autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: China Pads VS the Rest

all these quality thin pads are available in different sizes ranging from 3" up to 6.5" which work really well with traditional pc-style DA's (also can be used on other polishers too). when you buy them here at AG, you not only support them but also the good people who work at these great companies which also provide customer service to back them up...

Griots Garage 5.5 Inch BOSS Foam and Microfiber Pads

Buff and Shine 5.5 Inch Flat Foam Pads

Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad System

Meguiars 5 Inch DA Foam Discs

Post Thanks / Like

The way to save money on pads is to buy high quality, well performing pads, and look after them. Buy enough pads up front that you aren't overusing the pads (i.e. change them often, and have enough of each type on hand to allow you to do what you need to get done),don't over heat the pads, and clean them as soon as possible. Pads will last a long time that way. Over time, the cost difference between high quality pads and the el-cheapos won't be much of a consideration, and the high quality pads will most likely have given you much better results.

Another way to look at this is the exact opposite: what are the consequences of a pad failing? It doesn't matter if the car is yours or not, if a pad fails, it can be anywhere from having to redo a section to needing to repaint a panel. This is not to say that the high quality pads don't fail, because if you have spent any time on this board, you know that they do occasionally. However, the failure rate of the high quality pads is far, far lower than the el-Cheapos. Is it really worth that risk to save $3-5 per pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkritsilas View Post
    The way to save money on pads is to buy high quality, well performing pads, and look after them. Buy enough pads up front that you aren't overusing the pads (i.e. change them often, and have enough of each type on hand to allow you to do what you need to get done),don't over heat the pads, and clean them as soon as possible. Pads will last a long time that way. Over time, the cost difference between high quality pads and the el-cheapos won't be much of a consideration, and the high quality pads will most likely have given you much better results.

Another way to look at this is the exact opposite: what are the consequences of a pad failing? It doesn't matter if the car is yours or not, if a pad fails, it can be anywhere from having to redo a section to needing to repaint a panel. This is not to say that the high quality pads don't fail, because if you have spent any time on this board, you know that they do occasionally. However, the failure rate of the high quality pads is far, far lower than the el-Cheapos. Is it really worth that risk to save $3-5 per pad?
    Very good point, but also look at the purpose, in my case I buy the china pads because I'm going to destroy it on purpose. It will be sprayed with an acid that will eat away at the backing glue and degrade the center of the pad. I don't want that to happen to my good pads so I buy the china ones in bulk to save me money in that way.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Chinese made pads are often higher-quality than far more complex things like Chinese-made tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the China pads for projects that do this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a way around that is to use any older, less than perfect pads that you already have with the acid, and order new pads for use with paint. This is of course, very dependent on how many of the older pads you have, and how many need to be used with the acid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkritsilas View Post
    Maybe a way around that is to use any older, less than perfect pads that you already have with the acid, and order new pads for use with paint. This is of course, very dependent on how many of the older pads you have, and how many need to be used with the acid.
    Well I is ALOT of pads for acid polishes, like I can easily go through a dozen on a weekend

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234