has been waxed, sealed or coated, you risk the silica spray failing to bond and shedding prematurely.

And that, in my opinion, makes it a waste to apply to a waxed or sealed surface. If you're bored and have money to burn, then have fun spraying away.

If none of the manufacturers will give any claims about their ability to bond to a wax or sealant or prolong the life of an underlying wax, sealant or coating, then I say, "Show me the data!"

There are better LSP than these silica sprays. Tons of them; you just don't spray them on your car (well, maybe excepting PA and Can Coat).

Post Thanks / Like

If none of the manufacturers will give any claims about their ability to bond to a wax or sealant or prolong the life of an underlying wax, sealant or coating, then I say, "Show me the data!"
    Well according to Autogeeks description page of Gyeon Wet Coat it states:

GYEON WetCoat is perfect for increasing gloss and longevity on vehicles previously treated with an SiO2 coating...

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. How much longer does it afford protection, and how much more gloss does it add?

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast