autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Help! Having the hardest time removing caked and baked on dirt from exterior of car.

I haven't been using this vehicle (2001 dodge/chrysler intrepid es) and have had to keep it parked in my driveway, exposed to the sun and weather for the past three years. I am sure i deserve and should've expected the following issues yet definitely didn't. I was making a point to wash it at least before winter, (illinois) and mid-summer. I'm sure I'll sound really ridiculous and uh...not too bright, but it seemed to be sufficient and then all the sudden last year in october i noticed there was a sort of visibly dull and dusty feeling layer of what i assume was sun-baked dirt and or hard water from the rain. Washed it several times to no avail. Spring of this year advanced to a white speckling on random areas of the roof that i had thought was exposed primer. Tried different suggestions i'd read online to clean it which include CLR, vinegar, lemon juice, wd40 and dishsoap. I also tried spot testing polishing compounds, wet sanding and also metal and glass cleaner meant to remove oxidation. Out of desperation i soaked a spot in CLR for a couple minutes which barely softened the crud but made it possible to carefully scrape off flakes of the residue with a razor blade. It was like scraping off dried super-glue. However, beneath lo' and behold the paint and the top coat was intact. Does anyone know what, if anything, i can do myself to remove the shell of dirt and hard water? It does run btw, just incase anyone is wondering considering how long it's been stored.

The first attatched picture is of the roof, the only clear spot showing is where i scraped. It's a lot shinier than the photograph captured, cloudy day. Second photograph is of the hood. Top left hand corner shows true clear-coat peeling. Not much i can do about that, i'm just focused on removing the dirty dull area below it.

[ATTACH]undefined[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help! Having the hardest time removing caked and baked on dirt from exterior of car.-20160803_152548-jpg   Help! Having the hardest time removing caked and baked on dirt from exterior of car.-20160803_152530-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help! Having the hardest time removing caked and baked on dirt from exterior of car.

Failed clear coat. Needs repaint.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help! Having the hardest time removing caked and baked on dirt from exterior of car.

As Mike has said, there is nothing for sale in a bottle that will restore failed clearcoat...

You will ned to approach a body shop / paint shop and enquire about having it repainted.
    It will not be cheap, and likely the whole car would need doing as areas ehich have not failed will often not be far behind....

Its one of theos moments when you have to decide if the vehicle warrants the investment of if you are better to part ex it for something else and
    care for it in such a way as you prevent this recurring... paint care dosn't have to be expensive or complicated....

All the best

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...rainwater.html

No need to post 2 threads. Same answer in both. CC failure

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, didn't mean to post two threads. I had been using my phone and it was the first time I'd used this site or this forum. Apologies.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the jerk of a response. I didn't mean for it to come off that way!