autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Must use car cover daily. Recommendations for best way to protect the finish.

My son is being sold a 2000 Toyota by his grandfather. One of the conditions of the sale is that this previously garaged car be covered nightly.

I'm of the belief that a cover should only be applied to a newly cleaned car, but Grandpa is firm.

I'm thinking a QD applied to a plush microfiber for a quick 5 minute wipe down before putting the cover on.

What are the opinions on the best way for my son to protect his paint while at the same time adhering to his agreement? (And please don't suggest anything that doesn't included using the cover - it's a deal breaker.)
    Last edited by BM1024; 07-18-2016 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Formatting

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Must use car cover daily. Recommendations for best way to protect the finish.

I'd use a waterless wash rather than a QD. Of course I don't like waterless washes much, so I'd use a rinseless wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Must use car cover daily. Recommendations for best way to protect the finish.

Look for another car would be my suggestion. Unless this car is some sort of rare item that investing in a 2500$ clear bra treatment is worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Some inevitable truths I've learned about car covers.

That no matter if the car is garaged and covered, or not garaged and covered, (the latter is what I do with my Tahoe in my Avatar) fact is, a car cover will eventually get dirty.

It is this as one cause that will eventually cause marring. It will happen to a lesser extent to a garaged vehicle that is covered, but outdoors, and due to blowing winds, dirts-dusts will eventually get under the cover no matter how tightly you "wrap" the vehicle with all the cords, and straps you would care to use.

The other I've found, and it has happened with two covercraft covers I've owned, the softer NOAH, and the more heavy duty but tougher Weathershield HD Cover, that with winds, and a combination of dirts/dusts and the seams, you very might well get marring where there are strategic seams in the cover.

Here in the southwest desert, it is not unusual to get 30-40 MPH winds and gusts.

The cover will billow, and lift and drop repeatedly, and again, no matter how well you tie down a cover.

And in regards to that, I found that with the first NOAH cover I had, the more I tied it down with gust guard straps, the more stress I placed on the hems, and corners of the cover, and actually accelerated wear, and tearing of this cover.

With my newer Weathershield HD Cover, all I secure the cover with, is the centrally located eyelets on either side for a security cable which goes under the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

I would buy a touchless car cover
    All car covers do are micro Mar when you constantly take on and off

Post Thanks / Like

If the car is a daily driver, covering and uncovering on a daily basis get's old very quick!

Some other alternatives could be like what my Tahoe sits under, a Carport Canopy which does offer some protection, especially from things like damaging hail, and sometimes the brunt of rain storms. The greater the overhang front back, and the sides, the better the protection it will offer against sun (UV damage) and rain.

Another alternative, is a paint coating on the vehicle, which will be more durable than any waxes or sealants

Post Thanks / Like

When I worked and had to leave my car in a parking lot all day long I would always use a cover to minimize the sun damage. Prior to putting the cover on I would use my California Duster to clean the car. The duster itself is the subject of many debates but that's another discussion.

Regardless of what method you use to clean the car prior to putting the cover on, the cover will cause some minor scratching and swirls over a period of time. In my case, the swirls were the lesser of two evils... swirls can be corrected, sun damage cannot.

If my car had to sit out overnight I wouldn't use a cover. My only criteria for using the cover was for protection from the sun.

I used three different material covers over the years but my favorite is the plain flannel-lined cotton cover. It is by far the gentlest on the paint. It's the "Plushweave" line from California Car Cover.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious about this 16 year old Toyota! Is it a collector? Grandpa won't be very happy when he sees all the scratches the cover will inflict....

Post Thanks / Like

I have a garage queen, which after purchasing a $200++ cover-craft car cover completely marred the paint. Now I have a $200++ car cover that will cover a shelf in my basement for all eternity. I had to do full paint correction a 2nd time and re-apply C.Quartz UK. Lesson learned, park it in the garage and forget about it. If it gets dusty, pull it out and do a NR wash (2bm) with Autogeek NR Wash Mitts, blow dry.

Covering a car just once for a season is a major pain, I could not see covering nightly. What is the reason for covering a 2000 Toyota (unless it's a Baja Race vehicle)????
    Personally, if I had to cover a daily driver every night, I would get another car that didn't require a car cover.

Alternative Solution: Nano-Glass Ceramic coating (McKee's, CQ, CQUK, Opti-Coat, Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating.... list goes on). Self cleaning, scratch resistant, bird-bomb resistant, easy to maintain. A coating will create a ceramic/glass particle bond between your paint and the elements. If properly maintained, coatings can last years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BM1024 View Post
    My son is being sold a 2000 Toyota by
    his grandfather. One of the conditions
    of the sale is that this previously garaged
    car be covered nightly.

I'm of the belief that a cover should only
    be applied to a newly cleaned car,
    but Grandpa is firm.

What are the opinions on the best
    way for my son to protect his paint
    while at the same time adhering to
    his agreement?

(And please don't suggest anything that
    doesn't included using the cover -
    it's a deal breaker.)
    When it comes to the fulfillment
    of this type of transaction:
    Should your Son be forced to either
    honor his Grandfather's conditions;
    or, his Father's belief system?

Whew...
    Glad it's not my call to be made public!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast