autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Which machine is best? Orbital, DA Orbital, Random Orbital, Rotary for removing oxidation on gel coat fiberglass RV?

Quote Originally Posted by RV08 View Post

When we purchased the MH the fiberglass was a darker cream color and had a very dull/chalky finish and the graphics were pretty much gone. It had been neglected from the previous owners. The #49 did lighten the cream color of the fiberglass to the stage it is now. We did not have the right buffer or pad.

The graphics are painted on top of the gel-coat by us.

Sounds like a challenge to buff around the graphics. The M49 is a quality compound.

We have a product in our Marine 31 line for gel-coat boats that I prefer as it cuts fast and finishes like a polish. It's called Captain's One-Step Compound & Polish.

I'm guessing to get the best results I would cut first with a wool pad on a rotary as that way I could go up on edge around the painted graphics to focus the wool pad and the compound onto just the gel-coat.

Next I would use the same compound, (Captains Compound), with a foam pad on the FLEX 3401 with a 6.5" blue light cutting Hybrid pad as this would remove the hologram scratches left by the wool pad and leave you a flat but high gloss finish ready to seal with a wax or sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which machine is best? Orbital, DA Orbital, Random Orbital, Rotary for removing oxidation on gel coat fiberglass RV?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Sounds like a challenge to buff around the graphics. The M49 is a quality compound.

We have a product in our Marine 31 line for gel-coat boats that I prefer as it cuts fast and finishes like a polish. It's called Captain's One-Step Compound & Polish.

I'm guessing to get the best results I would cut first with a wool pad on a rotary as that way I could go up on edge around the painted graphics to focus the wool pad and the compound onto just the gel-coat.

Next I would use the same compound, (Captains Compound), with a foam pad on the FLEX 3401 with a 6.5" blue light cutting Hybrid pad as this would remove the hologram scratches left by the wool pad and leave you a flat but high gloss finish ready to seal with a wax or sealant.

Thank you Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Which machine is best? Orbital, DA Orbital, Random Orbital, Rotary for removing oxidation on gel coat fiberglass RV?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

I am trying to decide on using a wax, sealant or wax/sealant when I am finished with the RV. Most of the products have carnauba wax in them. I'm concerned if I use a product with carnauba wax in it; the carnauba wax could cause premature oxidation and/or discoloration from the UV rays of the sun on the white gel-coat/fiberglass of the MH. My MH is always outside in the sun/weather 24/7. I do not know if this can happen, but have heard/read from other's experience this could be a possibility. I don't want to use a product that could cause premature oxidation and especially any discoloration to the white gel-coat/fiberglass.

Would a sealant only be a better option?

Does the gel-coat need to breath since it's porous?

Post Thanks / Like

Bump

Mike Phillips

I am trying to decide on using a wax, sealant or wax/sealant when I am finished with the RV. Most of the products have carnauba wax in them. I'm concerned if I use a product with carnauba wax in it; the carnauba wax could cause premature oxidation and/or discoloration from the UV rays of the sun on the white gel-coat/fiberglass of the MH.

My MH is always outside in the sun/weather 24/7. I do not know if this can happen, but have heard/read from other's experience this could be a possibility. I don't want to use a product that could cause premature oxidation and especially any discoloration to the white gel-coat/fiberglass.

Great questions.

First a carnauba wax or a synthetic sealant or a hybrid which is a product that contains both carnauba wax and man-made or synthetic protection ingredients will not cause oxidation. I explain how oxidation is caused in my how-to book,

The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine

It has to do with free radicals in the air and the molecules that make up the material that "could" oxidize.

Can one of the above products cause discoloration or yellowing? Possibly. Back in the old days when people would layer waxes the waxes would build up and yellow. At least that's what old-timers have led me to believe. I don't think any modern "quality brand name products would cause this problem.

Would a sealant only be a better option?
    For long lasting protection a synthetic product will tend to last longer than a naturally occurring ingredient. At least that's my opinion.

Does the gel-coat need to breath since it's porous?

No. Materials don't breathe. You and I breathe but materials don't breathe.

Materials can outgas but that tends to be when they are new and there are carrying agents, solvents and other ingredients used to manufacture the material or component leave the components, sometimes via evaporation.

Due to the environmental conditions your Motorhome (MH) is exposed to there is no perfect answer or product. We have a gel-coat "coating" in our Marine Line that outlasts traditional waxes and synthetic sealants but it's more steps to apply.

I've been very impressed with a product called SONAX Polymer Net Shield. Or PNS for short. I would suggest looking into this product as an option. SONAX is like the Meguiar's of Europe. That is to say they've been around a long time and have a long record of success when it comes to their chemistry. They truly make some top shelf products. I've never used their product on gel-coat but I'm pretty confident it will work on any clean, hard shiny prepared surface.

On Autogeek.com

SONAX Polymer Net Shield

SONAX Application Sponge

Post Thanks / Like

It would be nice if companies gave some sort of "recommended coverage". Any idea as to how much Sonax might be needed to coat a 40' mh?
    RV Wash & Wax, Repairs, Renovations, Box Trailer Conversions, Woodworking, Honey Do Lists.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much Mike for taking the time out of your busy schedule to respond to my all my questions. I appreciate it. Very helpful. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I'm using a Dewalt rotary buffer with a 100% twisted wool pad on the white gel coat on my RV. I will switch to the Flex 3401 but need advise on the pad to use to remove the swirl marks left behind. I can't see the marks b/c the gel coat is white.

Do I use the Lake Country CCS 6.5 inch Orange Light Cutting Pad or the Purple Foam Wool Pad on the Flex 3401 to remove holograms in the gel coat?

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I'm using a Dewalt rotary buffer with a 100% twisted wool pad on the white gel coat on my RV. I will switch to the Flex 3401 but need advise on the pad to use to remove the swirl marks left behind. I can't see the marks b/c the gel coat is white.

Do I use the Lake Country CCS 6.5 inch Orange Light Cutting Pad or the Purple Foam Wool Pad on the Flex 3401 to remove holograms in the gel coat?

Thank you.
    Please disregard my question. I am going to use the 6.5 Inch Hybrid Power Finish Blue Pad. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12