autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Gg 3"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gg 3"

looks like the bearings on the spindle wouldn't last too long with that set up.

Post Thanks / Like

Had it for a yr and put them away! Not powerful at all. Just recently took it out and did the windows and headlights.... now I'm digging it. Might pick up tthe 32mm BP and extension from Buff Daddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    People who have used the new thin LC pads on them say it makes it a very affective tool. When all that was available were the thicker pads there were a lot of complaints about the lack of power.

Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad System 3.5 Inch
    My thoughts exactly.

Since the ThinPros a great machine with msnu more uses.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. It's like a whole new machine with the thin pads (BOSS or LC thin pros). Those who have given up might be glad they gave it a second chance with the new pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got my GG3 HD Model last week. Used it to apply Fuzion to my daily driver. The one-handed action is a really nice departure from using two hands, especially on the roof and hood and I really couldn't be more pleased with it.

I can see how people don't like the bogging down using regular pads and I'm going to order some LC thin pros. I don't have much doubt they will work well.

I could see how the relatively thick pad can cause too much dampening from polisher to paint surface relative to the throw of the DA. The surface area of a circular pad varies as the radius squared. This surface area is also responsible for maintaining a certain amount of rigidity between the backing plate and pad surface.

3" Pad - 7.06 square inches
    5" Pad - 19.63 square inches
    6" Pad - 28.27 square inches

The short throw of the GG3 is over-dampened by the relatively wide area between paint surface and backing plate coupled to a small surface area in the horizontal directions. By narrowing the area between backing plate and paint surface there is less pad material to dampen/flex the surface of the pad.

In other words, if you take this to the extreme with a 1" pad, it is easy to visualize how ineffective that would be for polishing because the pad would simply absorb all lateral movement from the DA and the surface touching the paint would never move.

Post Thanks / Like

as i mentioned in another thread or post(s), try using these 3.5" FAST cutting microfiber pads with the GG3 if you want more cut. they have no foam interface as it's just the hook and loop (velcro) and microfiber itself...

Griots Garage 3.5 inch Micro Fiber FAST Cutting Pad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    as i mentioned in another thread or post(s), try using these 3.5" FAST cutting microfiber pads with the GG3 if you want more cut. they have no foam interface as it's just the hook and loop (velcro) and microfiber itself...

Griots Garage 3.5 inch Micro Fiber FAST Cutting Pad
    Would these work for headlights, perhaps with M105 to get rid of wet-sanding lines?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    Would these work for headlights, perhaps with M105 to get rid of wet-sanding lines?
    funny you mention that, that's what i first used them on and they cleared up some really oxidized headlights really well...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    funny you mention that, that's what i first used them on and they cleared up some really oxidized headlights really well...
    Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Just added them to my wishlist on AG.

Post Thanks / Like

I use thinpros on my GG3 and like them better than the boss pads it came with if you're trying to work any kind of polish. I basically run it full out all the time on speed 6, until it heats up too much then I back it down to 4.5-5 or give it a rest. I find it's the only way to keep the plate spinning.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345