autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

BOSS Interflex Pad Issue

I noticed that the inter-flex pads either fall apart, for fly off the BOSS tool while in use. The heat build up essentially melts the hook/loop that keeps it attached to the tool.
    I'm guessing the only work around is to do one panel, change the interflex pad, and do one panel at a time rotating the Intrflex pads.

Is anyone else seeing this issue, and is that how you work-around the issue?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BOSS Interflex Pad Issue

Funny that this topic should pop up today, as I had one melt on me yesterday after 10 minutes of use, destroying some of the H&L on the back of my MF pad in the process. Luckily, no damage occurred to me or my truck, but it was definitely unsettling, to say the least. I contacted Griot's about the issue just this morning, and will let you know what they say.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the Innerflex pads do seem to heat up with extended use, which is unfortunate. Ideally they should only be used as needed, which is on the very curvy areas when the thin pads can stall. If only used on those area they should have no issues and my original beta Innerflex pad is going strong with 18 months of use now.

Call Griot's and have them replace it for you and then just use in the areas where its needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I receive the GG catalogs in the mail every month or two and always look at that pad. I mostly use a rotary but that pad always catches my eye and was always curious on how they work and the results. It's def a unique pad to say the least!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Yeah, the Innerflex pads do seem to heat up with extended use, which is unfortunate. Ideally they should only be used as needed, which is on the very curvy areas when the thin pads can stall. If only used on those area they should have no issues and my original beta Innerflex pad is going strong with 18 months of use now.

Call Griot's and have them replace it for you and then just use in the areas where its needed.
    For me "extended use" was all of 10 minutes, as I was working on the curved sections on the left and right side of my hood:
    BOSS Interflex Pad Issue-hood-jpg

This was the result:
    BOSS Interflex Pad Issue-pad1-jpg

BOSS Interflex Pad Issue-pad2-jpg

On the bright side, the MF pad does a wonderful job on my problematic paint. To say that I am less than impressed so far with the Innerflex pad, however, is an understatement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RavenHawk View Post
    For me "extended use" was all of 10 minutes, as I was working on the curved sections on the left and right side of my hood:

This was the result:

On the bright side, the MF pad does a wonderful job on my problematic paint. To say that I am less than impressed so far with the Innerflex pad, however, is an understatement.
    What speed were you using? How much pressure were you applying? How long did you work the section? Are you blowing pads out with compressed air?

Try back it off to speed 4 and just use the weight of the machine. Working a section for several minutes can heat up the pads too so monitor your pad temps.
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?

Post Thanks / Like

What speed were you using? How much pressure were you applying? How long did you work the section? Are you blowing pads out with compressed air?

Try back it off to speed 4 and just use the weight of the machine. Working a section for several minutes can heat up the pads too so monitor your pad temps.
    I was using it on speed setting #4 and used mostly the weight of the machine, and attacked the section by making diagonal passes. I just finished correcting the top of the hood and used my pad brush to clean it off before starting the sides, so there wasn't an accumulation of caked up product. I just bought the machine on 6/18, and like the way it performs over my GG6, but I am very concerned over what happened and the amount of heat that is being generated.

It seems that there have been a few incidents reported on this very issue, so I'm not sure what to think at this point in time. Perhaps the unit I received is faulty?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RavenHawk View Post
    I was using it on speed setting #4 and used mostly the weight of the machine, and attacked the section by making diagonal passes. I just finished correcting the top of the hood and used my pad brush to clean it off before starting the sides, so there wasn't an accumulation of caked up product. I just bought the machine on 6/18, and like the way it performs over my GG6, but I am very concerned over what happened and the amount of heat that is being generated.

It seems that there have been a few incidents reported on this very issue, so I'm not sure what to think at this point in time. Perhaps the unit I received is faulty?
    No, I think there is definitely a concern with heat and the innerflex, I'm just trying to help see if there is anything that can be done to help you keep it from happening again. Seems you're working the machine properly though.

I rarely find the need to use the innerflex but as I mentioned, I've had my beta unit in use for 18 months and the production unit since it was released and both are still going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

BOSS Interflex Pad Issue

[QUOTE=RaskyR1;1403070] Ideally they should only be used as needed, which is on the very curvy areas when the thin pads can stall.
    /QUOTE]

Show me an area on a 2016 Stingray that isn't curvy. The car has more angles than an F117 Stealth Fighter.

BOSS Interflex Pad Issue-imageuploadedbyagonline1468282469-521211-jpg

BOSS Interflex Pad Issue-imageuploadedbyagonline1468282510-009872-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=paul_g;1403265]
    Ideally they should only be used as needed, which is on the very curvy areas when the thin pads can stall.
    /QUOTE]

Show me an area on a 2016 Stingray that isn't curvy. The car has more angles than an F117 Stealth Fighter.

BOSS Interflex Pad Issue-imageuploadedbyagonline1468282469-521211-jpg

BOSS Interflex Pad Issue-imageuploadedbyagonline1468282510-009872-jpg
    I don't recall any areas where I'd need the Innerflex on that car....granted it wasn't available when I did this one but even today I wouldn't need it. Plenty of areas for 1"-3" work though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast