autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

My water system is finally where I want it!

I HATE cords. I hate wires. I SUPER HATE hoses on the ground.
    Ive also never been a fan of the gas blowers we dry cars with, mixing gas etc. Just as annoying to me is the gas power washer you must pull start, and go back to shut off, leading to many trips back and fourth, and much wasted time. Having spent a lot of time in my former engineering career prior to moving to design work, I was involved in "LEAN"ing out manufacturing processes and increasing output of systems. It bothers me to my core to waste footsteps and minutes let alone seconds.

So I bought this electric power washer, tore it apart, put half the crap in the box and took it all to the dumpster. I then powder coated the frame, and drilled holes for new mounting locations for the components I did want to keep.

I rotated the farm 90 degrees, moved the motor forward, relocated the hose reel to the top, and a few other changes all to make the components usable when mounted nearly flush to the wall. I also hooked up the water supply with some clear hose and barbs-garden hose fittings. Its all hung on the wall with some uni-strut, powder coated of course.

Everything is available from Home Depot for ~$200. The unit has less power than the gas powered we switched over from, but theres not too much on a car that can actually hold up to 3500psi anyway.

Now its as simple as turning on the power washer, turning on the water, and getting to work, easily moving around the vehicle having pressure when I need it and being able to set down the wand and get back to hand work without that trip to the shrieking pressure washer to shut it off and regain my sense of hearing. (My neighbors will probably be pleased as well) Hit the off switch, roll of the hose, walk away.
    Also, heres my complete water purification system on the other side of the wall. My customers and friends know how fond of my water I am, its kind of my "thing". Water nerd.

Clarity Auto Detailing
    Houston, TX

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My water system is finally where I want it!

Very nice set up Curtis!

Tell me, how long do the filters last? Are they reuseable or just a replace type of deal? I'm unsure what the weather does in Houston but I'm guessing Winter can get rather cold - is your wash bay an internal one? Would love to see some pics of the shop complete if/when you guys are done, even better a virtual tour!

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Super Member coles_paint_correction's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn that's awesome, and i completely agree with cords in general weather it's the electric leaf blower or pressure washer for me lol.
    Always trying to think of ways to help solve issues in general.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by casvg5 View Post
    I HATE cords. I hate wires. I SUPER HATE hoses on the ground.
    Ive also never been a fan of the gas blowers we dry cars with, mixing gas etc. Just as annoying to me is the gas power washer you must pull start, and go back to shut off, leading to many trips back and fourth, and much wasted time. Having spent a lot of time in my former engineering career prior to moving to design work, I was involved in "LEAN"ing out manufacturing processes and increasing output of systems. It bothers me to my core to waste footsteps and minutes let alone seconds.

So I bought this electric power washer, tore it apart, put half the crap in the box and took it all to the dumpster. I then powder coated the frame, and drilled holes for new mounting locations for the components I did want to keep.

I rotated the farm 90 degrees, moved the motor forward, relocated the hose reel to the top, and a few other changes all to make the components usable when mounted nearly flush to the wall. I also hooked up the water supply with some clear hose and barbs-garden hose fittings. Its all hung on the wall with some uni-strut, powder coated of course.

Everything is available from Home Depot for ~$200. The unit has less power than the gas powered we switched over from, but theres not too much on a car that can actually hold up to 3500psi anyway.

Now its as simple as turning on the power washer, turning on the water, and getting to work, easily moving around the vehicle having pressure when I need it and being able to set down the wand and get back to hand work without that trip to the shrieking pressure washer to shut it off and regain my sense of hearing. (My neighbors will probably be pleased as well) Hit the off switch, roll of the hose, walk away.
    Also, heres my complete water purification system on the other side of the wall. My customers and friends know how fond of my water I am, its kind of my "thing". Water nerd.

nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I had similar ideas for mounting my electric pressure washer but mine doesn't have a metal frame so mounting would take a little thinking . Its perfect for washing cars but its output is a little weak for any other cleaning so I really don't need it to be mobile and can borrow a gas one when needed.

Whats all involved with your water purification? I have hard water and iron from my well at home.
    Dave Bulgrin's Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Looks awesome. I love watching people come up with their own solutions to stuff like this; I have a lot of trouble imagining an end result and working backwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Looks awesome. I love watching people come up with their own solutions to stuff like this; I have a lot of trouble imagining an end result and working backwards.
    That vision is something I've always seemed to have but I think it is a practiced and learned skill.

Quote Originally Posted by 96z28 View Post
    I had similar ideas for mounting my electric pressure washer but mine doesn't have a metal frame so mounting would take a little thinking . Its perfect for washing cars but its output is a little weak for any other cleaning so I really don't need it to be mobile and can borrow a gas one when needed.

Whats all involved with your water purification? I have hard water and iron from my well at home.
    The water system is a primarily softener that feeds an industrial reverse osmosis filtration system, which feeds the 200 Gallon storage. Reverse Osmosis that is this fine is a slow process, so the water is pre filtered and stored for use.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Very nice set up Curtis!

Tell me, how long do the filters last? Are they reuseable or just a replace type of deal? I'm unsure what the weather does in Houston but I'm guessing Winter can get rather cold - is your wash bay an internal one? Would love to see some pics of the shop complete if/when you guys are done, even better a virtual tour!

Aaryn NZ.
    The system recycles itself, the only thing we do is add Salt to the water softener. We've used it nearly every single day for 3 years without replacing the filters, and it still puts out water with an undetectable amount (to most TDS testers) of total dissolved solids. The water is practically distilled.

Ill surely be putting up some finished shop photos soon. Im hoping to have Corey host Verge here next year.
    Clarity Auto Detailing
    Houston, TX

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: My water system is finally where I want it!

Very nice set up !

And my dad thought i was weird for being picky about the unfiltered water being used on our cars XD Glad to see PRO bring this up

We have a smaller set up at home