autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Recommendations for backing plate and pads for my GG

My gf got me a griots garage random orbital so I'm trying to piece together everything I need. My kit so far is Meguiars clay bar kit, ultimate compound, ultimate polish, ultimate wax. I like Meguiars.

Now I want to get the backing plate and I like what I'm reading about the Lake Country's flex plate, the Flex XC3401? But it seems to be only for the Flex orbital polisher. Is there a different one for others or will that one fit? Also my GG came with a 6 or 6.5" plate already but I would like to use 5.5" pads as I hear it's easier that way. Is there a step that would be easier with the bigger plate?

Lastly, can someone recommend me good pads? I read I need 6 for the compound, 1 for polishing, and 1 for wax/sealing. Which brand/colors of pads are good.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommendations for backing plate and pads for my GG

Quote Originally Posted by kolkim View Post
    My gf got me a griots garage random orbital so I'm trying to piece together everything I need. My kit so far is Meguiars clay bar kit, ultimate compound, ultimate polish, ultimate wax. I like Meguiars.

Now I want to get the backing plate and I like what I'm reading about the Lake Country's flex plate, the Flex XC3401? But it seems to be only for the Flex orbital polisher. Is there a different one for others or will that one fit? Also my GG came with a 6 or 6.5" plate already but I would like to use 5.5" pads as I hear it's easier that way. Is there a step that would be easier with the bigger plate?

Lastly, can someone recommend me good pads? I read I need 6 for the compound, 1 for polishing, and 1 for wax/sealing. Which brand/colors of pads are good.

Cheers!
    There are many great pads, I've used the lake country, some people will say buff n shine.. I've even used the harbor freight, I can say the habor freight one is already getting worn after one use/wash, the lake countrys are still holding up great.

Typically you use something like an orange pad with ultimate compound, white polishing pad with ultimate polish and a applicator pad with ultimate wax. Did you get the paste or liquid version. I honestly get more life out of the liquid version on my paint.

Ultimate compound is real good for what it is, you can pick up a bottle at walmart for $7-$8 cant beat that. It removes defects and leaves a great finish, but I've used ultimate polish once and never needed it again. I like m205 better it seems like the ultimate polish more cleaning features but regardless you can go wrong with that setup.

There are many backing plates typically the generic ones on AG has never failed me. The 5" is way to go, but it takes longer with the bigger pads you will be able to go more farther more quicker.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AG.

I think Griots 5" backing plate would probably be your best option.

Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate

It was designed for the GG6 and may be better balanced than other options.

For pads you might want to go with Griots BOSS pads. They are very thin and should rotate well but other thin pads should work well too. The BOSS cutting pads (white and orange) are really stiff though and may seem kind of odd to work with at first.

Lake Country flat pads aren't bad and are very cost effective. They are thicker, softer, and may give you a more comfortable feel while using them. Although the thicker/softer foam pads may increase your working time a little more. B&S Flat foams are similar and some say they are more durable.

I think Griots regular pads should be similar to the LC and B&S.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...uld-proud.html

6 for compounding would be good, but 6 polishing pads would be good also if the cutting pads end up being too aggressive. One for waxing would be fine.

Here's a good video if you haven't seen it.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...rt-finish.html

Here's another thread too

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ss-pads-2.html

Post Thanks / Like

Go with the Griots Garage 5" backing plate and the 5.5" Griots BOSS pads.....can't go wrong...you can put your own grouping of the pads together if you buy them at Autogeek.....and doing so will save you money to boot

Post Thanks / Like

Recommendations for backing plate and pads for my GG

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kolkim View Post

Cheers!
    PM sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the help guys. 1 more question, Do I need to compound the whole car? or just the areas with scratches and then polish the whole car.

Post Thanks / Like

No, that's up to you and what you feel the vehicle needs and/or the time you have available.

On several vehicles I have done just spot correction for some of the deeper scratches before polishing or using an all in one product.

If the condition of the paint is really bad, I guess it could be noticeable if your cutting step is heavy just on the spots and your polishing step is light.

Post Thanks / Like

5.5" boss pads. Not much you can't do with that setup.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

yes, 100% agree with the GG vented plate, I love it on my GG and I run it with BOSS pads as well. I like to use MF pads more now then foam, faster results and faster clean up. together with fast correcting cream or many other compounds/polishes and sealants its a great machine to have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast