autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting back into personal car care

For the first time in a while, I'm finally getting back in to needing to care about detailing. I have a Titan truck that's just a work truck and a 2000 Camaro SS that barely moves and it still beading water from the last time I applied Zaino nearly 10 years ago. A couple of weeks ago we bought a Yukon SLT for my wife's daily driver. It's black on black, hence my concern with keeping it looking nice.

I immediately sprung up conversations with a friend who does detailing to get caught up on what's changed in the last 10 years as far as detailing is concerned. Apparently a lot.

The conversation started with more traditional methods and current products that would take care of keeping the truck looking nice. Then it slowly drifted toward some of the much more convenient methods. Since it's winter I landed on ONR. I ordered a gallon of the product plus some other general use products since most of what I had from back when I used to do minor detailing is old and worn out.

I'm looking forward to the info that I can gain from this site and what seems like some very knowledgeable people. Now if it would just stop raining...

I'll upload a pic of the Yukon when I get home later.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting back into personal car care

My first bit of research is going to be on finding something to remove the current wax on the vehicle so I can start fresh. I've heard Dawn, but then heard no on that. I saw something called clean slate, but then saw a video on that which didn't look to convincing on it's ability to remove wax, so I'm still on the hunt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joshs2000ss View Post
    My first bit of research is going to be on finding something to remove the current wax on the vehicle so I can start fresh. I've heard Dawn, but then heard no on that. I saw something called clean slate, but then saw a video on that which didn't look to convincing on it's ability to remove wax, so I'm still on the hunt.
    I use clean slate (2-4oz) with 2oz of CG APC added to it, and it seems to break down most waxes/sealants fairly evenly. You can use dawn, just need to mix it with some car shampoo or APC to give it some lubricity. A polish pad with some Megs 205 will take down 99% of anything left on the car, if you have a machine avaliable to you.

Post Thanks / Like

I use chemical guys citrus wash. Works well for me. I also use G-Techniq panel wipe when I went to sterilize my surfaces - Usually right after poloishing and before a coating. You may also consider claying and an iron-x type product to really decontaminate your surface.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome in to da house, Josh! If you will be machine polishing there won't be any old wax or sealant left. One of the biggest changes in the past 10 years has been more thorough steps to decontaminate. Claying after a wash was certainly around back then but a lot of us now add a ferrous metal remover into the process to remove and help dissolve imbedded metal slivers from the paint. The best time to do that, for me anyway, is right after the wash and before i clay. I use Iron X but there are several products for that.

With regard to clay, I now use a Nanoskin mitt and have sped up the clay step significantly.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a nano skin sponge to clay with based on recommendations. I'll check out the ferrous metal remover products as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Both excellent ideas and a good way to get your paint as clean as possible.