autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SCANGRIP Sunmatch - Showing Wet Sanding Scratches and Holograms

I need them too but I put 6500K high lumen LED lights on my spotlight cases. It does the work now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonguard View Post
    I need them too but I put 6500K high lumen LED lights on my spotlight cases. It does the work now.

I would love the Scangrip too, but my 600 lumen flashlight works very well. At times I have to pull the light further away from the paint because it is too bright and the light washes out my ability to actually see anything

Post Thanks / Like

Another trick I've learned with these new high power lights is checking glass for small streaks, smears, of the occasional total missed spot. Bring the car in your garage and turn off the lights. Shine the flashlight at the glass at the right angle and you can see the smallest of imperfections. Inside, in the dark it also makes it easy to tell if the imperfection is exterior or interior.

If I was doing this professionally and needing concours level paint perfection I would be checking each stage of my work in the dark with a Scangrip or equivalent. You cannot miss an imperfection when you are literally scanning every square inch after each step.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    I would love the Scangrip too, but my 600 lumen flashlight works very well. At times I have to pull the light further away from the paint because it is too bright and the light washes out my ability to actually see anything
    Saw a video somewhere about holding light away from you and shine back towards you at 45 degree angle to surface. Made a world of difference.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

Saw a video somewhere about holding light away from you and shine back towards you at 45 degree angle to surface. Made a world of difference.

That's correct. Also - You don't hold the light right next to the paint, hold it about a foot or so off the surface. About 2' off the surface if trying to find holograms or capture them with a camera.

6. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234