autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Detailing a customers car at home vs. a self wash car wash

Hello everyone! (i'm new to the forum)

Background: I'm currently a college student and decided i would detail cars on the side for money. Most of the time, I pick up clients cars from their work or house (if they leave nearby) and bring it to my house to work on it.

Concern: I am located in California so I am aware of our water shortage problem. I try and use as little water as possible when i detail a car, however, i manage to use a lot of water even with conscious effort. Near my house is a self wash car wash place with a pressure washer hose and everything you would need for $3 for 5 minutes. I like to maintain high-integrity with my quality of work, but also would like to lower the cost of my water bill. If I brought the car to the self wash place, but only used the pressurized washer and bring my own shampoo and mitts, would that be a good idea?

Thanks a lot!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing a customers car at home vs. a self wash car wash

Your idea would work fine. Another option is investing in a rinseless wash like Optimum No Rinse which will aid you in your water conservation.

Optimum No Rinse (ONR) Essentials Wash Kit

If the car is super dirty then you will either have to wash it with a traditional soap and bucket or rinse off the heavy dirt and then follow up with an ONR wash.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice! I've looked into ONR but have read some reviews where if the car is too dirty it won't work as effectively like you said. Right now, I really like how Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo is works especially for dirty cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ohdayum1234 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I've looked into ONR but have read some reviews where if the car is too dirty it won't work as effectively like you said. Right now, I really like how Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo is works especially for dirty cars.
    Which is why I was saying you have the option to give the car an initial rinse to remove the heavy dirt and then follow up with ONR. Will save you a bit of water if you choose to do it at home.

Then you can use what you have as long as you use the proper wash tools.

This is another option that could probably net you some good money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbKbNXqfnM8

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You`d be surprised how far you can actually push ONR. I rinseless washed cars during winter months in Syracuse,NY. Obviously, I would pressure rinse first. But for you OP....

Most of the time, its the lower valences along with wheel/tires, and wells that are the dirtiest. Pre-soak those areas with ONR in a spray bottle and then rinseless wash. If really dirty, pressure rinse those areas. This will save you the time, risk, and money of driving a customer`s car down to the car wash and back. Also, be very careful. California has recently made some changes law wise regarding car washes, and detailers are included in that group. Get legal before anything else. Good luck!

Also, ONR is really good for interior wipe downs, window cleaner, and in steamer. It really is a versatile chemical.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add to CarolinasFinestDetailing, the more time you spend driving the customers car, the more liability your incur in the event of an accident.
    If you are driving customers vehicles, you better make sure you're properly insured... Speak to your insurance broker. It's all good until something bad happens.
    If someone other than the insured is driving a vehicle covered by comprehensive coverage and is not listed as a covered driver – even if the other person has permission – the other person might not be covered in an accident.

Post Thanks / Like

My 1st thought is the lack of a crevasse tool for the vacuum... That would bug me right off the bat. Lol.
    If you're mainly going there for just the water, I'd at the most make use of the power washer and that's about it. Things can go rinseless after that if you're flexible. Totally doable... But not exactly convenient. They're totally screwing us in California as far as this whole water situation.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice! I like the power of the pressure wash too so i think ill bring my personal vehicle to the wash next time and practice the whole process... as soon as i order some ONR!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, I've heard of stories of people getting fined a serious amount just for washing their cars. The vacuum i think i will use at the self wash just to get the larger parts of carpet and seats, and perhaps bring it back to my garage and use a personal vacuum

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ohdayum1234 View Post
    Agreed, I've heard of stories of people getting fined a serious amount just for washing their cars. The vacuum i think i will use at the self wash just to get the larger parts of carpet and seats, and perhaps bring it back to my garage and use a personal vacuum
    Ahh I'll try and forget I just read that! Lol. *knocks on wood*

Something I once did, only because it was after dark and I just felt like relieving some stress that night was quikly rinse my car here at home, then drive to the coin op just over a mile away with my 2 buckets full of suds and mitts. I washed my car and at the end sprayed my wheel and tire cleaner, quikly brushed the wheels & tires and then finally put in 3 bucks to start the pressure rinse. And since it was after dark it was nice and peacefull, no people trying to rush you.. Just 2 other random people washing a few stalls over just like me, in peace and quiet. Lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast