autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need a new product....

I have been using 3m super duty and perfect it for these past few boats.... And Im sick and tired of the dusting. Recently started to use the M50 to finish off lightly oxidized boats after a polish and fell in love with it so much Im considering moving to the Megs marine line. I was considering the Marine31 line but not all are available in 1 gallon sizes and prices are higher. When working on 25ft offshore center consoles to 60ft sportfishers I go through alot of product and need to keep my profits high. With the Megs marine line the prices are right and are readily available in 1 gallon sizes. I operate in south Texas where its hot and humid all summer long. Need products that will work in these situations; not dry up, be difficult to remove, as well as work with both rotary and my Flex 3401.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need a new product....

Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

I can't tell you how it works in your climate because my boat prep season is usually fairly cool, but I've switched to the marine 31 line as of last year and have loved it. Pretty much 0 dust off the compound and I've had great results with it using my pe14 3401 and boss 21.

I typically only do 3-4 boats a year because I don't have enough time to work away from my shop and the prep season is so short from when the weather breaks enough to do the work till the boats are in the water.

Post Thanks / Like

If you go with Meguiar's, then skip the M50 and go these two... the first of which cuts hard and finishes great like a polish... Meguiars M67 One Step Marine Compound . If you need more cut, then use this Meguiars Marine/RV #91 Power Cut Compound, marine compound, boat polish, gelcoat compound and follow with M67.

Comparable to M67 is 3M Marine Compound & Finishing Material - 06044 and captains compound, one step boat compound polish, compound for black boat . If I were you I'd keep some 3M SD around just in case though.

I would truthfully skip the 3M and Meguiar's products and simply go with the Marine31. Why? Simply...the most modern polishes and compounds available for gel-coat today. Sun friendly, modern abrasive technology, and Mike's personal touch went into ensuring the highest quality products available. I think you'll use less product with them and get less dusting too.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

When I do boats rarely,I use shurhold buff magic.nice cut and is a performer.I mix it with menzern intense polish to keep the working time a little bit longer.you will definetly have to follow up with a polish afterwards this is not a standalone product.I hate doing boats period,but if the money is right I will make a exception and this was the only product that I use and tossed out many of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feed back. My issue with Marine 31 is that they arnt all available in gallon sizes. Id really like to hear more about the Captains one step before I drop 250 dollars on a gallon of product. I would actually much rather test it on a boat first and with it being 60 dollars for a small bottle its still high. I dont mind spending money on top quaility products but I have to be realistic with myself and keep profit margins high. I do on average 2-3 boats a week and dont/wont ever touch a vehicle... With 70% of them being medium to heavily oxidized. If this product can cut out an extra step on a medium oxidized boat and still leave the proclaimed finish that I can follow up with a wax or even a cleaner wax then I can justify buying it.

Id really like to keep it down to three compounds on site to keep everything as simple as possible.

With that being said I hate working with 3m SD. Its a mess. And its brown which stains.

Post Thanks / Like

Medium oxidation menzerna cut and gloss.for heavey oxidation scholls is a very nice line,as with shurhold.scholls will cut and finish like a polish and you will save time there.after your first wash have you ever thought of washing with a 2000 grade sanding disc,that would speed things up.This is why I don't like doing boats to much time and a pita.

Post Thanks / Like

Scholls s2 Orange heavey cut.Ive used that to resurrect a rv from death.

Post Thanks / Like

Buff Magic is awesome. They have two versions, white and pink...most aggressive to least aggressive. Pink, the less aggressive of the two, still has a ton of cut and finishes very nice. I've used the pink on a horrible 1976 Boston Whaler using with a rotary and wool cutting pad then a wool polishing pad and it turned out sweet. They told me at Boston Whaler the finish was toast. Three years later the boat still has at least some of the shine I put on it and it sits out 24/7/365 and hasn't been detailed since I worked on it ( I knew that would happen).
    Bill