autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do we do when a customer brings in a coated car?

Quote Originally Posted by waelwell View Post
    Eldorado2k - the buffer is a Griot's G15, the pad was Griot's Microfiber Pad and the most aggressive product I had on hand that day was Meguiar's D300. The customer wasn't full of it, he was clueless.

But we're off topic....

#1 - If a car comes in with an unknown history, is there a way to tell for sure if it has a coating?

#2 - What services do you offer customers with coated cars?

Thanks,

Bill
    You have some good questions - if the car received a pro coating, unless the car gets sold, the owner would most likely take it back to the installer. If the car gets sold, well, you may never know, but with Opti Coat, we have a sticker that we try to have the customer put on the window and another one that goes on then back of the rear view mirror that says this vehicle is Opti Coated and"DO NOT" wash and the reasons why. Other pro coatings should have similar things available. With consumer versions or dealer applied coatings the best way to find out is to ask the owner. if there is no answer to it, just do what you did.

Post Thanks / Like

"Carnauba, which is carnaúba, with stress on the u, like carnauhba, is a palm tree native of the northeast of Brazil, and there are three different main types of products obtained from it, with three different colors, depending on the place of the palm tree the material is obtained.
    Probably every wax on the planet has a Brazilian DNA, and it is big business for three states that produces most of it."
    I grow some of the wax palms at my tree farm here in S. Florida.I have often brought leaves to autogeek to show people what they look and feel like.It must be hard work harvesting the leaves in Brazil similar to acai berries.(I pronounce it A- SA- E-A) .Do you remember MONAVIE?
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57BORNTORUN View Post
    "Carnauba, which is carnaúba, with stress on the u, like carnauhba, is a palm tree native of the northeast of Brazil, and there are three different main types of products obtained from it, with three different colors, depending on the place of the palm tree the material is obtained.
    Probably every wax on the planet has a Brazilian DNA, and it is big business for three states that produces most of it."
    I grow some of the wax palms at my tree farm here in S. Florida.I have often brought leaves to autogeek to show people what they look and feel like.It must be hard work harvesting the leaves in Brazil similar to acai berries.(I pronounce it A- SA- E-A) .Do you remember MONAVIE?
    Yes, it is, Sir, lots of labour.The açaí pronunciation is almost there, it would be A - SA - EEH, lol.
    I asked a friend of mine, owner of a Brazilian Nuba manufacturer, if he could send me a pic of the three main types so I could post it here.
    Best regards

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a learning curve for you mate.

If you had fully and completely inspected the car with the correct type of lighting you would have noticed the strange brush marks and could have shown the customer whilst they were there.

When anyone brings a car to me, the first thing I do is inspect it outside in daylight, then roll it into the garage, put the lights off and then inspect with a few different forms of lighting...after these two steps you will see every mark and defect.

So if someone brings a car with an unknown history (I treat every car like this no matter what the customer says) then inspect, inspect and inspect some more.

For dealing with a car with a coating, other than removing the coating I just treat the car and try to de-contaminate the paintwork as gently as possible if the coating is still working well, otherwise I would recommend polishing and removing what's left of the coating then apply a fresh wax/sealant/coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdekany View Post
    ... with Opti Coat, we have a sticker that we try to have the customer put on the window and another one that goes on then back of the rear view mirror that says this vehicle is Opti Coated and"DO NOT" wash...
    Now you've got me REALLY curious. With all the big deal that is being made about paint coatings, why wouldn't you be able to wash the car?

Bill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123